What are the 10 most common semi-auto pistols in use right now?

This is a discussion on What are the 10 most common semi-auto pistols in use right now? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are you talking personal weapons only, or are duty weapons included? The .40 Glocks are far and away the most common issue handguns, based on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the 10 most common semi-auto pistols in use right now?

VIP Member
    Are you talking personal weapons only, or are duty weapons included? The .40 Glocks are far and away the most common issue handguns, based on what I've seen and read. The Sig 228/229 is also in the holsters of 10s of thousands of LEOs. If you count the military, add a few thousand more P228s and a few hundred thousand Beretta 92s.

And I think Garry's numbers are only indicative of a very small segment of the gun owning/using population - folks with disposable income, a CCW, and a strong desire for high quality products. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Question is, are your holster sales representative? I'm kind of guessing that there's some correlation between custom gunleather and certain sorts of pistols (1911s, for example). Plus, looking at CCW holsters excludes duty guns entirely, which would be a pretty big portion of the semi-auto market.
    How do you figure that? Glocks and XD's are widely issued as duty weapons - in the case of Glocks they are probably the most commonly issued firearm for duty use in the entire US.

Furthermore, there are WAY more citizens possessing concealed carry licenses out there than there are cops - so duty weapons would be a realitively small "market share" - especially when you consider that many LEO's work in plain clothes and carry exactly the same firearms as do said permit holders...And, those who do work in uniform will most likely carry an "off duty" weapon as well - again usually something from the list that I posted.

So, when you factor all of that in together, concealment holster sales would probably be a pretty accurate guide...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Judging from holster sales, here goes (in no particular order):

5" 1911
    4.25" 1911
    4" 1911
    3"1911
    Glock19/23
    Glock26/27
    4" XD 9/.40
    3" XD 9/.40
    4" XD .45
    Kahr PM-9

(Welcome back, Gary! FYI, I just ordered your PM9 from a retailer to support your cause! )

There's the answer from one who ought to know!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

With the automobile industry, there are industry figures that tally the number of sales by manufacturer. Though there may be such a thing, I know of no such lists maintained by the firearms industry. Anything short of that will simply be guesses, and even then it's likely to not be broken down by specific model of firearm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Glock,Sig,Colt,HK,S&W,Taurus

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Are you talking personal weapons only, or are duty weapons included? The .40 Glocks are far and away the most common issue handguns, based on what I've seen and read. The Sig 228/229 is also in the holsters of 10s of thousands of LEOs. If you count the military, add a few thousand more P228s and a few hundred thousand Beretta 92s.
    I believe OPFOR has nailed it with his post!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links