ND-I Feel Like Crap :(

This is a discussion on ND-I Feel Like Crap :( within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some thing i never thought would ever happen "to me". Today i had an ND :( I cant begin to describe how crappy i feel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ND-I Feel Like Crap :(

ND-I Feel Like Crap :(

Some thing i never thought would ever happen "to me".

Today i had an ND :(

I cant begin to describe how crappy i feel about it. After going over all the steps, time after time, to keep this from happening it happens to me.

I guess im posting to get some positive feedback, some wise instruction, etc. anything to help me get over this stupid mistake i made.

Today my GF and i were on our way out, i have been sick in bed for 2 days and she convinced me to go to the doctor today.

I usually keep my Kimber cocked and locked by the bed during the night, but unload it and carry my .380 when im out on the streets.

So i drop the magazine, clear the chamber and release the hammer by dry firing in a safe direction. I pop the magazine back in and prepare to lock it in its case. My GF asks if i always have a round in the chamber and i reply with a yes. I tell her that it wouldnt do me any good if there werent one in there.

As i tell her that it doesnt take too long to rack the slide, i rack the slide to show her and tell her that in an emergency, i dont want to have to rack a round and that it takes two hands to do so.

Well, at that moment, i forget that i had replaced the magazine :(

I point the gun at my bed (ground) and pull the trigger to release the hammer. BOOM!

Holy Christ! It went through the my mattress, box spring and stopped in the concrete under the carpet.

I asked my GF if she was ok and apologized without end. I told her how stupid i was and how this could have happened.

I was and still am very very upset with myself :(

I called the police and the first thing that came out of my mouth was:
    "Hi, my name is Henry and id like to report a ND of my firearm"

They arrived and were very very cool. Maybe too cool, the lead guy told me that i wasnt the first and wont be the last to have a ND.

I dont want to forget this and want to take away some wise thoughts and i DONT want this to happen to me EVER again.

Thanks for all you guys/gals input.

God Bless

~Henry

2. Remove Ads

All I can say to that is sorry that it happened. Even the veterans get caught off gaurd. Thats why you always have to be careful. Atleast you were safe about were you were pointing your gun. It can happen to anyone at anytime. Just learn from this experience.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well look at it this way... at least you have another hole.... ok I will stop right there before I get myself in trouble.

You are not the only person I know of that has put a bullet hole through their bed. You also learned a myth that many people believe, YOUR BED IS NOT A SAFE BACKSTOP.

Another person I know had an ND once while aiming at his bed. It went through the mattress, antique heavy oak back board, sheetrock, siding, and impacted into the dirt bank behind his house.

At least you had it in a safe direction. Thats why we always constantly chant "Never point the weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy." There are reason's why many of us have an "onion" layered style of safety rules to follow. That way when we fail at following one safety rule, hopefully the others will keep us from hurting ourselves or others.

Shake it off. Life will keep moving on, and you probably are not the last person to have an ND.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Today at the shotgun range, I saw an adult twit ignore all basic safety guidelines in his attempt to ensure his gun wouldn't jam. During a cease-fire, when the range attendants were out to the trap house to correct an issue with the mechanicals, he proceeds to cycle live rounds through his Remington 11-87. Fired a round off ... though, thankfully the idiot was pointing his barrel skyward as he did that. At which point, he bagged the idea of live rounds and simply kept working the action. In his favor, I believe it was his first time ever firing a shotgun on a trap range.

Compared to this, you merely forgot protocol. Better that, than to ignore it completely (as the dangerous dolt in the above anecdote proved to be).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am sorry that this happened to you. But it will happen occassionally to the best of us, let alone those like me. The important thing is that you were pointing the gun in a safe direction. Holes can be patched, appologies can be accepted. There is not, and should not be, any recovery from the remorse of hurting someone, or worse, killing someone with a ND.

This is also a strong example of what we do with muscle memory. We will perform the way we practice. Our minds may forget that we have changed the normal way we do things, as in this example when he broke the normal routine and re-racked the slide, but our muscles will not. The trigger was pulled because that was the routine, the gun was pointed in a safe direction, because that was the routine. When the two intersected there was an ND, but the routine was based around safe handling rules so the ND didn't turn into a negligent homicide or reckless endangerment.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Administrator
    That was an embarrassing one for sure.
    Luckily you had a carpeted concrete floor.
    Well, one good thing about having a safe direction negligent discharge is that it's not likely that you'll ever have another one exactly like it.

I have heard of that exact same ND happening before.

It could have been a lot worse.
    The important thing is that nobody was hurt or killed.

It's a good thing when the only thing hurt is your pride...you'll get over it.

BTW - If you are just unloading and storing your 1911 for the day then there really is no need for you to pull the trigger to drop the hammer anyway.
    That is not necessary.
    Remove the mag.
    Rack the the slide to clear the chamber.
    Do a quick visual for chamber empty.
    Immediately put the thumb safety back on and leave the pistol cocked & locked on an empty chamber.
    It's not going to hurt or weaken the mainspring any and you'll always treat your firearm as if it's hot.
    Your 1911 does not know if it's day or night and it does not care if it's hammer is dropped on an empty chamber or it stays cocked and locked on an empty or a full chamber.
    You are not making your 1911 "more safe" by having the hammer forward on an empty chamber.
    It is exactly as AS SAFE with the hammer cocked and locked on an empty chamber.

Every single time you pick up a 1911 your trigger finger should (of course) be out of the T-Guard and your thumb should automatically move up to put upward pressure on the thumb safety.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thank you guys!

And Big, i understand how muscle memory played a big part.

I must make it a point to not just do things out of memory, or repetetiveness, but to actually "know" what i am doing and why i am doing it.

However, i think i will adopt another way of doing things.
    Maybe i wont even replace the magazine, and just store it with the slide locked open.

Do you guys think this will wear the spring prematurely?

I believe just about everyone has at least AD, ND, NID, or whatever we're calling it this week, in his past or down the road.

In fact, I'm glad that you shared your experience with us. It is a constant reminder that the firearm will do as told every time we tell it to fire. It has no brain of it's own and does as we tell it to do.

Just dont tell it to fire again unless your on the range or defending yourself.

I've had two ND's in my lifetime. Both were very near to your same case. It was a loooonnnnggg time ago when I just couldn't keep from squeezing that trigger. One was at Ft. Bragg and another in my apartment at Ft. Carson.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Administrator
    The Very Best gun springs are cheap as dirt. Well, almost.
    Gun springs really do not care if they remain compressed within their tolerance range for years at a time.
    On a 1911 your mainspring (hammer spring) can stay compressed all year long and it won't matter a bit.
    But, you should change them periodically anyway.
    Especially your recoil spring if you're shooting lots of hot stuff.

Administrator
    Addition:
    Look on the bright side.
    At least you didn't have a water bed.

I'm just a "Country" boy, but why did the police have to be called???
    Tony

i forget that i had replaced the magazine
    I did the same thing once. Instead of a bed, I killed a wall clock in my store. One thing about it, I bet that it never happens again. I'm sure that this will make you a lot more careful as well.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Glad your OK. It could have been worse though, you could have owned a waterbed.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

It is exactly as AS SAFE with the hammer cocked and locked on an empty chamber.
    My thinking here may be flawed so bear with me. If this is going to be the standard practice, I would imagine it would, over the course of time, be hard to remember if it was an empty chamber or loaded chamber. This, of course, is great in maintaining gun safety as it is always treated as loaded, but in a home defense weapon, how dangerous would it be to have a BG coming at you only to drop the hammer on an empty chamber? If I read correctly, the magazine is reinserted for storage, even if it is not cocked. Therefore, there would have to be constant checking and double checking to make sure that the gun sitting there cocked and locked was indeed loaded or not.
    Just a thought.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

VIP Member
    If something good can come out of this it's what I call "instant-gun-safety-lesson-for-life", and hopefully it will stay with you forever, and that very lesson may prevent the possibility of a future ND with injuries. Certainly I'm glad you and everyone is okay, and while you'd like to get this story "off your chest" by telling us, it also gives us reminders about safety too and is a refresher course for us which raises our safety level. Thanks.

A very similar ND happened to a friend of mine, and I was the first person he called afterwards, the gunsmoke still lingering in the room. He's always been very safe with firearms, but he got caught in a "mental habit deal" sort of like your experience. He was really in a state of shock when he called me. As it happened he had been working on a 1911, changing some part out. He changed it out and with the empty gun he was racking the slide quite a few times, pulling the trigger, to try out and feel it's action, and that everything was okay. Satisfied, he finished, inserted the loaded mag and left the gun in cond 3. Later that evening he picked the gun back up with some further "test dry fiire" in mind, racked the slide and pulled the trigger. The bullet whizzed through his new projection screen tv, through the drywall, completely across the adjoining apartment and buried itself into the drywall without entering another apartment. He flew out the door to the adjoining apartment beating on the door to get the guy who lived there to answer. Surely him coming to the door felt like an eternity. The guy answered the door and was completely unaware of a bullet whizzing across his apartment about 2 feet above the floor. In fact the guy heard the gunshot but thought it was a light bulb blowing somewhere. My friend offered to call the police, especially since he caused property damage and the guy said no. He was remodeling the apartment at the time and said he'd patch the holes......no problem. My friend and his neighbors were VERY lucky, and it has been a good life lesson for him as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links