What do I do with the wife - Page 2

What do I do with the wife

This is a discussion on What do I do with the wife within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 NEVER shoot without wearing protection for both the eyes and ears. Would you try hitting something with your car, not wearing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    NEVER shoot without wearing protection for both the eyes and ears. Would you try hitting something with your car, not wearing a seatbelt, just to see the difference?
    Great point. I'm glad you mentioned EYE protection too. That's also a must. And don't just go with your corrective glasses, if you wear them. Wear overglasses goggles. They offer protection that is far superior to most normal glasses.

Do NOT make her shoot without hearing protection. You will not only hurt her ears, but probably turn her off to the entire experience.
    She will be able to tell with the hearing protection that it is loud and like someone else said here....if a need to shoot happens her adrenaline dump will make it not a problem...at least at the time. I know too many people who have hearing damage from shooting, the poor siren designs from past decades, and other causes.

Now, someone answer that damn phone that has been ringing for years in my ears. (Actually sounds more like crickets)
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well I am going to join everyone else and

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS HEARING PROTECTION!!!

Sorry. None of us want to see you make a potentially devestating mistake that spans on so many levels with your wife.

On the bright side, if she ever were in a self defense situation, chances are she will think afterwards that the gun did not sound loud enough and that the bad guy had a cannon.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Definitely hearing protection. In a situation where you need a gun, the noise of firing will be a relatively small distraction.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Start with a .22. Always.

When the time comes for a serious weapon, don't YOU pick her gun out. Men generally select what they themselves want, and it might be more than a woman feels comfortable with. A .357 isn't a great choice for a starter, especially a short barreled one.

Learning to shoot needs to be a pleasant experience. If it isn't, the pupil will just walk away from it. My suggestion for a starter centerfire gun would be a 4" .38 Special revolver using target wadcutter loads to begin with.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to teach my wife to shoot. I'd find an NRA certified instructor to do it. I find that it's easier to instruct someone that doesn't have a personal relationship with me. They accept criticism better from someone they don't have to live with.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    DON'T have her shoot without hearing protection anywhere near the beginning. I wouldn't do it at all, but DEFINITELY not when she is starting out.

When you're actually in a firefight you don't hear your own gun anyway.

Always eyes & ears, start out with a .22, or even a BB gun, and take it slow and easy. Getting the basic safety and gun-handling down is easier with a nice .22. Don't worry about stance or anything else. If she decides she wants to pursue firearms proficiency, buy her a class... female-only if they have one. It's like teaching your wife (or husband) to drive a stick. Better to have someone else do it. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    When the time comes for a serious weapon, don't YOU pick her gun out. Men generally select what they themselves want, and it might be more than a woman feels comfortable with. A .357 isn't a great choice for a starter, especially a short barreled one.
    True enough... but it often goes the other way as well. Men pick out pop-guns for their wives/ GFs/ daughers... when they really can handle a more capable weapon.

Where's Lima when you need her?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

ckd
    Another vote for hearing protection, even add ear plugs if she finds its too loud with just the muffs.

Agree with a 22lr and moving up in caliber as she develops confidence, often starting with even just a 38 in a small frame steel gun is too much.

My question is i always stress safety but i thought that maybe she should shoot at least one round [ 38. spl ] without hearing protection so that in a non training situation she would know what to expect.
    With all due respect that is a really dumb idea. Shooters need to protect their hearing and vision at all costs and one unprotected discharge can permanently injure one's hearing. Give that one some serious tough.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links