The teachers in my building are giving me grief

This is a discussion on The teachers in my building are giving me grief within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bandit383 To answer the basic question...I think, based on sensitivities that exist in schools about guns and academics...you could of toned down ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The teachers in my building are giving me grief

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    To answer the basic question...I think, based on sensitivities that exist in schools about guns and academics...you could of toned down your presentation....to them you came off as Rambo...not what you intended.but perceptions can be reality.
    It doesn't get much more toned down than some range pictures. I literally cannot think of a more controlled or un-controversial setting to see a firearm. If shooting (competition or just recreational) is one of his hobbies, why should it get left out? Some people think skydiving is dangerous, but I don't think anyone would complain about a picture of it.

OP - I think you're doing good things. Tread lightly, though, or you might find yourself in deeper excrement than you thought. I kind of like the idea of leaving the picture out, but then using it as a lead-in to a freedom of speech discussion (provided it's relevent to the class, that is).

2. Remove Ads

lots of good comments...as of now the pics are still in the presentation. I have until Monday morning to decide if they are going to remain there.

Tim,

First of all, I say if you can push the buttons on some liberal leftists among your peers without jeopardizing your job... Go For It!

As far as your students are concerned... I think it can only be a positive assertion of what the 2nd amendment stands for and how firearms can have a positive purpose in society as long as you explain that criminal use of firearms should not be tolerated by a society of free people. It helps illustrate personal responsibility.

If it helps open a dialogue among the other teachers to hopefully bring to an end of this all guns are evil type crap, then I say it is useful. There has got to be other pro-gunners among the teaching staff, you're in Texas for cryin out loud!

But, I would stop at the point where it comes to jeopardizing your job.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I do suppose someday the Illustrations of battle in some textbooks, during our country's fight for Independence and Freedoms will be censored out..if not already....even some of the great American oil and watercolor paintings of that era will probley be censored as well for showing canon or musket...sigh

Lead Moderator
    Lets keep it on topic. I removed the Liberal bashing / speculation and comments that were way off topic. Not all liberals are gun haters, not all conservatives approve of guns. Thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Something else simple and true as many here will agree. It's far easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. As long as the rules do NOT specifically and exactly say a thing is off limits and banned.....then....it's okay. Otherwise be guided by common sense and morality.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Lets keep it on topic. I removed the Liberal bashing / speculation and comments that were way off topic. Not all liberals are gun haters, not all conservatives approve of guns. Thanks.
    Man... it is the end of the FIRST week of school and I'm WHUPPED. I don't even know or remember what I wrote last night but I'm certain it was a conglomeration of visceral reactions to being back at work amongst the sheep and the lambs for the first time all summer. SO I humbly apologize to one and all. Also as I wrote last night it was very late, I wanted to go to bed but I was watching the DVD 300 that I got only yesterday from the Colombia House DVD club. Which brings me to another thought....I need to start a new thread. Watch the off topic area.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    SO I humbly apologize to one and all. Also as I wrote last night it was very late, I wanted to go to bed but I was watching the DVD 300 that I got only yesterday from the Colombia House DVD club. Which brings me to another thought....I need to start a new thread. Watch the off topic area.
    Ditto...but mine was from too many glasses of wine (no, not whine).

And as you know...teachers can have a profound affect on the youth.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I agreee with the inclusion of the range pics and the pics of the weapons. Although I wouldn't overdo the pics on your weapons. You've certainly the constitutional right. It should promote discussion on the 2nd Amendment and the reasons it was enacted by our fouonding fathers. This way they hear more than just that propaganda from the media and the antis.
    Open thought and critical thinking/discussion is good in whatever arena.

Senior Moderator
    WOW

The differences in locality's and their view of firearms amaze me.

ExSoilder...you sound exactly like my wife. Nobody messes with her either.

My wife has been teaching Civics and History for 30 years.Last year 4 of her students did a project together and they all received a grade for it. It was a video presentation that they had to research and present to the class. I watched a lot of them and I must admit some of them were impressive.

I am mentioning this group of 4 because they chose to do a project on the merits of the AR/M-16 platform in comparison to the AK platform. The dad of one of them is a professional photographer and he did the pictures.

I was chose as the one they interviewed because I own several of each. We did a commentary of the advantages and disadvantages of each and then we stepped it up. We went to the range and shot several hundred rounds through each one...all of this being part of the video of course. We even had film shots of exploding grapefruit that the guys bought just for the occasion. To keep everything copacetic, we even had their Dads with them and had some informal competitions, 3 of the boys out shooting their Dads, the one Dad that one was a major in the Army. I harassed him a bit and told him that the reputation of the Army was squarely on his shoulders and that if he didn't win, it would just prove that most officers were desk jockeys and don't need to shoot guns...but he did well.

Everyone had a blast making the video and it was all done is a very safe and controlled manner. No one said a negative word about it and it was received by the kids very well. They voted it the best of the class and it was one of 3 selected to go to the regional competition in Little Rock, but for some reason it failed to advance. Big city politics I guess.I'm told that some of the teacher judges there frowned upon it somewhat, but I suppose that is to be expected from anyone that worships the Clintons.

The kids still call me up and we still go shooting. Since then, two of them have become very interested in Milsurps which I collect and they started collecting them. The other two just love to shoot and we make it a point to get together every now and then.

I thought it interesting that after learning about the advantages and disadvantages of shooting the AR/AK that two of them decided they like the AK the best and the other two the AR....an even 50/50 split.

I told this story to illustrate that although we all moan and groan about the sorry state of schools and even sheeple teachers, that its not ALL bad...there is some hope.

To be truthful, I would have thought that picking a subject like that to do would have brought some heartache and grief, but it didn't. Sometimes its not a bad thing to push it to the limit and educate people, and when you can get away with it, its a great thing,especially if some previously blind eyes have been opened.

So Tim...
    be a teacher and lead. Put the pictures up and show the kids that shooting can be a safe and normal thing. It may be the only exposure they get to it and YOU may be the one that sways them with out even knowing it.If the administators make you take them down...so be it. The day or two that it remains up will be enough to show the kids that even normal people can own and use guns.

Ex already said it...sometimes it better to ask forgiveness than permission. Push it to the limit.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    So if a kid can get suspended for drawing a picture in his note book,
    be careful and beware the liberal

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the presentation. What do you think about this situation?
    I think -- strongly -- that your fellow teachers are empty-headed liberal morons who have gone full-on with the idea that guns -- inanimate objects -- are somehow inherently evil, and that for some reason we should educate kids about everything from how to have sex safe from diseases to how to cross the street, but we should engage in a futile attempt to shield them from the fact that guns exist in this world, and some people use them peacefully and lawfully.

You might have a very hard battle ahead of you, but I implore you to not give up. You have committed NO CRIME. There is NOTHING WRONG with what you did. What's wrong is the idea that these idiots want you to have to be ashamed of your lawful personal activities. They are reprehensible. What if you were wiccan, or muslim, or some other easy-to-denigrate religion; would they tell you to keep that quiet even though it's true about you, too?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I agreee with the inclusion of the range pics and the pics of the weapons. Although I wouldn't overdo the pics on your weapons. You've certainly the constitutional right. It should promote discussion on the 2nd Amendment and the reasons it was enacted by our fouonding fathers. This way they hear more than just that propaganda from the media and the antis.
    Open thought and critical thinking/discussion is good in whatever arena.
    Moreover, it should stand as a great object lesson about his FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS -- his right to freedom of EXPRESSION!

Make sure to drive that point home, Tim. If need be, mention to the students about how some people are so driven to tell others what to think and what to do (or not do), that they feel the need to quash their right to publicly display and discuss their personal interests even when those interests are not criminal or wrong in any way.

You have the potential here to turn a whole class full of kids against the public school / leftist newthink and their policy of silencing anyone who speaks out differently. Imagine if you get the kids thinking, "What if 'they' decide they want to silence ME when I have something to say?!" Get them to see this leftist nonsense as the evil that it is, and get them to detest it.

I bet if you were gay and showed a pic of you kissing your male lover, that would be okay.

Now, I dont think being gay is wrong (in case any of you are), but a person who collects something that is 100% legal shouldn't be scrutinized either.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    be a teacher and lead. Put the pictures up and show the kids that shooting can be a safe and normal thing.
    Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links