The teachers in my building are giving me grief - Page 3

The teachers in my building are giving me grief

This is a discussion on The teachers in my building are giving me grief within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When they kick a little boy out of class for drawing a picture of a gun, what did you expect? It wasn't even a GOOD ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The teachers in my building are giving me grief

When they kick a little boy out of class for drawing a picture of a gun, what did you expect? It wasn't even a GOOD picture.
    The stupidity of these people is HUGE. When I was a kid in school....little girls drew horses and dresses and flowers.....little boys drew guns and cars and rockets.
    With this PC, no tolerance crowd they did what I would expect them to do....OVER REACT.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I would add one thing. If you can leave them in without losing your job....do it, but add some quotes from our founding fathers on Americans 2nd Admendment rights.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

DUDE!!!!!! They just suspended a kid for drawing a picture of something resembling a gun at school.You really can't be so clueless as to show your class pictures of you shooting. Kiss your job at that school goodbye,you are on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    And as you know...teachers can have a profound affect on the youth.
    There's the rub. The anti's know this and they may really try to cause you trouble if you leave the pictures in.

I remember a thread a while back (not sure which forum) that talked about the popular text book "We the People". Apparently, this text book talks about the 2nd Amendment and how in the past, people erroneously believed that it gave individuals the right to keep and bear arms.

They (the anti's) plan to systematically program all thoughts about gun rights out of the hearts and minds of our children.

You, my friend, are between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand, you stand up for gun owners in our stuggle to regain our rights and possibly lose your job.

On the other hand, you take the pictures out, which plays into their hands and keep your job.

The activist in me says to stand up to them and let come what may.

The realist in me says that it might be hard to convince your family that they should be proud that you have stood your ground if you are living behind a billboard somewhere looking for your next meal.

Only you can make your decision but keep in mind that you are not the only one in this battle. You don't have to take the world on your shoulders.

I would talk to the powers that be and lodge your complaint but do what you must to remain employed.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

As of tonight I still intend to show two pictures of just the guns, no range firing. I will preface the presentation by letting the kids know I have many hobbies including fishing, racing my car on the track and gun collecting. Anyone know how much pizza delivery drivers make in case I come home w/o a job

Senior Moderator
    You'll be alright, dont worry about it. To leave the guns out would be like telling a lie. Tell them the truth. If anyone gives you flack for telling the truth just ask then if they would rather have you lie. If they say yes, steer clear of them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lightbulb TIM.....As a veteran teacher of 18 years....

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You'll be alright, dont worry about it. To leave the guns out would be like telling a lie. Tell them the truth. If anyone gives you flack for telling the truth just ask then if they would rather have you lie. If they say yes, steer clear of them.
    Tim, if you're a new teacher you can be fired on a WHIM. Generally you have to last thru the three year probationary period (this is in FLORIDA but it's pretty common) before you're offered a continuing contract. So be a turtle not a TIGER and keep low and slow. When you've got your continuing contract you're home free. Until then, keep out of the gunsights of the brass.

HOTGUNS....let me tell you something I once got from an assistant principal during a royal butt chewing (one of many) when it was discovered at the middle school where I was then, that I was teaching the kids how to question authority and think for themselves instead of dashing like blind SHEEP after just anybody. He was yelling and this is the exact verbatim quote. I'll never forget it:

You BLEEPING BLEEP! You don't teach these kids HOW to think! You teach them WHAT TO THINK......WHAT I WANT THEM TO THINK!!!

Could have knocked me over with a feather. That was over 15 years ago. Imagine how the problem has grown.

It's kind of hard to steer clear of the BOSS, especially when you're a probationary teacher. I was hunted at that school for five years. I was on continuing contract so it was extremely hard to "get rid" of me. See, the same rules that protect bad teachers that everybody wants to dump, also protect good teachers that bad administrators want to dump.

Instead I got surprise "Observations" where my lesson plans were checked with a microscope. I got all kinds of nitty gritty BS that other teachers were not subjected to. They were never able to nail me because having the experience as a STAFF puke in a Division level staff job while an army officer made me far more expert at dealing with bureaucracy than any of them. However I got tired of the hassle. Finally I hollered to the union.

I'm a member of the union and I made them take the administration to task, even though the uber liberals at the union made it clear they didn't care for my politics either. But they were reminded that almost 25% of the union membership is Republican...and so they buckled down and started to fight. It worked. Then as the Republicans got their own caucus and a gathering of the membership we began to be able to shape union policy. We formed a Political Action Committee and I joined that union PAC as one of six Board members.

It was discovered that: Gee, when the state is dominated in the legislature by conservative republicans any pleas made by liberal union democrats for teachers usually fall on deaf ears. But when the pleas are made by OTHER conservative Republican teachers....things got moving. Well DUH! So we gathered even more clout. The liberal dems in the union just sold out the teachers in yet another contract negotiation and so there is a real possibility that the Republicans may be able to totally oust the entrenched lefties next time out because even their base is fed up with them.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    You BLEEPING BLEEP! You don't teach these kids HOW to think! You teach them WHAT TO THINK......WHAT I WANT THEM TO THINK!!!
    Therin lies the rub.

On the other hand, you wont kow what the boundaries are until you walk right up to them and gve them a looksee.
    Might as well get it done quick and know where they are rather than wonder about them for the rest of ones career.

Heck...he's in TEXAS.
    Surely it aint that bad.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Stand Up For What You Believe In.......

No Exceptions. Tell the kids what you are into, and why. Tell them that nothing is wrong with what you are doing, because you are a law-abiding citizen and as a law-abiding citizen, you have these rights. When the administrators come after you, give me a call. Give all the gun owners you know a call. We will show up there and give those liberal cheek spreaders a piece of our minds. Get active in the politics of the school board, expose the members of the liberal establishment and call them out publicly. This last weekend I did just that with one of my wifes' liberal friends. She and her husband started a political discussion about how Hillary, Barack and the Democrats were going to save the world from "Bushism". Needless to say, I humiliated them both to the point where they got up and left. I got to them with pure, simple facts. Firm stances on issues. Morals and spiritual belief. Because when you get down to it, the liberal machine is basically devoid of moral and spiritual compasses.

So be strong and stand up to these people! If you need help, call us we will support you.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Therin lies the rub.

On the other hand, you wont kow what the boundaries are until you walk right up to them and gve them a looksee.
    Might as well get it done quick and know where they are rather than wonder about them for the rest of ones career.

Heck...he's in TEXAS.
    Surely it aint that bad.
    Actually...it's worse in Texas. A LOT worse. One reason we decided to not move there. He can probe the boundaries and stay in a covered position. Each school will have different strengths and weaknesses. When there is a change in leadership, that too can prove good or bad. Every Principal has a set of A$$ kissing snitches who act as informants on teachers who don't toe the line. Especially in the middle schools. Find out who they are. Everybody knows. It's sad that you've got to be like an "Operator" to survive as a pro FREEDOM Educator but those are the facts. Stay low, stay loose. Wait until you've got tenure then you can tear 'em a NEW one.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Tim the Teacher: You've got private mail.

Try this on them-
    1. FREE MEN DON'T ASK PERMISSION TO BEAR ARMS.
    2. IT AIN'T NOBODY'S BUSINESS BUT MY OWN.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    So a public school system, part of the government, is going to restrict your First Amendment rights when instructing students about you exercising your Second Amendment rights?

Welcome to the new USSR, comrade.

If they make you take it out of the presentation, or if it would result in your termination, just say it out loud to the class that they made you remove a slide about you legally collecting and shooting guns. Then teach them about the Bill of Rights.

Well, I still have my job so far with 2 classes left in the day. 4 students have been to the counselor telling him I am showing gun pictures in the classroom and he just sends them back to class with a "That's Nice." One of my students has a dad who is a conservative radio talk show host here in Dallas so I am safe in that household. I assume when parents ask their kids what they did today my little slide show will come up but I am prepared for it.

Last year I took my 15 year old Daughter to an event where she got to shoot some sub guns. Next day, she came home from school quite upset... her friends wouldn't believe that she got to shoot 'machine guns' (with <shudder> silencers!).

I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly, but I printed several frames from the video I had of her shooting, and sent them with her to school. By 10am, the school was calling me at work. Evidently, they felt 'threatened' by a 85lb, 15 year old girl with a _photo_ of a tommy gun! I told them that if they had a problem with the photos, throw them away, but if they punished my daughter in any way, they better be prepared to explain why in court.

I would have never suspected that a simple photograph would give the school administrators a panic attack like that!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links