The teachers in my building are giving me grief

This is a discussion on The teachers in my building are giving me grief within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the beginning of every year I build a powerpoint to show the kids (8th grade Science) a little bit about the life of their ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The teachers in my building are giving me grief

The teachers in my building are giving me grief

At the beginning of every year I build a powerpoint to show the kids (8th grade Science) a little bit about the life of their teacher. This year I included pictures of my family, vacations and my hobbies which includes me at the range and pics of my weapons. When I showed this to my team they came unglued. They said I shouldn't be showing pictures of guns at school and especially letting the students know that I own some. The purpose of the powerpoint is to personalize myself and to let them know a bit about who I am. I teach at a predominantly middle class school in a growing city with very little crime. I don't think there is anything wrong with the presentation. What do you think about this situation?

2. Remove Ads

you are who you are so who cares what the other teachers think
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    At the beginning of every year I build a powerpoint to show the kids (8th grade Science) a little bit about the life of their teacher. This year I included pictures of my family, vacations and my hobbies which includes me at the range and pics of my weapons. When I showed this to my team they came unglued. They said I shouldn't be showing pictures of guns at school and especially letting the students know that I own some. The purpose of the powerpoint is to personalize myself and to let them know a bit about who I am. I teach at a predominantly white middle class school in a growing city with very little crime. I don't think there is anything wrong with the presentation. What do you think about this situation?
    It doesn't surprise me. I wish it did.
    When I was in high school, it wouldn't have been an issue. Of course then, several pick-ups in the student parking lot had gun racks in them (most were not empty). My JROTC class had marksmanship practice on a regular basis, too.

Now, they suspend eighth graders for drawing a picture of a gun in their notebook. The ones I drew would get someone expelled.

If I still had school aged children, I'd home school them. Liberals have taken over public schools, and parents who are not pro-active are resulting in poorly educated adults who spout the "party line". You have my condolences for being one of the minority who are not warped, stuck in a broken system.

I think it's insane to try to pretend that noone owns guns, or that only bad people do. Unfortunately in some places it might be enough to get you canned if you don't play along. If it is only coworker opinions then I'd do my own thing in a heartbeat, but if it could mean my job I'd have to have to bow down to utter ignorance that runs society.
    Last edited by Cupcake; August 24th, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    Sad Tim - very sad.

But for me too hardly a surpise, in this PC, zero tolerance, near impotent society surrounding us. I wish it were such that you could show this material - show folks what you enjoy and educate them broadly - even perhaps dispelling some gun myths.

However - I expect you will be out numbered on this. I can these days too imagine, if you showed a pic holding a prize salmon you'd caught - the huggers would be on to PETA to complain ... even worse if you stood beside your last deer kill - that would be guns and hunting ... intolerable!

Sorry state these days ....... I wish you luck in your quest for openess and honesty about your persona but - you are up against ''them''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Somehow I had envisioned Texas as largely free of most of the PC crap many of us deal with. Guess it really is a creeping disease.

Frisco? Nah...not in Frisco <sarcasm off>

Sorry, Tim. I've found that type of "PC" crap is growing alarmingly fast in Texas, especially in new fast growing areas like Frisco. I think a bunch of the DFW "Escapees" that move out to the likes of Frisco, Southlake, McKinney, _____ (you fill the blanks) are actually pretty neurotic and yearn for the "carefree" lifestyle they thought they were buying into. The "utopia" "they grew up with".....

They thought they were going to utopia without crime, drugs, accidents, bad folks, and the like. You just disturbed their visualization of what they thought they had accomplished, never considering there might be an alternative vision, or a more fact based reality.

You woke them up a little. Who doesn't get PO'd when awoken from a nap?

Great opportunity to discuss the Constitution. Start with freedom of speech, RKBA, innocent until proven guilty...

Put the teachers who complain on the spot to prove how this is offensive, and how their attempt to stifle your opinion is justifiable. How is their voice, even if you're outnumbered, any more valid than your own. Isn't that what the 1st Amendment is about?

Make sure you're discussing responsible gun ownership. Most importantly, know that the students are old enough to think for themselves, with your reasonable guidance.

You must be new to teaching Tim... I do not teach but have multiple liberal family members who do as well as one libertarian friend. He has learned that to get tenure in the public school system you need to keep your mouth shut about any issue the UFT is not in support of. Guns is one of them.

Hope you already got tenure (although I am against the very principal of it) before you let your coworkers know where you stand.

Are you surprised? If they ARREST and try to convict 13 yr olds for sexual battery for slapping girls on the bottom....Why wouldn't they crucify you for showing pictures of guns? "They" being schools across the country.

Tim...

I am presently teaching in a local high school.

In another life before retirement I was in administration...I see both sides!

Now, I too put up with the general 'liberal, anti-gun, anti-Bush' crowd...daily! Actually, I don't think I would have pushed the gun pic's in my classroom. Not because I couldn't, but because it isn't worth the hassle, either from parents or admin. Heck, some schools give students a problem because they DRAW pictures of guns, or wish to have their yearbook picture reflect an award they won in a skeet shoot...nope...can't do that!

Some times you have to lose a battle to win the war. I would pick and choose my battles...there are other opportunities to educate others about our reasons for having firearms.

Now I have had conversations about weapons, hunting, self-defense, etc., in my classroom, but it's after I get to know the kids. I kind of feel my way around the staff and admin when it comes to those sensitive topics...I tread slowly. Some staff now know my feelings about self-defense and weapons.

It is perhaps, an advantage that I work in a small rural town. Many kids, parents, and some staff/admin have and use firearms...there are some very liberal individuals who still believe in the right to own firearms, and you wouldn't want to attempt a 'break-in' at many of our family homes...you wouldn't leave alive!

Still, I'm really careful about how I approach the subject!

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Forget the teachers. What about your immediate supervisor?

I think you should have a talk with your supervisor and find out his take on your sharing who you are with your students. Not just the guns aspect, but the concept of having your students getting to know you.

You are in a position where you can educate young people concerning our history and the Constitution and the importance of firearms. This is not political at all unlike the communist/liberal nonsense that is constantly drummed in during the liberal indoctrination process. It is simply an objective description of our proud heritage.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Who cares? Show them.

Welcome to MY world....for the last 18 years. Mostly my colleagues leave me alone on the issue....especially since I now teach high school and have for the last 12 years. Every now and again when one of my pro 2nd Amendment letters gets printed in the Miami Herald (I average four or five pubs a year) and the next school day there will be hushed whispers around the sign-in board quickly silenced with this: "Here he comes. Don't SAY anything, you'll only encourage him!" They all know I'm a former LEO and a former army officer. They also know I'm a life member of the NRA and an NRA firearms instructor. Sometimes I even wear my NRA Instructor's shirt to school. Nobody has ever said a word in any of the four or five schools I've worked. I've also been a social studies Teacher of the Year. I'm good and they know it. So I get left alone. I push the envelope...hard.

But I know my subject and my thrust is "critical thinking:" Teaching students the difference between ISSUES AND AGENDAS. How to recognize a valid issue versus the times when a person tries to run an AGENDA with the purpose of manipulation. I HAMMER them to always find out all sides of a subject (thereby creating an ISSUE) instead of just listening to one side of a subject (thereby creating an AGENDA) I make them challenge me and research my assertions. In doing all of this I weave a very tight curriculum in whatever subject I teach. This year it's AMERICAN HISTORY and American Government and Sociology. All great subjects. It's going to be another great year.

I really have one serious character flaw: I love to find the buttons on a liberal and push them. I was sitting in the teacher's lunchroom at the middle school where I taught (middle school teachers are REALLY the warm and fuzzy drooling liberals we all love to ridicule) when suddenly one of them piped up across the room. He yells at me so that every teacher in the areas stops to watch. "Hey! Is it true that you're a member of one of those whacko MILITIAS?"

I look at him and grin a truly evil smile as I reply: "Naaaaaw. Between active and reserve time I spent 14 years in the army infantry as an officer. I don't need that stuff. But I'll tell you this....it's not because I disagree with what they believe....it's because I don't think they can teach me anything ....new." I never saw a room empty so fast. I chortled all the way home. You see: I live for the battle. I always have. It's an observation my late mom used to make all the time. But I know my limits. I know the lines I can't cross and I live to fight another day.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I am also a middle school teacher (in PA). I teach in a rural district where a fair number of my students are hunters, etc. I have in the past talked about hunting and guns with some students, but never to an entire class. I think before showing the students your PP I would:
    1. Check with your principal to see if they have a problem with this.
    2. Check with your union rep to see how much they will back you if there are any problems.
    Things being what they are, it just is common sense to cover yourself as much as possible.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links