Unloading a semi auto

This is a discussion on Unloading a semi auto within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought my first semi auto. It is an XD9SC. I know virtually nothing about semi autos except what I have read here and ...

Thread: Unloading a semi auto

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Unloading a semi auto

I just bought my first semi auto. It is an XD9SC. I know virtually nothing about semi autos except what I have read here and the minimal instruction manual SA provided. The experiences I have had were at the range where the only unloading was into paper targets.

My question is whether an ND is possible if, when attempting to clear the chamber, the slide slips from your hand before ejecting the cartridge.

Thanks for ending my ignorance.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My question is whether an ND is possible if, when attempting to clear the chamber, the slide slips from your hand before ejecting the cartridge.
    Unless you had a faulty gun - no - as long as - your finger is off trigger, rule #3. Drop mag' first of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Agreed with Chris. Keep the finger off the trigger. Drop the mag first, rack the slide. Unless your gun is faulty it will not fire by improperly racking the slide.

Yea, beat that finger off the trigger thing into your head. Also don't forget rule # 1 (or 2, can never remember): always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Don't actually know why the rules are numbered. Just don't violate any of them. EVER!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    Cooper's rules - my version ...........

1) - A gun is always loaded.

2) - Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy.

3) - Keep finger off trigger unless you wish to shoot.

4) - Know your target - and what is beyond.

I'll say this as I often do - IF someone only remembers one - it is for me rule #2 that avoids death, injury and property damage. Best however to always apply all four.!!
    Chris - P95

There is really only ONE real rule. Always, ALWAYS keep the thing pointed in a safe direction.

I don't care who or what you are, how long you've owned or carried one, or how much training you've had......the truth is that sooner or later you WILL have the damn thing go off when you diden't intend it.

I did well over thirty years in LE, I have had it happen to me, seen it happen to others........Just remember the only rule that really counts WHERE's IT POINTED!

There are two types of shooters, those that have had a ND, and those that will. Always have it pointed in a safe direction.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Thanks for the replies. It is what I thought. No trigger, no discharge. I am going to the range later and practice unloading. If it discharges at the range and I hit the target it is not really an ND, is it.

By the way, that trigger safety seems totally useless. There is virtually no way to have the trigger pulled back without disengaging the trigger safety.

It's a 'finger' thing...no finger, no bang!
    (keep the nose drill off of the bang switch...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It is what I thought. No trigger, no discharge.
    As a warning, re-read the answers again, carefully...... Your "No trigger, no discharge" is true ONLY if there is nothing wrong with the weapon.

Don't bet your life, or someone else's on the weapon NOT being defective. Always go with rule #1 point the thing is a safe direction!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    As a warning, re-read the answers again, carefully...... Your "No trigger, no discharge" is true ONLY if there is nothing wrong with the weapon.

Don't bet your life, or someone else's on the weapon NOT being defective. Always go with rule #1 point the thing is a safe direction!
    I thought that was rule 2!

OK, exactly what type of malfunction can create a discharge when racking the slide and not pulling the trigger? How can one check for this type of malfunction? How can it be fixed? How can it be prevented?

Assistant Administrator
    OK, exactly what type of malfunction can create a discharge when racking the slide and not pulling the trigger? How can one check for this type of malfunction? How can it be fixed? How can it be prevented?
    Whether striker fired or hammer - a ''jammed'' FP would of course be THE 'nasty'!! Visual inspection of breech face should show a FP below surface level. I guess if I really want to do a test I'd re prime an empty sized case and set that into the extractor ready to chamber, then let slide slam home. If it's already chambered that can stress some extractors.

Causes could vary and so remedy too - but it should be possible to establish if FP is free to move both ways, whether spring assisted or not.

Easy test for FP normal function is, empty gun - cock it with hammer or rack slide - point it up with a pencil down barrel (one with eraser end is best IMO). Pull trigger and pencil should be made to jump or even be ejected.
    Chris - P95

Snap caps

Buy some snap caps, amd practice with those. It's how I taught my wife to load and unload.

And no trigger=no bang. Unless you have a faulty gun, but then if that was the case, it probably would have gone off when the round was chambered in the first place. thats why we have the safe direction rule.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think we had someone here with a ND from a jammed firing pin about a month ago... Shadowsbane?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=29086

pulled the slide all the way back, let go, and Bang!

Links