9mm Jammed in a G27

This is a discussion on 9mm Jammed in a G27 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes, how did I make the mistake of handing 9mm shells to a friend instead of .40's to load in my Glock 27 ? He ...

Thread: 9mm Jammed in a G27

9mm Jammed in a G27

Yes, how did I make the mistake of handing 9mm shells to a friend instead of .40's to load in my Glock 27 ? He loaded it with them and one round fired. What do I do now? The 9mm shell caseing is stuck inside and the slide will not move. What now?

2. Remove Ads

Ouch! Sorry to hear bout this mishap. Take it to a good gunsmith would be my first suggestion. Let us know how this turns out.

SY

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    wow, good thing it only got stuck and nothing worse.

Yep, The slide will not move.

Sorry to hear that...good luck removing the shell.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Hmm... I've never tried a 9mm in a .40 gun to see how tight the fit is. If a 9mm were dropped into the chamber of a .40, would it rattle a bit or be sort of snug?

Depending on the answer to that question, I have to wonder if perhaps the casing ruptured and is part of what is causing the slide to be stuck.

Either way, sorry that happened to you. I would be pretty worried about the integrity of the gun after that...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hmmm.. your the first one I heard about the 9mm actually firing in a 40. Usually the case has been that the 9mm will fall into the barrell, and the unfortunate person will think that it was a feed failure and then rack a 40 right behind it. The result is usually a big boom of the dangerous kind.

I would think you probably have a case rupture in the chamber. If it were me.... and I do mean if it were me.... this is not profesional advice.. I would put the weapon slide down in a vice (protected by a towell) with the handle sticking straight up. Make sure you have the weapon facing a safe backstop with no one in front. Grab hold of the handle and pull hard and I should be able to free the slide up.

Now mind you I intentionally put I and not you in this. This is purely if it were me, because I do have the facilities to do this safely. If you have any doubt, take it to a profesional smith.

Edit: Oh yea, I would also make sure to remove the magazine, so there was no other live ammunition in the weapon.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    Be advised of another potential scenario, and that is a .32 auto loaded in a 380 auto. I saw it happen once, it didn't get fired, but it fed all the way to the barrel w/o any problems.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I think after the mag was removed and it was certain no live rnds were present; I'd have someone hold the gun over the edge of a 2x4 with the slide such that it could come back and push or gently tap the slide back from the muzzle with a brass rod. Do not use a steel one or a wood dowel as the wood could break and jam up the barrel.
    I would cushion the gun from the wood with some leather, old glove, or etc.
    For grins, I tried loading 9mm in a .40 mag and the mag did not care, so I can see
    how this happened, good luck with it; though you'll be able to clear it yourself.
    Last edited by nn; August 26th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

So long as you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the chambered round has fired, a brass or aluminum "range rod" is a quick solution. (A segement of aluminum shotgun cleaning rod works well, btw) DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A LIVE ROUND CHAMBERED!!!

Insert a piece or brass or aluminum rod into the bore until it bottoms out - leaving a couple of inches pretruding the muzzle. Back the grip frame up to something solid (like a work bench) with a little padding between it and the bench. (Make sure that the slide is free to travel to the rear) Then tap the rod until the stuck case comes loose and the slide can be retracted to the rear. All done!

If you are right hand strong:
    Hold the slide with left hand over the top very firm,
    with your right hand thumb out fingers together just like you are going grasp the gun, strike the grip (High) with the web of your right hand. You may need to do it a couple times. That should break the slide open......
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

BAC
    Gary's got it right.

I screwed up and loaded some 9mm in the .40 XD rented from the range. Still shot, just one at a time. Cannot describe how embarrassed I was, but I've learned my lesson since.

I'm honestly having trouble imagining what you're describing though; the brass must have expanded incredibly for the slide to have jammed and the case be stuck in there, and I can't picture that happening easily. What kind of 9mm did you use?

-B

Blow up

Once it cools, use a brass rod to tap it open like Gary sez. (welcome back). Happens at work from time to time and I've never seen one damage the gun. If it was my gun, I'd do a detail strip JIC to make sure there was no extra brass in the mechanism.

Thanks, I did get it opened with hand force. The 9mm case was enlarged but did not damage the gun. Thanks for the great advice..As always, you guys are the greatest...
    Bill

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out

Links