Coonan 357 mag auto pistol

This is a discussion on Coonan 357 mag auto pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A blast from the past, the Coonan 357 auotloader was produced by Dan Coonan until their bankruptcy in 93. All stainless steel and built like ...

Thread: Coonan 357 mag auto pistol

Sponsor

A blast from the past, the Coonan 357 auotloader was produced by Dan Coonan until their bankruptcy in 93. All stainless steel and built like a tank, they were not known as "junk" but well made guns.

Coonan still services the pistols and makes FAL receivers according to their website here: http://www.dancoonan.com/coonan_357.html under the business name DCI, Inc.

An fellow officer I knew a few towns over from where I worked had one and would bring it to the range quite often back in the early 90's. It was a blast to shoot with lots of horsepower on tap [ two different mags would hold either 7 and 8 rounders depending on when they were made ].

I picked up the B model last month at the shop for half of what it is worth on the open market. I've secured 4 mags at 150.00 each today from a guy in Texas, and the correct front sight and replacement recoil springs are ordered this morning as well right from Coonan himself in Minnesota.

Anyone ever see or get to shoot one of these pieces?

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I remember them from the late '80's...we ordered one for a customer. Got to play with it a little bit, though I never got the chance to shoot it. If I remember correctly, you could only load 3 or 4 rounds in the mag before the spring got too stiff. They supplied a "pin" that you could insert into the mag to push the follower down with to load it to full capacity. If I remember right, they were built like a tank...high quality.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Yes, you younger shooters it IS a 1911 pattern semi-automatic pistol chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge.
    Yes, it feeds, fires and ejects rimmed .357 Magnum cartridges.
    Yes, it would have been great if I bought one back in the days that I could have purchased one.
    Yes, the magazines (these days) are worth nearly their weight in Gold.

So...You own that?
    You doggone lucky dog you.
    And you found 4 magazines?
    You will never lose money on those mags even at $150. a pop.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    QKShooter,

I own a B model like the one in the pics. Mine needed an original frnt sight and grips as they had been replaced with aftermarket items. Thats why it is with the original armorer for Coonan in Minn right now being completely gone through, made all original again as well as springs replaced throughout the gun.

When I get it back it will be in the same condition it left the factory as so many years ago, but yes, mine looks like the one in the pics except for the grips and front sight for now.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; August 26th, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

Very Cool i have seen one but never shot one as you know mags are exp and hard to come by cant wait for more pics

I had a buddy that was into "automag" pistols back in the '80s. He has since passed away, but he used to own a Wildey, a Desert eagle .44 mag, and one of the rare "Automags" that Clint Eastwood portrayed in the movie "Sudden Impact". He used to live out in Commiefornia and picked up the Automag before he left. He had obtained one of the original Coonan pistols around the same time. He used to carry the weapon daily until his untimely death at the hands of an intoxicated driver. He was one of my instructors in college and a bunch of us in class (American History) used to head out to my Grandfathers' ranch in Mountain Home, TX. (Where I met Clint Smith and his lovely wife by the way when they were scouting territory for thunder ranch) where we spent endless hours shooting all manner of weapons. As I remember it, the Coonan was in fact built like a tank, but shot straight and true; the recoil was like a light .45 load when shooting the standard 125 grain JHP police loads that were common for the day (1986). I was quite surprised that a rimmed cartridge would feed so reliably in an autopistol application, but the weapon never coughed. Of course, it was probably one of the first attempts to get magnum firepower in a carryable autopistol since everyone was becoming fanatical about the 9mm "wonderguns" of the late '80s having watched the first "lethal weapon". the one gun of the period I found interesting was a pistol Colt had made called the "All-American 2000" or something like that. What interested me was the 9x23 winchester cartridge, which duplicated .357 magnum ballistics in a rimless .38 super envelope. I loved the round, and have an STI chambered for it, but the Colt pistol was terrible and never caught on.

I sure wish I had one of those Coonans........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Sponsor
    Appreciate the comments on the Coonan folks.

I never expected to see one come through the shop, and scooped it as soon as it had cleared the hot sheet check.

It's a keeper, something likely passed to one of the nephews down the road. I'm happy to have run into one, and even happier I found the original armorer for Coonan still had parts and worked on them in Minn.

Luckily I found mags for it as well. Though somewhat scarce, they can be had if you are wiling to pay the prices they command. I think they'll only get more expensive in time along with the gun myself. They have a following of some kind in certain circles, the guy working on mine says he has three in the shop at the moment for refurb/repairs.

I want this one brought back to original, then stored in the safe, pristine.

Brownie

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    AZ, will you adopt me as a nephew?

Thats a nice find. I have to keep from drooling on the keyboard.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Probably a stupid question...but what makes those mags so expensive?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    supply and demand

There were never any aftermarket mags made by anyone, Coonan was the only game in town then for parts, including mags. Even e-gunparts does not even list the Coonan in their extensive arsenal of parts for some very obscure guns.

If you want em, you've got to find them first, then be willing to pay whatever that person is asking for them. If you don't like the price now, wait a few years, they get scarcer still. Thats where people are at right now after years of no more mags/guns being made.

That I could find them was a chore in effort, that I could find more than one that was new, let alone 4 of them was outstanding. Myself or the nephew will get every penny out of those and them some one day.

The mags were 200.00 for one, if you wanted more than one, 150.00 each. Seeing as the gun is a paperweight without mags to feed it, any reliable working mag is worth the price. I didn't pay what I did for the gun for it to be a paperweight.

Ya gotta pay the price or decide you are not going to be able to feed it ammo.

Brownie

Administrator

Thumbs up

The gun is a sound investment especially with the spare magazines to go along with the handgun.
    The extra magazines make the firearm multi-fold more valuable than the gun by itself or with only one factory magazine.
    For obvious reasons.
    A really nice find the pistol and the additional mags. That's makes for a rare gem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links