I'll be crossing off another gun on my "to buy" list in a couple months

This is a discussion on I'll be crossing off another gun on my "to buy" list in a couple months within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a couple months, I'll be acquiring a little over a grand from the state (Better known as the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend), and I'd ...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

In a couple months, I'll be acquiring a little over a grand from the state (Better known as the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend), and I'd like to cross off another gun on my "to buy" list. I just can't decide which one I want to buy...

Beretta 92FS
    Glock 26
    SIG P220
    Springfield 1911A1 Loaded (Black Stainless)
    Yugoslavian AK47 underfolder
    Ruger GP100 4" 357 Magnum
    Rock River Arms M4
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge
    XD45
    XD9
    A bolt action rifle (308 or 30-06)

Now if I buy another handgun (which has been the case everytime I went gun shopping), I'd like to use it for the range and yet another carry gun if I'm so inclined to carrying something besides my G19.

I have bought and sold both the XD45 and XD9 only to later regret it, so I have them back on my "to buy" list. I'd really like to buy another rifle, since I've been buying mostly handguns, but a shotgun that can be used for hunting would make a nice addition, since all I have is my Remington 870 Express Magnum with the 18" barrel.

If I was to buy a bolt action rifle, it would be used for long range target shooting, and if later on, I want to try big game hunting, I could use it for that purpose as well.

I am also currently using my Dad's gun safe to store my 1 rifle I do have, which is my Romanian GP WASR10 AK47, but there's not much room left for another long gun. I've also considered, rather than buying another gun, to buy a gun safe of my own, to store my shotgun and my AK47, but I really have no place out of view to put it, and all I have is a small Sentry security safe which has room left for maybe 1 more handgun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

That .30 caliber bolt rifle sounds like the most fun to me. I like to shoot rifles best of all.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd like to use it for the range and yet another carry gun if I'm so inclined to carrying something besides my G19
    Rifle does sound most attractive but, based on the quote I'd suggest SIG 220 - but then I am a "Sigophile"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If I were you I would get a Springfield TRP.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I would have to say Sig 220. I'm a little biased. Sigs are my favorite and the 220 is the top of my list. But the bolt gun and the shotgun seem like they would have the most use for you.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

If you don't have an EBR yet, go for the Rock River M4. You really need to have one of those on hand.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I'll mix it up and say the loaded black stainless 1911. I have a similar gun and it's my favorite. Mine's a kimber though.

With a grand coming your way, you could mark off (2) on your list. The first (2):
    Beretta 92FS
    Glock 26

Like a revolver, everyone needs to have at least (1) 9X series Beretta in their collection.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

For a $1000, get both of the XD's back. That should make you plenty happy.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Here a while back, IIRC, you were saying that you needed a more concealable pistol due to your workplace situation. The 26 is definitely more concealable than the 19 (slide length, eh, either one - the big difference is the grip length), and to me, it shoots just as good - I've got both. You are already familiar with the Glock - no having to keep the differences seperate in your mind owing to which one you're carrying that day. I think your carry needs should come before the sake of variety. JMHO

You've already got a 'zombie rifle' in that AK. You've got an 870 that, at a later date, you can buy another barrel for.

I'd say see if you can find a 'gently used' G26/bolt gun pair. The 26 for previously stated reasons, and the bolt gun because, man, you live in Alaska, go big game hunting for those of us who can't.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The G26 would certainly make a nice CCW piece, especially for when I'm working, and it won't take most of my dividend check to get it. I used to own a Kel-Tec P3AT for deep concealment, but it was just too small for me, and I can conceal my G19 very well under my work uniform.

Right now I have no real good place to store another long gun, so that may have to wait. Well I think I have it down to yet another pistol...

I think I'm going to go with the Glock 26 this time around. Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

That's like asking about which kind of shoes to buy...very individual decision...but I'd go with the Glock-26...it's my next purchase!

By the way, I lived in AK for 7 years...gotta' love those Permanent Dividend Fund checks, it certainly beats state income taxes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go ahead and get the XD and then send me the $500 that's left over
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

My first inclination was the Springfield 1911, anything Loaded and above from SA is a sweet piece.

But I have to agree with a couple of the others, For 1K you can cross of two, I would go with the XD45 and the GP100. When you can, get a trigger job done on the GP100. They are nice guns to start with but a good trigger job makes them really nice.

Of course good guns don't get taken off my list. If having 1 of a particular model is nice, having two must be excellent.

The only guns that come off my list are the ones that I get rid of because I am not happy with them. Which in my particular case, I haven't run across oen of those yet. COuld be my selective choices could be that I just like guns.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links