UM Researcher supports Carry on Campus

This is a discussion on UM Researcher supports Carry on Campus within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294954,00.html Like the man said, it doesn't take 100% carry to improve public safety....

Thread: UM Researcher supports Carry on Campus

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294954,00.html

Like the man said, it doesn't take 100% carry to improve public safety.

...Prior to Virginia Tech, the two previous most deadly shootings in the U.S. were the 1991 Luby's Cafeteria massacre in Texas, which left 23 people dead, and the shooting at a California McDonald's in 1984, in which 21 people were killed...

All these attacks shared something in common: citizens were already banned from having guns in those areas. Indeed, every multiple-victim public shooting of any significant size in the United States has occurred in one of these gun-free zones...

The problem with gun-control laws is not that there isn't enough regulation, rather that it is primarily the law-abiding, not the criminals, who obey these laws....

Up until the early 1970s, Israel had to deal with the cold reality of terrorists who would take machine guns into shopping malls, schools, and Synagogues and open fire. That type of attack doesn’t occur any more. Why? Israelis realized that armed citizens could stop such an attacker before he did much damage.

About 15 percent of Israelis are now licensed to carry weapons, and determined terrorists have to resort to less effective, secretive routes of attack such as bombing...

Yep, all true...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...Prior to Virginia Tech, the two previous most deadly shootings in the U.S. were the 1991 Luby's Cafeteria massacre in Texas, which left 23 people dead, and the shooting at a California McDonald's in 1984, in which 21 people were killed...

All these attacks shared something in common: citizens were already banned from having guns in those areas. Indeed, every multiple-victim public shooting of any significant size in the United States has occurred in one of these gun-free zones...

The problem with gun-control laws is not that there isn't enough regulation, rather that it is primarily the law-abiding, not the criminals, who obey these laws....

Up until the early 1970s, Israel had to deal with the cold reality of terrorists who would take machine guns into shopping malls, schools, and Synagogues and open fire. That type of attack doesn’t occur any more. Why? Israelis realized that armed citizens could stop such an attacker before he did much damage.

About 15 percent of Israelis are now licensed to carry weapons, and determined terrorists have to resort to less effective, secretive routes of attack such as bombing...

Yep, all true...
    John Lott is the author of Freedomnomics and a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland. Two of his sons are attending public universities in Virginia. Maxim Lott is a college student in Virginia at the College of William & Mary.

When the VT murders happened, one rational, law-abiding, legally-armed individual could have STOPPED that madman's killing spree. Common sense doesn't require a confirming study. The Israelis know it. Most folks on this site know it. Why is it soooo difficult for the kool-aid drinkers to understand?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Why is it soooo difficult for the kool-aid drinkers to understand?
    It isn't.

Simply put, you cannot present firearms in the hands of anyone other than the government as a legitimate means of self protection when your base position is the elimination of firearms from civilian hands.

University level educators want to teach students what to think, not how to think.

If you start encouraging self reliance, independent thought and action, how will that contrast with the "normal course" of education?

Then I'm pleased & proud that I went to college a LONG time ago. When I finished with my Masters, I decided the most important thing that I had learned was the ability to carefully research & then make-up my own mind about any/everything. I don't guess any free-thinking is even allowed anymore. God help us all.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

me
    I am happy that when I step on campus tomorrow for orientation (starting my Masters) I will be legally armed. But I am still disheartened that when I take my trip in a few weeks down to my alma mater I can not carry my firearm on campus because the state says so.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    It isn't.

Simply put, you cannot present firearms in the hands of anyone other than the government as a legitimate means of self protection when your base position is the elimination of firearms from civilian hands.

University level educators want to teach students what to think, not how to think.

If you start encouraging self reliance, independent thought and action, how will that contrast with the "normal course" of education?
    Absolutely correct! They know exactly what they are doing.

They can live with a certain number of deaths at the hands of the Chos of the world.

What they cannot accept is the idea of any of their "subjects" actually taking responsibility for anything and an armed citizen definitely takes responsibility.

Like the quote says, "an armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject".
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Individual power vs. government power

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    This is exactly right. Individualism and self reliance are anathema to the liberal, who wants all power to be centralized in the hands of government. The possession of a concealed handgun represents a small amount of individual power in the immediate vicinity of the person carrying the gun. Liberals see this as a threat to government power, and try to stamp it out.

Even though individually concealed handguns represent the best defense against the serial killer with a gun who kills his way through a crowd of unarmed people, the liberals are willing to sacrifice those victims for their greater goal of controlling all power in government. So they will never agree with concealed carry in a school, or anywhere else they can ban guns.

Sponsored Links