Mosin-Nagant revolver?

This is a discussion on Mosin-Nagant revolver? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all you C&R guys, I got a itch for a new toy, and the Mosin Nagant revolver seems to be a steal at 70 ...

Thread: Mosin-Nagant revolver?

Mosin-Nagant revolver?

Hey all you C&R guys, I got a itch for a new toy, and the Mosin Nagant revolver seems to be a steal at 70 bucks. Do any of you have some feedback on this little gun? I've already bought the CZ52 and CZ82, and I'm a softie when it comes to inexpensive guns, so...should I call an order in today? Is there a vast difference in the quality of the specimins out there? Some vendors list various grades, others have but one. SOG has them listed for 69.95, that's inviting!

What say you?
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

2. Remove Ads

I own a Nagant (referbished in Tula 1934). I don't know much about the quality of various Nagants however; the one I have appears to be well made. It is a 7 shot and has a very long and hard DA trigger pull. I usaully use it SA mode. The ammuniton (7.62x38) is hard to come by so I fire .32 S&W longs through it with no problems. If you decide to use .32 S&W, don't be suprised if the lower portion of the spent cases are slightly bulged. The 7.62x38 ammo intended for this pistol has a tapering shape to its case. Anyways, it is worth the $70.00 I paid for it.

Not "bad" guns at all, considering what they are and were used for. Iinsofar as condition, well, I'd toss in an extra ten or so and ask for a select speciman if I could. I've a '41 mfg'd Tula, bore is markedly pitted and tho its a rearsenal (as are most I'm told) old damage marks are apparent on the cylinder and evidently it saw quite a bit of use.

Far as shooting goes, it surprized me. It'l hold one ragged hole groups with my handloads from about ten yards, tho that trigger takes some real getting used to. DA, usuable I guess if your life was in the balance, is ROUGH and HEAVY....I'm sure it could be improved on by some judicious file work on the mainspring, but I've been reluctant to try it as I don't have a spare.

Graf's sells brass thats apparently made by Starline and its of good quality but about 50 thou. short. They also were selling Bertram cases which are of the proper dimensions.

If you reload, don't full length resize the Bertrams as its reall hard and I had a bunch of split cases till I figured it out. The Starline loads flawlessly.

The load I came up with was 7.5 grains of Blue Dot, under a hard cast l00 gr . Lee lubed with alox. BUllet seated about 3/16 or so into the case and liquid alox dribbled on top (don't know if the latter helps much, but I do not have a leading problem, even with that pitted bore).

Its an ugly, neat, attention gettin' good shooter, hell, I might just talk myself into another if I keep on.

It's kinda like that ugly dog that you kept just because he kinda "grew" on you!

BAC
    I dunno, so far as I knew DA's (revolvers or semi's) smoothen up when used, which is an excuse to get more shooting in.

We just picked up a Nagant revolver for about that price a month ago, and are waiting to get ammo for it and see how she shoots. Little grip, but otherwise looks like a fun gun. Doesn't lend itself well to speed-reloads.

-B

Senior Moderator
    Ugly as sin but fun to shoot.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Guy at my old gun club back in UK in the 80's had one and shot incredibly well!! He reloaded for it and used LWC bullets - to great effect.

For that sorta money - why not!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

For that sorta money - why not!
    Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I was thinkin'. Why not!

But, that kind of logic might make me go out and buy one of those Hi-Point thingies.

OK, I might just do that too! Just 'cause!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

I bought one at a gun show a while back, just for the hell of it. Haven't had the chance to fire it yet, because of lack of ammo. I mistakenly got some 7.62 x 25, which is no help at all. I'm intrigued that you can use .32 S & W, though. Any issues with using that alternative?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Nagant and 32 S&W Long

As per my earlier post, I have been shooting the .32 S&W long through my nagant for some time now (about 200+ rounds) with out any problems. I don't remember the exact PSI that the 7.62x38 and .32 S&W had however, they were very similar. You should first slug the barrel first to determine the correct bore size. My nagant slugged at .311 and most 32 S&W lead ammo that I ran across has a bullet diameter of .311-.312. I will occasionally get a very slight bulge near the base of the spent casings due to the tapering of the cylinder. This is my personal experience therefore; use 32 S&W at your own risk.

Links