XS Standard sights review

This is a discussion on XS Standard sights review within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had the XS Standard sights put on my XD40SC today. I was really anxious to come home and try them out. When I first ...

Thread: XS Standard sights review

VIP Member

XS Standard sights review

I had the XS Standard sights put on my XD40SC today. I was really anxious to come home and try them out. When I first looked down the slide at the gunsmith's ( I just left the slide, not the entire gun), I was really wondering rather I would like them or not. It's a whole new look.

Once I got home I put the gun back together and did some dry firing with it. It became more and more likely I had made the right decision.

I went out back and shot at some targets just to see how accurate I could hit with it. It took shooting it about a dozen times to really get the feel of the sights. Once I did , I was grouping them just fine. I've not had to make any adjustments on the sights.

Then I began the true test of double tapping. This took a couple magazines to get the groups tight, but once I did, it was smoooooth sailing from then on. My eye is drawn to the front sight so much quicker than the original sights. I can't imagine how the Big Dots must be. I chose the standards because of the holster issue, though most say it should'nt be a problem. I never liked the sights on the XD.

Like it's been said many times on here, these sights are not for target shooting. They are for defensive shooting and that's pretty much the only shooting I do. I'm not interested in hitting a dot the size of a quarter.
    I am very happy with these sights. I'd like to see how the Big Dots are in comparison, but I believe these sights will suit me just fine.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Thanks for the report. I keep looking at these for my XD45 compact. After you use them for a couple of months I would like to read a follow up on how they are working.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I had a set of the XS Standard sights installed on my P226 for about six months now. They fast became my sight of choice for defensive shooting. They are quick to "pick up" and even quicker to realign for follow-up shots.

I would recommend them without hesitation.

Senior Moderator
    I really like mine and you would be surprised the kind of grouping you can get with them once you get used to them. I don't want to go to any other sight system for my carry guns.

Yep... I got the Big Dot tritiums for my XDsc because of my middle aged eyes wearing progressive lenses and because of the size of the subcompact. They were worth every penny and have been excellent.

As soon as the tritium fades a bit more on my Glock 23, they are getting replaced with a set of Big Dots as well. Sooner if I get a few bucks and can't wait any longer!

As a BUG, my XDsc will more than likely be a draw and point shoot type scenario, but if I need sights, I want to see that front sight on the target faster than the BG can, and the Big Dots does that in spades!

There's a lot of truth in "he who hits first, wins" and the Big Dots are pretty damn fast!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Since this review , I've had time to try some dry firing in low light. I'm amazed at how quick I can line the sights up from a draw. Has to be a huge advantage if ever needed at night. Money well spent.

Links