Guns an Water

This is a discussion on Guns an Water within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm taking the kids canoing tomorrow (for their first time) and I'm a bit concerned about being tipped and going in. We can all swim ...

Thread: Guns an Water

Guns an Water

I'm taking the kids canoing tomorrow (for their first time) and I'm a bit concerned about being tipped and going in. We can all swim and stuff and I know I can clean most of the gun OK, but what about all that tiny stuff deeply buried within the slide of my XD9SC? What could I do to ensure that nothing is corroding in there if the gun got dunked? Pointless worry?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Something to think about - better to have a plan!!

My approach would be - just for once WD40 could be useful!!! If the innards were fully flushed then that should displace the water - good start (WD=Water Displacement - the one thing it's good for!).

Then - next stage for me would be (polymer safe) carb/brake cleaner (in well ventilated area) and if possible then good blasts of compressed air. Finally attend to the lube aspect by applying small drops to internals with a tooth pick tip - and work the action - enough to disperse and lube hopefully but no excess to attract crud too much.

Finally of course - regular lube per the usual reassembly after field strip.

I am thinking too - holster have retention? Got a lanyard to keep gun attached to self? Deep sixing could be a problem
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I've got one of those vacuum seal food storage bag devices. If you were closer I could seal it up in plastic for you, if you got dunked it'd be fine. Maybe a thought is putting it inside a zip lock back (maybe two) and then holster the gun. If you got dunked you could probably get the gun above water quick enough to prevent it from being totally wet.

If it did get wet and gunky how about the steaming hot shower trick to clean it?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I don't take my semi's kayaking...I take a revolver. It's not the BG's I worry so much about, but rather the 'gators'...(It's a FL thing!).
    I have tipped with the gun getting wet...just took it apart and gave it a complete cleaning and lube...not a problem.
    I do think the double zip-lock bag trick could work (suck the air out prior to sealing)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BAC
    And if you had a Glock you wouldn't have to worry about all of this...

-B

Lead Moderator
    My hK gets clipped to a lanyard and then in the holster. Its made to be salt water resistant, but I would probably flush it out if it went swimming with me, like P95 described.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A Glock, SIG or Hk is a good idea but there are some parts internally that will rust on all of them. I would vacum seal or get a dry bag from a local sporting goods store if I were concerned about it. Carry along a can of break cleaner to blow it out later, lube and reassemble. The break cleaner will displace any water and due to it's high alcohol content dries very fast.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

quit worrying yourself over nothing. It's an XD
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B
    I'm a big Glock fan, but it doesn't change the fact that even if it's a Glock, if you get it wet you're gonna want to take it completely apart before relying on it again, and especially before leaving it alone with gun in it to corrode springs and such.

No, I would pack the gun in a Pelican case and tether that to the canoe. Either that or one of those roll-down drybags. They work well for me. It's what I use.

Thanks all and Chris, you have a good point about retention. Maybe I'll leave it behind this time and plan a little more ahead of time in the future. Maybe get a revo...

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B

If I had a Glock I couldn't hit anything without the sights (as in, under fire).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I don't take my semi's kayaking...I take a revolver. It's not the BG's I worry so much about, but rather the 'gators'...(It's a FL thing!).
    Gators? You call them little lizards you got up there gators?

I'll second retsup on the revo specially if doused with WD 40 like Chris mentions with a secure flap holster firmly attached to your person somewhere.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'll second P95's suggestion, with the addition that anytime I use an aerosol solvent on the guts of a gun, I follow up with an aerosol penetrating lube to get in and coat the fiddly bits that I can't see. My personal preference is G96.

Make sure you have a lanyard or other retention or you might end up losing it.

If you do bag the gun, don't holster it - you'll end up with a loose holster. I wouldn't even wear a leather holster around water, now's the perfect time for a cheap Fobus.

Other than that, don't sweat it. A little water ain't gonna hurt a thing. Just be sure and give it a good cleaning at the end of the day - even if you don't get dunked, it will get a lot of moisture and condensate.

Joe

BAC
    I do fine in dynamic drills with the Glock, but it's also the gun that constitutes 99% of my handgun experience. I only mention it because once a round is chambered the seal is airtight, and you can technically fire underwater.

Technically. As if you wanted to stake your life on that word.

-B

Links