Defensive Carry banner

Guns Gone in Wal-Mart in N. Texas

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  The Fish 
#1 ·
Who'd have thought? In Bonham, Texas, population 9,800, the Wal-Mart has quit selling guns. They're all gone. Gone.

Still selling ammo - but the guns are gone.

When I was a kid, you could buy a gun at Sears, Gibsons, Bailly Farm Supply, hardware stores - practically anywhere.

I guess I don't feel more safe.

#3 ·
I am not sure when our WM's stopped stocking handguns - before my being here I guess but - AFAIK still, they have some shotties and rifles at my local ones.

I got my Marlin60 at a Wally World six years ago for a very good price and have an old (from Sears originally) Ted Williams 12G shottie.

''Times - they are a changin" (could be a song there :wink:)

#9 ·
Oh, you mean like Delray Shooting Center, which lies to its customers about the reason why they won't let you bring any (ANY!!!!!) outside ammo or targets to use on their range? Whoever's in charge there is operating just to FLEECE gun owners. You should see the absurd prices they charge for EVERYTHING.

Standard .40S&W Winchester white box is $14.99 for 50!!

You should see how much they get for standard stock Glocks and HKs (and, well, just about everything else).

I'm not talking about fair market prices, I'm talking about "take-advantage-of-people-who-might-not-know-better" prices.

And they will tell you a half dozen conflicting stories about why they won't let you use outside ammo. The two top gems are:

"People were bringing in armor-piercing ammo and damaging our backstop." (Oh really? Where were people getting this armor-piercing pistol ammo? Isn't it illegal to sell that to civilians? So it must be what, COPS, doing all this damage to your range?! Cops who won't abide by a no-armor-piercing-ammo rule?)

"It's... uh... the county. Yeah, yeah, it's a county thing."
("What, you mean it's like a county law?" "No, uh, it's a regulation.") :rolleyes:

Not all gun shops are out to protect the interests, rights, or even the dignity of the gun-owning public. :mad:

#11 ·
Jeff, I am guessing you are not the only one that had troubles with these guys.
Unfortunately there are some gun shops in SoFla that really are not into the customer. Other than Lou's, you can actually shop for better deals out in the internet. Florida Gun Center is the store & Range closest to where I live (bought my WASR there for a very decent price and they allow me to shoot fast and do IDPA drills if the range is empty or almost) and I never had troubles with them but some people say they had. I had problems with Big Al's in Hallandale years ago due to their poor safety at their range (No range master and a group of kids shooting gangsta-style and showing poor muzzle control even after warned) plus crappy prices. I went twice to range at bass pro shop and got fed up with the range master attitude of "If you aint IPSC, you ain't squat."
I heard great things about American Indoor under new ownership both price wise and range wise. You may want to give them a try.

#12 ·
Guns have been gone from the Illinois Walmarts now for about a year. We still have ammo, but the selections have really went down.

#13 ·
Born in Bonham, used to go to the "America" theater for a dime. Shot my first rifle out in Ivanhoe, and tromped all over the place when I was a young boy armed with a single shot 22. Sad to think that even small town America's are becoming PC.:tumbleweed:

#15 ·
Bet you tromped all around Lake Bonham too - shooting water mocassins and other evil varmits. It's all built out now with houses, but the water moc's are still here too! They give me occasional practice <grin>

Unfortunately, we have to trek over to Sherman to Texoma Gun Range or Gander Mntn or some of the other gun stores over there. Still pretty close though. I never bought a gun at Wal-Mart, so it's no loss to me.

#14 ·
To be honest I couldn't tell you if the Walmart in my area sells guns anymore or not. I have a Bass Pro, a Cabellas a local Sporting goods store, and 3 dedicated gun stores within 1/2 hour of my house. Just no desire to trek to Wally World.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.