Wal-Mart Store Not Selling Handgun Ammo

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart Store Not Selling Handgun Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be taking a tactical training course in November and will need 600 rounds of 9mm ammo. I found myself in the West Palm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I will be taking a tactical training course in November and will need 600 rounds of 9mm ammo. I found myself in the West Palm Beach area yesterday and decided to buy the ammo at a new Super Wal-mart store that recently opened. When I asked where the ammo was, I was shocked to be told that they don't sell handgun ammo. I wound up buying it at my local Wal-Mart.

Anyone else know of a Wal-mart that does not sell handgun ammo?

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I bought 200 rounds of 9mm & 100 rounds of .380 at a local Super Wal Mart a few months ago and they had plenty on hand then.

I'd heard rumors on ths board that Wal Mart was doing away with their rifles and possibly ammo, but I haven't heard it confirmed yet.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Assistant Administrator
    Was the local branch one of the ''older'' ones - I am guessing it must be. Our most recent reasonably local super store does still carry ammo but I usually use one of the old stores for my purchases - they seem to have a better stock and selection. That said - reloading is gonna keep me away from that place for ammo for quite some time anyways, the way prices have skyrocketed!

Does seem as tho there is the beginnings of a trend possible. Funny tho - I seem to recall KMart was gonna pull ammo some time ago - and yet I use one not too far away to get my fave .22 ammo for pin shooting in 22/45.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey Ron...Greetings!

Every Wal-Mart I've been to around here has ammo, but I still buy it at my local gunshop...it's good for 'two-way' business!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is Wal-mart near me that doesnt have a Tire-Lube shop. The local Neighborhood Associations have a lot to do with what the local businesses sell in thier area
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The Wal-Mart nearest to me does not sell guns or ammo. I never shop there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Was the local branch one of the ''older'' ones - I am guessing it must be. Our most recent reasonably local super store does still carry ammo but I usually use one of the old stores for my purchases - they seem to have a better stock and selection. That said - reloading is gonna keep me away from that place for ammo for quite some time anyways, the way prices have skyrocketed!

Does seem as tho there is the beginnings of a trend possible. Funny tho - I seem to recall KMart was gonna pull ammo some time ago - and yet I use one not too far away to get my fave .22 ammo for pin shooting in 22/45.
    Yes, the local store that sells ammo is an older store.
    I just didn't realize that policies, such as what is sold, was not established by central Wal-mart management.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey Ron...Greetings!

Every Wal-Mart I've been to around here has ammo, but I still buy it at my local gunshop...it's good for 'two-way' business!
    Hi Ken,

I usually also buy from my local gun shop, except in this case I needed so much ammo that it was just much cheaper to buy from Wal-Mart.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Wal-mart

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I will be taking a tactical training course in November and will need 600 rounds of 9mm ammo. I found myself in the West Palm Beach area yesterday and decided to buy the ammo at a new Super Wal-mart store that recently opened. When I asked where the ammo was, I was shocked to be told that they don't sell handgun ammo. I wound up buying it at my local Wal-Mart.

Anyone else know of a Wal-mart that does not sell handgun ammo?

Ron
    I can get it in several Walmarts in P.B. county.(Old "small" stores and Super stores) Perhaps problem was the I.Q. of the person you spoke to.Which store did you go to??
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    I can get it in several Walmarts in P.B. county.(Old "small" stores and Super stores) Perhaps problem was the I.Q. of the person you spoke to.Which store did you go to??
    It was the new Wal-Mart off of Northlake behind Lowes.

J. R. R. Tolkien

No prob with guns or ammo at Walmart here. In fact I just bought 300 rounds of .45 acp FMJ (CCI Blazer) for $9.52 for a box of 50. I think I'd better go buy some more to show my support.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Stores need permits from the local authorities as well as BATFE.

Frequently local policies or prejudices influence what a store is allowed to sell.

We have Wal-Mart stores in our area who sell ammo (and used to sell guns) but the local police chief "prohibited" them from selling paintball or airguns/supplies (neither of which actually require any permits to own/sell, just a minimum age to purchase). The threat of losing their state ammo dealer's license "keeps them in line".

Some other WMs can sell paintball but not airgun, etc. Some don't sell any ammo/paintball/airguns.

We're getting a new BassPro in the area, it will be interesting to see what their local chief allows/disallows.
    NRA Instructor

Moscow Idaho = yes
    Lewiston Idaho = yes

Pullman WA, if they ever build it, I sure as heck hope they do!

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    We're getting a new BassPro in the area, it will be interesting to see what their local chief allows/disallows.
    I couldn't imagine a BassPro that doesn't sell Guns and Ammo.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

New Walmart in Grand Haven, Michigan doens't sell ammo or guns. The next closest two in Muskegon, Michigan only sell ammo.
    Nick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links