Ruger P90, last round jams

This is a discussion on Ruger P90, last round jams within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone- I've just started having an issue with my P90 that I could use some help in solving. Earlier this week I had cleaned/oiled ...

Thread: Ruger P90, last round jams

Hey everyone-

I've just started having an issue with my P90 that I could use some help in solving. Earlier this week I had cleaned/oiled the pistol as it had been sitting for a few months (sadly I haven't had much time to go shooting because of work keeping me busy) and after I was done I cycled the slide a few times to see if everything was still functioning properly. I was able to chamber and eject all but the last round in the magazine, the last round doesn't make it into the chamber and locks the slide up. I tried it on both the magazines I have for the gun, the older style 7-round that I assume is the one that came with the gun (bought used, gun was made in 2002 according to Ruger's site) and I also tested it with a 8-round factory mag thats only 3-4 months old.

My first thought on this is the mag springs are weak, and for a while I did store both mags loaded which I know isn't the best for them, but is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Assistant Administrator
    Opinion still varies on mag springs but the majority view is these days it's hardly a factor. I am assuming that both followers are totally free ... resistance from those (tho unlikely with two mags giving same problem) can matter at end of spring's function. If last round does not "make it" - is that because it noses up to much and hits top of chamber mouth?

Your feed test sounds like a static one - as against dynamic when shooting. So - did you slingshot the slide to give it max velocity? That last round can be more critical sometimes to get fed and into battery - usually needs full slide speed..

How did it perform when last shot?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris, thanks for the thoughts, You were dead on, I wasn't letting the slide cycle completely it seems, as I tried again but let the slide go forward on its own entirely and both mags cycled fine, locking the slide back after the last round is ejected. So it seems everything is fine after all. With any luck this long weekend will let me get back out and squeeze off a few rounds so I can get back in practice!

Assistant Administrator
    Good - glad to hear that Mike.

I always feel - last round of mag most of all - that there is a finite time during which the stripped off round will be able to engage the chamber - too slow and bullet can tip up too much.

I had this happen with my SIG 226 when I discovered that grease on slide rails was stiffening and collecting crud - enough to slow slide with std pressure ammo - and so poor feeds. I now use oil only and clean/lube more often.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links