Always trying

This is a discussion on Always trying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To spread the word that is! Last Wednesday 29th there was a report on my local news of the third - yes third "accidental" shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always trying

Assistant Administrator

Always trying

To spread the word that is! Last Wednesday 29th there was a report on my local news of the third - yes third "accidental" shooting involving kids, within two months.

The first was a leg injury and the others both fatal. I decided to try a letter to my local paper on the matter as it has pretty large readership - hoping that just maybe it'd get the message thru to just a few extra parents. We have to keep trying. I was glad to see it published yesterday - this was it.

I am appalled to hear today (August 29th) of the third gun incident involving a child within our area - the third in about two months, the first being an injury but the others resulting in fatalities. While these are generally reported as "accidents", sorry to say they are actually cases of negligence in some form.

There are two factors here which lie behind such events, the first being too often a lack of early education with children on general aspects of gun safety, and this including "toy" guns also. The second factor is of course gun security - preventing access by a juvenile. Combine these two successfully and there should be no such "accidents".

I am a certified NRA Instructor and nothing would please me more than to have the opportunity to talk to really young kids about the safety aspect. However and unfortunately there is so much these days which makes guns politically incorrect, it is hard to see much chance of reaching a large audience. I would prefer that responsible parents who own guns not only ensure the security aspect but teach their children from an early age and so have eductated children who understand correct and safe handling.

Perhaps the worst problem is that our schools these days are so "zero tolerance" that if a child so much as draws a gun picture they can be suspended! The gun itself is not the demon, it is those who seek to do harm and also those who are too ignorant that increase the sinister aspect though malevolent or irresponsible useage.

If (and I can dream) I was given the opportunity I would for no cost, address a class of elementary school children just so as to make sure they were fully aware of what is involved, with safety as the prime subject. That would no doubt be disallowed by school authorities and even more be frowned on or forbidden by some parents. A pity when this can save lives or injury.

Out of all the rules of safety there is one that stands out in my opinion, although all rules are important - it is simply that no gun (even a toy) should be pointed at something that one is not willing to destroy! It's that simple and if only that was learned and followed we would not have these tragic episodes.

My heart goes out to all involved within these (sadly avoidable) tragedies.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Good letter...just as they talk about drinking & driving in schools...gun safety should also be a focus...for parents as well.

Rick

VIP Member
    Excellent letter, Chris! Thoughtful and well written enough that perhaps it will make a positive impact on some of the firearm "fence sitters"...

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Great letter Chris.
    Hopefully some day they will find a cure for stupid and irresponsible parents.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    IT's a fact, guns are going to be in the home even if just for hunting purposes. No different than a butcher knife. It's insane the educational system feels it's just not proper to talk gun safety in a public setting. So the killing goes on.

Quote:

"Perhaps the worst problem is that our schools these days are so "zero tolerance" that if a child so much as draws a gun picture they can be suspended! The gun itself is not the demon, it is those who seek to do harm and also those who are too ignorant that increase the sinister aspect though malevolent or irresponsible useage.

If (and I can dream) I was given the opportunity I would for no cost, address a class of elementary school children just so as to make sure they were fully aware of what is involved, with safety as the prime subject. That would no doubt be disallowed by school authorities and even more be frowned on or forbidden by some parents. A pity when this can save lives or injury."

Great letter. The above two paragraphs sum up my very emotional feelings on the subject. They are a perfect example of the old proverb: “There are none so blind as those, that will not see.”
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Perhaps the worst problem is that our schools these days are so "zero tolerance" that if a child so much as draws a gun picture they can be suspended! The gun itself is not the demon, it is those who seek to do harm and also those who are too ignorant that increase the sinister aspect though malevolent or irresponsible useage.
    Well said. The logic here is well presented. Only fools could not see it.

Well said and i completely agree. I also train my kids to never point they're (toy) guns at people. they shoot at pretend deer elk and bears. however, I'm not sure about when they get older and want to play with paint ball and air soft. How do you feel about these guns?
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Very well stated.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by xd.40sub View Post
    Well said and i completely agree. I also train my kids to never point they're (toy) guns at people. they shoot at pretend deer elk and bears. however, I'm not sure about when they get older and want to play with paint ball and air soft. How do you feel about these guns?
    Coming from a paintball player backround, as well as being a paintball technician and playing in some am/semi pro tournaments. I think there is a differn't maturity level when using these devices.

Paintball and airsoft are used by alot of LE/ Military training programs, and it can be very fun and gratifying as a weekend outing. I understand now the armed forces are recruiting people heavily with this backround because it does teach a semi aggressive survival style of attitude. Is that Bad?

I agree that you should Alway keep a gun pointed in a safe direction. ( I.E. away from people or something you don't want to get shot)
    However, is a paintball a firearm or a marker? By whos standards? ATF's? or is it because it shoots a projectile that it needs to follow the basic safety rule? I kind of view paintball as capture the flag with exended markers that act like extended arms. I also don't think that we should condone the Police and Miltiary for using them as training similulators.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Lead Moderator
    Nice letter. Hopefully it will raise the awareness of a few , if not many as to proper gun safety.
    As for paintball/airsoft. I view them as training tools/toys that require proper safety gear. I does train one to be able to shoot another person, teaching your kids the right moral / legal decision with a real gun is the parents responsibility.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I admit there is a special case for paintball ........ however, the distinction here is that for correct and safe use there needs to be protective gear employed. If that is done correctly then it is a great game.

I do recall however some ways back having to reprimand my step son when he was into paint ball - and he was waiving the thing around in the house - and in that situation I still regard rule #2 as totally necessary and viable. A paintball to the eye could well mean loss of sight.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I admit there is a special case for paintball ........ however, the distinction here is that for correct and safe use there needs to be protective gear employed. If that is done correctly then it is a great game.

I do recall however some ways back having to reprimand my step son when he was into paint ball - and he was waiving the thing around in the house - and in that situation I still regard rule #2 as totally necessary and viable. A paintball to the eye could well mean loss of sight.
    In no way due I disagree, I was just saying the game/ training in general should not be condoned.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Well stated letter Chris.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    he was waiving the thing around in the house - and in that situation I still regard rule #2 as totally necessary and viable. A paintball to the eye could well mean loss of sight.
    Chris I agree with you very much, especially about the eye. I'll also add the point that along with the safety issues, just lasering someone even with a empty paintball gun is plain discourteous. There are certain people that I won't hunt/shoot with because of their poor safety habits. Whether it be a BB gun, paintball gun, disassembled firearm or other, when someone gets sloppy with their gun safety it will hinder their gun safety habits. When I was a kid growing up, my father DRILLED gun safety into me. We never had an ND AD or even came close. Those habits are so ingrained in me that I am automatically aware of the direction of the bore and location of people before I move a gun. IMO gun safety is paramount and sloppy gun handling negatively impacts building good safety habits.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links