Need information on a S&W SW9VE

This is a discussion on Need information on a S&W SW9VE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a chance to buy a SW9VE. It's about a month old and reportedly has had 15 rounds fired through it. I've heard (and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need information on a S&W SW9VE

I have a chance to buy a SW9VE. It's about a month old and reportedly has had 15 rounds fired through it.

I've heard (and read) that some people hate the trigger. Anyone know about these pistols? Looking for any info I can get, and what would be a fair price for private party sale.

Thanks
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

I have one. It was my first gun (just added a Walther PPS First Edition). I don't have any problem with the trigger pull. I pull the trigger - it goes bang. For comparison, I've only dry-fired the Walther. The Walther seems more crisp. The Sigma (SW9VE) feels more like golf swing - you pull through the bang.

I'm still new to guns, and I bet you have more experience than I do. So you may feel the trigger is unacceptable to you. Why is it for sale? 15 rounds is just one magazine full!

New, this gun was $349.95 (I think it was on sale, regular price maybe $399.95?) including two 15 round magazines, case, manual, and cable lock. This summer there was a mail-in coupon for 2 more free magazines from S&W. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Oh and mine is all black, if that makes any difference in pricing.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

i've owned one for over awhile now, with about 2,000 rounds through it. here's what i've found:

1. the trigger takes some getting used to. if you've shot d/a revolvers, then the sigma should be no problem. otherwise, it'll take about 200 rounds before the trigger smooths out. i personally like the trigger; it feels safer to me, somehow, like there's less chance of an a/d.

2. do not use any mags over the 16 round cap. i bought one that would have raised the cap. to 17+1, but the mag would fall out as the next round would feed.

3. it's picky about what you feed it. winchester s/d and ranger xt, and federal s/d rounds work flawlessly, but hornady rounds are not 100%, and it hates speer gold dots.

brand new, the gun will go for $280 - $380. used, i've seen them for $250. if the guy's a friend of yours, try and get him to sell it for $200.

the sigma gets a lot of crap from a lot of people, but they base their criticism on earlier models, or just on what others have said. IMO, it's a pretty good gun that does what it supposed to do: go BANG on demand.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I agree. If it's a newer production model (and it probably is, as those have seen increased popularity since being issued to Iraqi police forces) it's likely problem-free and reliable. The Sigma was originally designed to transition LEOs from revolvers to semi-autos, and to make things easier, they incorporated a heavy DA trigger so it would feel just like the officers were used to, while getting accustomed to magazines, slides, and other new quirks they didn't have on a wheel gun.

VIP Member
    Many people love to dislike the Sigma, but I have never had any real difficulty with my SW40VE. I agree that, if you have fired revolvers, you will not have a problem with the trigger and that it does smooth out with firing. Mine is a little finicky with bullet profile, but that is the only concern I have had.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

VIP Member
    I had one for the wife but she hated the trigger so I swapped it for a snubby. I personally dislike S&W semis, just a thing I have and nothing based on their performance.
    Wolff Springs makes a kit for the Sigma IRRC.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Ive had one for 6 years now and it eats anything I feed it.I must admit it's not used much now as the glocks get most of the trigger time at the range.It was a great value for the money.All the negative
    press that sigma gets is from alot of people who never owned one.

Senior Moderator
    I've never owned one but fired them LIKE CRAZY.. We have a few at our shop and I've put quite a few rounds through them.

I will never own one because I too hate the trigger.

I'm used to my SA 1911s, but don't usually mind the triggers on things like the Glocks, M&Ps, XDs and so on. There are a few guns, however, that though I have fired, I've never enjoyed shooting them: the Kel-Tec pistols and the Sigma. The triggers are just that much of a deal breaker for me.

I've also seen at least three of them come back for pretty major problems. I wouldn't recommend the Sigma, but that's me.

Trigger work

Actually, the trigger is easy to work on and gives a very smooth pull that is much lighter than the stock and still 100% reliable. We charge $30 or $40 depending on the springs needed. The rental at my shop in 9mm is reliable as anything else, and the magazines are super sturdy.

About 3 months ago, a local shop was selling them for $249 nib...Rented one and put about 150 rounds of cheapest ammo w/o any problem; gun felt really good in the hand but disliked the 14 lb trigger pull, also it was very inaccurate compared to my sigs and glocks so I passed on it despite the low price.

I use one for my EDC. The trigger like above mentioned is gritty and way heavy, however you won't likely ND with it even in a stress situation. I've got several thousand rounds through mine and it has yet to hiccup with any factory ammo. (mine likes gold-dots as well as all others) While not a tack driver it is certainly accurate enough for self defence ranges and shoots straighter than a snubby.

Good gun for the money in my opinion. I got mine and my wifes new in box for 280 per gun.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

A buddy of mine at work has one, he really likes it. Nice and affordable.
    But wow, I've felt that trigger pull, that'd be a deal breaker for me. It is lonnnnngggg........

I would recommend an M&P or Glock, the trigger sucks on the SIGMA.

I also have a Question: I noticed it seems to be the older models that have the problem with jamming. I just purchased a 40VE and want to know if there is a way I can determine if it an older model or the new and improved version. Hopefully someone out there will know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitzwater View Post
    I also have a Question: I noticed it seems to be the older models that have the problem with jamming. I just purchased a 40VE and want to know if there is a way I can determine if it an older model or the new and improved version. Hopefully someone out there will know the answer.

the "F" series were the originals. they had longer barrels, no access. rails, and smooth grips. they were followed by the "E", "P", "V", and finally the "VE".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links