Defensive Carry banner

Oil vs Grease?

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  FIREARMZ 
#1 ·
Is it true that grease will slow down your slide speed? Could this cause a malfunction?

#12 ·
I put a small dot of grease on each of the the guides on my Glocks (the ones on the receiver that fit into the grooves of the slide). No malfuctions.
you could put rocks in the guides of your glocks and they wont malfunction. :biggrin2:

#4 ·
A friend recommended a product called Slide-Glide, it's a grease and you you have to choose the type depending on the temperature. I'm curious what advantage this would have over oil. Reliability is obviously more important than protection, my weapons aren't museum pieces they are tools.

#5 ·
I use grease on the slides of all my semi-autos, they all work just fine. But, as was already said, you need to test it out on your own weapon.

#10 ·
I use the Tetra Gun Grease on all my pistols. They are Glocks and pretty much everything works on those.

I have heard that some grease might start to stiffen up when in really cold weather. I've never seen this personally though.

#13 ·
I use TW25B on my slide rails and gun oil everywhere else that needs lubrication in my SIG's, never had any problems. :yup:

#14 ·
Grease on slides

It depends on the kind of grease, the temperature, and the amount of grease. There is grease designed to be applied to slides and other parts of guns that must be applied very lightly and on a clean surface and carefully. Yes too much grease will slow down the slide and could cause a malfunction. Extreme cold is another problem and just using a low temperature lube is better. A good gun oil of a known brand will probably be OK. Too much of anything can be a problem. Also in severe condition like sand blowing in a desert area could cause a well oiled, greased gun to collect dirt. Keeping a gun clean and lightly oiled is usually sufficient. I have cleaned guns with solvents and air pressure just like car parts, that works too. Some lubricants can seep into ammunition and cause problems. Moderation is advised. Read some good literature on gun cleaning and keep climate and use in mind.

#17 ·
I have related my grease experience before - briefly it was ........

SIG 226 ST - pretty tight tolerances ..... started running bad with FTF's. Had put Tetra grease on rails and shot a mag or two and left it be before next use in a competition, when the trouble occurred.

I must have gathered enough crud that with std pressure (9mm) it slowed it down such that full rear travel was unobtainable. When I field stripped and took out recoil ass'y, I replaced slide and was aware of serious drag.

These days - oil all the way even if my lube interval is shorter. Mobil 1 and/or Militech 1 for me. I think if Mobil 1 was all I had it would serve fine for all lube in the gun.

Even the R9 used to have grease recommended for slide but I know now that too with its tight tolerances suffered and it now is an oil lube job.

#20 ·
Not a good grease. A good oil can run to places you don't intend; a good grease will flow less far. ie, Militec-1 oil and Militec-1 grease. There are plenty of quality products out there. Pick one that's designed for firearms, designed without additives and components that can seize up in the cold, don't attract significant amounts of gunge and dirt.

#21 ·
I've always used oil and really like its lubricating properties. It doesn't take much and if applied properly doesn't saturate.

#22 ·
Try Gun Butter

I ran across this stuff in the 1911 forum.

It is what I would call a very thick oil - Not really oil and not really grease.

Two things I like about it - It stays where you put it, and comes with a nifty needle-tube dispenser.

Used on slide rails etc. on my 1911 and makes it run, well as smooth as butter.

I found that Gun Butter really smoothed out the action on my .38 snubby too. Mainly I think because I can put just a tiny fraction of a drop wherever needed.

....Skye....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.