Worst Gun You've Had? - Page 3

Worst Gun You've Had?

This is a discussion on Worst Gun You've Had? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Only something someone might have given me as a hand me down, perhaps. Even as a newb to the handgun world, I did the due ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Worst Gun You've Had?

Sponsor
    Only something someone might have given me as a hand me down, perhaps. Even as a newb to the handgun world, I did the due diligence and researched before I purchased, and rarely bought a "new" model of anything until the reports came in after a few years on their reliability. .
    QKShooter likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

It wasn't a bad gun, but of all the guns I have owned over the years it's the one that I had the most trouble with: early edition of the Taurus 24/7 9mm.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I could say Taurus (twice!), yet truthfully, it wasn't so much the pistols. 'Cuz that can happen with ANY manufacturer. It was the months (and months...and months) of zero communication from their Warranty/Service Department, having to tell the details a half-dozen times to as many different people (NEVER the same contact) & a general sense of lazy who-cares that soured me, uhhh...forever.
    TeflonDon, msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Glock 19 !
    ROFL, you took my idea... I guess I'll have to go with the DiamondBack DB9 and Phoenix Arms hp22a (way too many safeties)...
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I could say Taurus (twice!), yet truthfully, it wasn't so much the pistols. 'Cuz that can happen with ANY manufacturer. It was the months (and months...and months) of zero communication from their Warranty/Service Department, having to tell the details a half-dozen times to as many different people (NEVER the same contact) & a general sense of lazy who-cares that soured me, uhhh...forever.
    Should have taken my advice GT and went with a top tier manufacturer with better customer service like I've been telling you, and leave Tauruses alone. Guess some people have to learn the hard way.
    ghost tracker likes this.

Charter Arms AR-7 closely followed by a Walther/Umarex P-22. Neither one could go though a magazine w/o some FTF,FTE, or double feed. These are some fine examples of low quality and high level of aggravation. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Should have taken my advice GT and went with a top tier manufacturer with better customer service like I've been telling you, and leave Tauruses alone. Guess some people have to learn the hard way.
    TDon, I was BORN a gun snob. And I shall (Gaud willin') DIE...a gun snob! (*and I regularly take your sage advice)
    TeflonDon and PhaedrusIV like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Glock 19 !
    There are some forums out there that would make you want to put on one of those volcano suits for saying that! I do get a kick out of those people though.

Kahr PM40 I never fired a full magazine without a FTF or FTE. Went back to the factory three times and the barrel peened with less than 200 rounds through it. $700 paperweight.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That is the biggest problem with Taurus indeed. When a company handles a recall like they did, you know they can't be trusted. And it seems like every time they get a CEO who seems to give a crap, something happens and they're gone in a year. It's a shame because they have so much potential. They're creative, they have lots of options for the low to mid cost market, etc. If they could get their quality control up and their customer service turned around, they could be one of the top dogs out there.

I'll term it as "disappointment" rather than worst, because it was just that.
    Ruger SR-22 (two of them), and Beretta Bobcat (22lr) were disappointing due to FTL/FTE issue. After these three I've pretty much given up on 22lr semi-autos for range fun and plinking.

Then gravitated to revolvers for plinking and range fun instead and my LCR and Single-Ten are a real pleasure for my wife, daughter and me.
    Proudly Clinging to my Guns and Bible

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Administrator
    Regarding the Charter AR-7
    Henry really has the function related issues/bugs worked out of their U.S. Survival Rifle.

Which is NOT the same as saying that it is the IDEAL "Survival Type" rimfire rifle.

Only that now they actually work.

It is a blast to shoot. It likes stiffer rimfire ammo. But, it feeds and functions with just about any bullet nose configuration though it is supposed to prefer round nose.

As a "Survival" type firearm....whatever that is supposed to mean.

WHY didn't they go with an aircraft grade aluminum receiver?

The barrel is the most lightweight barrel I have ever come across but, the receiver is HEAVY.

MUCH heavier than needed.

There is wasted space in the hollow stock that Could Be used to store a lot of extra .22 rounds.

And if you mount an optic....The Parts no longer store in the stock.

On the plus side....it is fairly inexpensive and it will put meat in the pot in some future....Help! I'm Lost In The Woods! situation.

Hands down though for a very lightweight rimfire rifle accurate, ultra-reliable, maintenance free, I would opt for a vintage, mint condition Remington Nylon 66.

2nd would be a Ruger 10/22. since everything under the Sun is available for it.

BTW....the Remington Nylon 66 "used to be" an inexpensive .22 NOW the asking price for them borders on the unreal.

If you spot one somewhere in a gun shop at a low price and it's in really good condition... snap it up.
    5lima30ret, PhaedrusIV and OD* like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    I personally haven't had any serious issues with any firearm. I sent an SP101 in to Ruger because the hammer pivot pin was wedged in, but it didn't hinder operation. Just disassembly. Had it back in three weeks I think, and they explained they were behind because of the holidays.

My father's TEC-22 however, has been retired for quite a while ever since it went full auto. It was a jam-omatic to begin with, but one time a relative was over and wanted to shoot it. It sounded like he was doing a real fast mag dump. He came back in and exclaimed "You didn't tell me this thing was fully auto". We then told him it wasn't and it has since been put on a shelf until such as desire to look into the problem arises.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Administrator
    Interesting Historical Facts regarding the Remington Nylon 66 since I am allowed to go completely off topic every now and again for the general interest of forum members.

In 1959 Tom Frye of Nevada used 3 Remington Nylon 66 rifles to shoot 100,010 little 2.5" square wood blocks tossed into the air.

He shot for 13 days straight....8 hrs. a day at a rate of 1,000 shots per hour.

He "missed" SIX times in 100,010 shots. I am best guessing that WHEN he missed...he didn't miss by very much. Amazing shooter!

Each of the 3 rifles was cleaned 3 times in the 13 day period.

Remington originally included a little square block of wood shot by Tom during that record breaking event with each rifle sold.

I have also noticed that the 66 shoots very naturally right where you look but, I couldn't hold a candle to Tom Frye.

There exists on line a vintage B&W photo of Frye and a mountain of tiny wood blocks. Neat photo.

OK.....Back on topic. Hope that you thought that was just interesting in general.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Interesting Historical Facts regarding the Remington Nylon 66 since I am allowed to go completely off topic every now and again for the general interest of forum members.

In 1959 Tom Frye of Nevada used 3 Remington Nylon 66 rifles to shoot 100,010 little 2.5" square wood blocks tossed into the air.

He shot for 13 days straight....8 hrs. a day at a rate of 1,000 shots per hour.

He "missed" SIX times in 100,010 shots.
    I used to do this with 1" wood cubes with my grandfather's Winchester 290. Though the ratio was switched. I'd maybe hit six times in 100k shots
    QKShooter likes this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links