Glock 26 - "Limp Wristing"

This is a discussion on Glock 26 - "Limp Wristing" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I had a "date night" Saturday and prior to going out for dinner I talked her into going to the shooting range. ...

Thread: Glock 26 - "Limp Wristing"

Glock 26 - "Limp Wristing"

My wife and I had a "date night" Saturday and prior to going out for dinner I talked her into going to the shooting range. My wife is an experience if not frequent shooter and she did well with a small frame .38; a Glock 26 (9mm) and even a Kimber 1911. We had a great time and she even said she wants to file for her own CCL.

During our visit to the range my otherwise reliable G26 mis-fed twice, each time while my wife was shooting. This has NEVER happened before and I have put more than 500 rounds through the gun and I keep it clean and lubed. Following the second jam I put another 30 rounds through it with no failures.

I checked the cartridges involved in the two jams and there were no unusual marks on them that might point to some mechanical failure.

One of the guys at the range said it might be "limp wrisiting", which until that time I had never heard of.

I really enjoy my G26 and I want to remain confident in its performance. My wife also likes it but at this point I recommend she consider the .38 as her "go-to" weapon until we figure out what's up with the Glock.

Does anyone have any similar experience with "Limp Wristing"? Or any shooting advice for overcoming this factor?

JK

2. Remove Ads

"limp wristing" is holding the gun loosely enough that the frame moves in initial recoil along with the slide, resulting in failure to eject. Sounds like that was the problem as it did not happen when you were shooting. Make sure she grips tightly and locks both wrists when shooting.

Administrator
    Yep, sounds like a classic limp wristed semi-automatic failure.
    Different shooters grip their firearms differently.
    Some shoot with a more "relaxed" grip some folks are somewhere in the middle and some grip their firearm very hard.

I am totally with Massad Ayoob on this one and I belong to the School Of The Crushing Firearm Grip and I lock my wrists.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Sounds like limp wristing to me to.

My wife had the same problem when she had her 26. Tell her to grip harder.

By the way, when it happens and she complains to you that something is wrong with the gun, I advise you not to take it away and rapidly fire two magazines and then return it to her with a grunt saying "Quit limpwristing!".

I am not going to admit to it, but lets just say from personal experience it is not a wise thing to do.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    My wife and I experienced the exact same thing that you wrote about. I do believe she's limp-wristing. It's all about the frame needing to remain in a grip that is solid and steady which will allow the slide to do its work.......it's a physics issue.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for sharing all of your experience. I am feeling much better about the reliability of my Glock.

I am continually impressed by this forum. Where else can you get quality handgun advice from around the country along with sound marital counseling!

Thanks again for all of your feedback.

JK

Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    Thanks for sharing all of your experience. I am feeling much better about the reliability of my Glock.

I am continually impressed by this forum. Where else can you get quality handgun advice from around the country along with sound marital counseling!

Thanks again for all of your feedback.

JK
    That is what it is in most cases. I have 3 different model Glocks, and I have tryied to limp wrist to cause a malfunction. It does not work for me, I just can't get it to malfunction

I'll chime in with the same advice as well...my wife has a G26...the first round the gun had through it was a limp wrist failure to feed. After that I explained what the problem was and there haven't been any other problems with it.

What specific advice did you give her to prevent the problem? Just grip tighter?

it see if it limp wristing:
    have her shoot and you firmly hold her wrists or
    have her shoot one handed and to hold her shooting wrist with the other hand. If the problems goes away for the most part- thats it.
    a well maintained, clean and lubricated gun will jam less with a limp wrist, but may still do it.
    so make sure the gun is ok. then help her strengthen her wrists with weights, etc.
    Make her concentrate of keeping the wrists stiff, not just the grip.
    Forget about aiming and such for a little while until you get this figured out. I have this problem sometimes as well. i know its a combo of me having weak wrists and my gun needs to be polished up (which i cant really get done where i am at the moment) but i know it doesnt happen with +P ammo (for me) so I have time to fix it- i know if i ever had to use my defensive ammo it wouldnt be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post

"Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

also does she lock her elbows or keep them straight. locking elbows may help compensate for weaker wrists and hands.

no insult intended
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I shoot with a relaxed grip (Not going to say I'm Limp Wristed) and that is why SIG's dont work for me.

CCWINNC

my wife was having a similar issue with my Ruger P95. I did some drills with her using a red gun and she realized what she was doing and was able to fix it.

If you can get your hands on a red gun have her hold it like she was about to fire. You then can safely try and bump the gun into moving from all different directions. My wife saw just how much she wasn't locking into position.

We then did the drill with the p95 after both of us were certain that it was unloaded.

After doing the drills my wife was able to correct the problem on her own.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I recently bought a 9mm Kel-Tec PF-9 and it weighs barely a pound with a full mag. I was not aware of 'limp wristing' and did have a fail to eject once while shooting one handed. I have learned to tighten up the muscles in my hands and arms before shooting.

Links