Shooting High on DA First Shot, Help!

This is a discussion on Shooting High on DA First Shot, Help! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I went shooting my new gun(HK USP .45) tonight and for the most part I shot well, but I struggled with the ...

Thread: Shooting High on DA First Shot, Help!

Question Shooting High on DA First Shot, Help!

My wife and I went shooting my new gun(HK USP .45) tonight and for the most part I shot well, but I struggled with the DA shot. It was always high. Most of the time it didn't even hit target. However, the following SA shots had an average of 3-4 inch groupings @25 feet.

What am I doing wrong? I even tried to make an extra effort to not pull up while depressing the trigger on the DA. I can't figure why my first shot is so bad. I even did it on some low recoil JHP's I fired.

So, should I carry cocked and locked till I can fix the problem?

Here is the last group fired, shots #7 and #8 I tried to do a double tap. Not good results with that.

Let me know what you think I should do.
    Attached Images
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well I know a lot knowledgeable people will give you advice. Let me give you the most important one though.

PRACTICE!

I think you just discovered one of the things that has made the Glock so overwhelmingly popular, and one of the things that has contributed to the 1911's longlasting popularity. Consistent trigger pull every time.

You may want to practice shooting in just DA until you can consistently hit the target where you want to. Shooting SA is a lot easier to pick up, because the trigger pull is so light and short. You may also consider picking up a DA revolver and practicing with it. That would force you to master the long/heavy trigger pull.

Also, seek a few profesional training lessons or consulting session. A good instructer should be able to evaluate you quickly and put you on the right track to training correctly.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Lead Moderator
    Try first to dryfire a bunch, this will help you to understand where the sights are going as you pull the trigger. The USP has a long DA pull and may take some work to get used to.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
    My wife and I went shooting my new gun(HK USP .45) tonight and for the most part I shot well, but I struggled with the DA shot. It was always high. Most of the time it didn't even hit target. However, the following SA shots had an average of 3-4 inch groupings @25 feet.

What am I doing wrong? I even tried to make an extra effort to not pull up while depressing the trigger on the DA. I can't figure why my first shot is so bad. I even did it on some low recoil JHP's I fired.

So, should I carry cocked and locked till I can fix the problem?

Here is the last group fired, shots #7 and #8 I tried to do a double tap. Not good results with that.

Let me know what you think I should do.
    I had a similar problem with my new double action stubby. The long trigger pull and tension is much different from the Glock. My stubby will only fire DA which helped me in the end, because I had to focus on DA control rather than get one DA and the rest SA like with your pistol.

The first day I could not hit the broadside of a barn but the next time I was hitting soda cans a 15 yards. I would recommend that you fire a bunch of rounds DA. Just de-cock between shots. This will get you used to the long hard pull. Each shot pull slowly and let the "fire point" be a surprise.

Finally grip is essential. I like to get both my thumbs facing forward with my weak hand thumb braced forward just under the slide. This makes a huge difference in my shot placement.

This video helped me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c

safe shooting!

It sounds like you're "pushing". Its a form of recoil anticipation. Dry fire and practice will help. The way you grip the gun makes a big difference.

Austin

this is where a laser and dryfire practice pays off.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Links