Another weapons free campus

This is a discussion on Another weapons free campus within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yet another sad commentary on the ineffectiveness of 'weapons free zones.' This just happened this morning. http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=7030614&nav=HMO6 A University of Arizona student is dead after ...

Thread: Another weapons free campus

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Another weapons free campus

Yet another sad commentary on the ineffectiveness of 'weapons free zones.' This just happened this morning.
    http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=7030614&nav=HMO6

A University of Arizona student is dead after campus police she stabbed her roommate and then took her own life.

University spokesman Johnny Cruz identifies the assailant as 18-year-old Mia Henderson. He says she was from the Navajo Nation, but no hometown was immediately available.

The name of the injured roommate wasn't immediately released.

UA police Sergeant Eugene Mejia says police were called to the Graham-Greenlee residence hall at 5:45 a.m. because of a fight involving injuries.

He says officers found the two victims and both were taken to University Medical Center, where one died. The other's injuries are described as not life-threatening.

The UA didn't issue a campus alert or institute a lockdown, but President Robert Shelton sent out a notification electronically.
    How could she stab someone if weapons are not allowed?
    Last edited by SelfDefense; September 5th, 2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added link

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Can we say ''kitchen knife"?

As we well know so many things are potential 'weapons'' - but usually it is the gun that is so heavily villified.

I am curious here as to how the perp managed to take her own life. I haven't read the whole report as yet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It was probably only a "gun free" zone, not a "knife free" zone. They didn't think about that I'm sure when they were trying to make everyone "feel" safe instead of actually doing something to make things safe.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    It was probably only a "gun free" zone, not a "knife free" zone. They didn't think about that I'm sure when they were trying to make everyone "feel" safe instead of actually doing something to make things safe.
    The posted signs are 'Weapons Free Zone." I haven't gotten a real close look but there are pictures of three things in red circles. I know one is a revolver; I'm not sure what the other two are. Unfortunately I cannot post a picture but I will get a close look tomorrow and post the verbiage.

I looked at the campus for concealed carry website and there was not an Arizona chapter. I remember a previous poster said he was going to the U of A. The students need to stand up.

The above story I posted is completely wrong. The local news just reported that Mia Henderson was the victim who was murdered. The assailant did not kill herself but she was wounded and is under arrest for first degree murder.

The university president provided the usual idiocy that he wants to have a crime free campus but sometimes these tragedies happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Yet another sad commentary on the ineffectiveness of 'weapons free zones.' This just happened this morning.
    http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=7030614&nav=HMO6

obviously, they did not remove her arms and lobotomize her after she paid her tuition...

I know of many gated communities that are 100% weapon-free (prisons) and yet have many, many stabbings.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The comment that "sometimes tragedies happen" is typical of the sheep mentality.

If you acknowledge that you could have done something about it, it requires that you take responsibility.

The concept that THEY are responsible for their own safety scares the hell out of the sheep.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of "grazing" going on at the top levels of education.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Sorry, just counting sheep. How many people are on that campus?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links