My job is making me work in IL for a project..Questions..

This is a discussion on My job is making me work in IL for a project..Questions.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been assigned two projects in IL. Both places are about 300 miles from my home in Indiana. I carry every day and now ...

Thread: My job is making me work in IL for a project..Questions..

My job is making me work in IL for a project..Questions..

I have been assigned two projects in IL. Both places are about 300 miles from my home in Indiana. I carry every day and now with these two projects I will be stuck with out my pistol.

Can I bring my Pistol with me, unloaded and locked in the Jeep while driving in IL and Loaded in the hotel room?

Or should I just forget about bringing it?

This really sucks.

I will be in Southwest IL for both.

2. Remove Ads

Please don't rely on my advice - it's just what I dug up (I travel there occasionally too). The closer to Chicago you get, the tougher the LE position seems to be about possessing firearms.

Still, here's what I relied on:

NON-RESIDENTS
    A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:
    Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.
    On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.
    At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.
    Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence.
    Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions

I found the information here:

http://nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=IL

Click on Illinois - the info. seems pretty current. Also remember that local ordinances may be stricter than state law - as I believe they are in Chicago proper.

As I consider a hotel an extension of my residence, I would also consider it legal to possess a handgun there - but that's only my opinion. Please don't rely on it as fact - do a little more research and make your own decision.

Seems I'm like you - I hate to go anywhere and not be able to carry, or at least have access to a handgun where I'm staying.

Assistant Administrator
    I had to travel to and stay just North of Chicago back in April and asked an IL cop about this.

As an out of state visitor I had no need of a FOID card and as long as my gun was locked in a case and secure I was seemingly good to go. In my hotel I kept it in the room safe.

Nothing was nicer however than the first stop after crossing the state line to re-arm and continue on my way home after.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links