California handgun purchase

This is a discussion on California handgun purchase within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a relative that lives in California, actually in a suburb of LA. He lives alone and doesn't have any gun at all to ...

Thread: California handgun purchase

VIP Member

California handgun purchase

I have a relative that lives in California, actually in a suburb of LA. He lives alone and doesn't have any gun at all to defend himself. I find myself always on a mission to get new people involved in shooting and promote 2A. I don't know very much about California gun laws, though I'm positive they are more complicated than my state. I've been doing some googling on the subject to help him overcome any hurdles out there. I suppose a trip to a California gun store (do they have gun stores?) would be informative for him about the laws. But I was hoping someone here could give me the "short answer", on the basic process of him buying a handgun in California, or if it's less burdensome, then him buying himself a long gun.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not really a 2A issue, so I moved to General Firearms where it should get more replies.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    There is a license, waiting period, 1 gun a month limit for handguns. Long guns less restricted.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

10 wait period for handguns

CA DOJ website

The CA Dept. of Justice runs all the CA gun laws, and they have a website with information covering all your questions:

CA DOJ website

In California, I purchased my first pistol there in 1993. Here's what I did. Had to pass a simple safety/basics test, at the gun shop, as I didn't have proof of having taken a hunter's safety course, had a hunting license, or had proof of any other recent gun course. Bought the gun, came back after the waiting period, then picked it up. Uncertain what is different now, but I don't suppose too much is.

As for being protected in your own home and on your own property: buy a gun, wait until the "waiting" period is over, then take it home. That's it. But if you want to transport it off the property, or go shooting somewhere, or carry it, there are a whole host of hurdles to comply with and be aware of. If you are going to transport it, store it in a locked case in the trunk, separate from any ammo, which for sanity's sake I would simply store in a second, identical locked case. Ran the idea by my local Sheriff and he said that'll do it. (Uncertain what the "minimum" requirement is, but I'd bet it's simply separate storage and that it's locked.)

As for carrying it, transporting it in the car, where you can have it loaded even though you don't have a CHL and other questions ... definitely check the Calif. DOJ link above. I strongly recommend acquiring a copy of John Machtinger's book: How To Own A Gun & Stay Out Of Jail: California Edition. It's a must-have for a newby pistol purchaser. While still written in wording closer to lawyer-ese than not, it covers the laws and helps make sense of them. Given all the potholes California energetically digs at the feet of prospective handgun owners, it might be worth first taking a course in his area that focuses on firearms laws/rights of Californians, as opposed to a basic safety type course. Check with the Sheriff for suggestions on any recommended folks in the area who do such training.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just moved from CA six months ago, and I purchased several guns while I lived there.

Currently, you have to pass a test to get a Handgun Safety Card that is good for 5 years. Any time you want to buy a handgun you have to present that card. The test was extremely easy, all common sense questions. Neither my wife nor I studied and we both got 50/50.

Currently there are many handguns that are not available in CA since all gun models to be sold have to be submitted for safety testing to CA DOJ. As of this year, all new submissions must include a magazine disconnect safety to pass inspection. As such, it would appear that a lot fewer guns will be added to the "Approved for Sale" list at the CA DOJ website. Luckily, any gun that's already passed does not need to requality as long as the manufacturer does what they need to do to make sure their qualification doesn't expire.

The last hurdle is the waiting period. CA law requires a 10 day waiting purchase on all firearm purchases.

So basically, he just needs to take the test at just about any gun shop, select the gun he wants, and then wait 10 days. After that he should be good to go. Make sure to pass onto your friend that if he's willing to move to Orange County or Kern County, a CCW permit will be relatively easy to get ahold of as well. :)
    Last edited by njeske; September 9th, 2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: grammar

I bought a gun there a few days ago - its just a 10 day waiting period. Nothing else. Not a big deal at all...

Austin

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the replies and helpful information. He'll be coming here for a visit during Thanksgiving and I intend to take him shooting and encourage him to buy a gun for himself when he gets back to California. If he has some concerns, I'll have some answers.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

There is a requirement that you have either a gun safe for a gun lock and if its the safe then they want the serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    There is a requirement that you have either a gun safe for a gun lock and if its the safe then they want the serial number.
    ah yes, forgot that part. another (crazy) CA requirement is proof that you can secure the firearm. if you have a gun safe, you need to provide the FFL with the make, model, and serial number of your safe. if you don't have a safe (or don't want to divulge your safe's info) then you must bring an unopened CA approved gun lock with a receipt showing it was purchased within the last 30 days with you when you pick up your gun after the 10 day waiting period.

Maybe its different by county, because the few times I have purchased guns in this piss poor state it has been in Orange County, and there was nothing to do with safe serial numbers or anything like that. Guns come with locks in my home state (WA) just like they do here. No big deal at all.

I can say this for a fact: If you're buying a gun in Orange County, all you need is proof of residence and money.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Maybe its different by county, because the few times I have purchased guns in this piss poor state it has been in Orange County, and there was nothing to do with safe serial numbers or anything like that. Guns come with locks in my home state (WA) just like they do here. No big deal at all.

I can say this for a fact: If you're buying a gun in Orange County, all you need is proof of residence and money.

Austin
    if the gun comes with a lock, then you don't need to worry about providing safe info or showing up with a lock on pickup day. i bought 2 used handguns in CA and both times had to provide one or the other. i believe there are still some new guns that don't come with locks. although CA law may require all new guns be sold with locks by now.

Links