Original 1911 WWII "I love this gun"

This is a discussion on Original 1911 WWII "I love this gun" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to my Pop's today to go shooting with him. He brought along his 1911 Colt WWII 1911. I have shot this gun since I ...

Thread: Original 1911 WWII "I love this gun"

Original 1911 WWII "I love this gun"

Went to my Pop's today to go shooting with him. He brought along his 1911 Colt WWII 1911. I have shot this gun since I was a child, and today I shot it for the first time in years.

I shot a 1" bull out with 8 shots at 15 yards standing. Actually several times. This gun shots like a dream using 6 o'clock.

After it was all over with he asked if I wanted to trade that $525 dollar gun (Springfield XD9) for his old 1911. I didn't even give him the pleasure of answering. I knew that not answering was the best answer he could have gotten.

I say original, but i think the bushings have been replaced.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    And people say the WWII vintage 1911s aren't accurate, my Ithaca shot just as well as my Springer

Assistant Administrator
    Well - it ain't WWII but my 50's Colt Systema shoots extraordinarily well - just really a basic 1911. (tho I did fit a "Chip" trigger - easily reversible tho).

Only downside is the silly front sight blade but to change that would ruin the originality. This as close to a Gov't A1 as makes not a lotta difference. Love the old stuff.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I hope you get it one day. My Pop left behind a 1911 Government model made in 1951 that I am concealing at this moment IWB as I just returned from a motorcycle ride with my wife. It is still my favorite gun. My brother fought me for it for months until he gave up. He shouldn't own a gun anyway.

Administrator
    Those WW2 1911's got a lot done with out being accurate.

How can one not love a original 1911? Its like not loving old glory, mustangs, baseball and fireworks on the 4th of July.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Rossman,

You know. I do too. I really hope that I get that weapon. It is actually the first high power handgun I ever shot. I was young, young, maybe 12 or 14 when he let me carry it in the woods, and basically let me say it was mine.

he has won money with me shooting that gun. i have a military family, and our rangers in the family said i could not hit baby food jars at 25+ steps when i was at this young age. they would make bets, and i would bust the jars. one after the other. i figured if i keep shooting good with this gun, maybe i will get it.
    Maybe i will...

(glass was shot at our trash pit. were my Pop lives we own a bunch of land, and it was a pit. we weren't just bustin' glass anywhere.)

nice firearm...

Senior Moderator
    Absolultey NOTHING wrong with the 1911's.

I like em so well that I have several myself.

Back many moons ago,when I was in the Navy, the acceptance criteria for any 1911 was 8 inches at 25 yards. If it couldnt do that, it was rebuilt. I remember lots and lots of them being in the 7 to almost 8 inch range and being put back in service. Some were so loose that you could shake em and it would take a few minutes to quit. In reality though, if you thought you'd be in a gunfight, you would use the rifle first. Using a pistol meant that you were in a world of hurt.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

For some reason I love the plain jane 1911's. I have a SA GI, which is my favorite range gun, and plenty accurate with the crap GI sights. I really really want an original WWII one, just something about them, but I can't seem to justify some of the prices I have seen when there are some many other guns I want. Guess I'll just stick with my Springer for now.

Links