I know I was asking for it...(more Jodie Foster)

This is a discussion on I know I was asking for it...(more Jodie Foster) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before I say anything else, I know I shouldn't be surprised and I knew it was coming, but it still irritates the heck out of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know I was asking for it...(more Jodie Foster)

I know I was asking for it...(more Jodie Foster)

Before I say anything else, I know I shouldn't be surprised and I knew it was coming, but it still irritates the heck out of me.

I was watching the Daily Show last night with John Stewart, and Jodie Foster came on the show promoting her new movie "The Brave One". The movie is about her getting a gun and looking for trouble after getting jumped and her fiance killed in New York City.

Anyway they talk quickly about shooting guns, and then she says something along the lines of "yea, having a gun on you definitely does something to you. It's a very powerful feeling. I don't feel that people should be allowed to walk around with guns. It gives you the feeling that, hey-I don't have to wait in this line, and I might pull it out then".

Anyone who would say something like that DEFINITELY doesn't need to be carrying a gun. But of course this plays into everyone's fears that are watching this at home. More anti propaganda.

You could make the same statement about a butter knife, so let's start banning them. Having a tool doesn't make you evil, it's the person who has decided to use violence as a means to threaten others that is the danger. It's the mindset.

That's it, I just needed to rant about it. It never ceases to amaze me how rational thinking doesn't play a part in society.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    She's an idiot for saying that. Does she really believe that people--ordinary freakin' people!--just tire of waiting on lines and simply pull out their legally carried handguns to skip to the front?

Talk about insulting the intelligence of her audience. It's absurd to think that we would believe that such a person would expect he would just get quicker service because he pulled out a gun. No one in his right mind would think he would stand to get anything but arrested (maybe even shot) if he pulled a stunt like that.

And here is Jodie "I-went-to-Yale, ooh-I-must-be-smart" Foster suggesting that the average gun owner would think he could do that with impunity.

Gee, Jodie, could you cite some cases, out of the MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WITH CONCEALED-CARRY LICENSES, who have done what you think would be so common of someone who carries a gun?

Of course not. Now how about just shutting up for a while.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    There are tons of concealed carry permit holders, and the ones who will actually pull their guns out over small conflicts are very far and few between. I've been directly told that I'm more likely to kill a family member or a friend than a complete stranger if I have a gun, and I've been told that I'm dangerous simply because I choose to carry a DEFENSIVE tool. People carry small folding knives, hunting knives, box cutters, and carpenters carry hammers. All these tools can very well be lethal. Yes, guns can be lethal at much greater distances, and thats why many people want them restricted even more, and even banned, but it still boils down to the INTENT of the person possessing the "weapon." Unfortunately many of the people who base their views on feelings rather than facts don't realize that.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    They also have an inherent distrust of their fellow man.

One wonders where they get it from.

One theory is that they expect of others what they know of themselves, because since they themselves feel these violent urges and this lack of self control, they imagine that it must be normal, and that everyone else feels that way, too.

VIP Member
    Not really a concealed carry issue. Amended the title for clarity.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

It's good that Jodie knows that about herself and won't carry......it's stupid that she believes that ALL people are inclined that way as well AND she's even dumber to voice it.

Her job is playing 'make-believe' and pretenting to be someone fictional in front of a camera......we tend to live in the real world.
    I carry and cutting into any line, armed or not, is not something I tend to do.

Silly 'lil Yale girl........bless her heart

sincker........smirk
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

She is just another person that recognizes a flaw in thyself, but in order to feel normal, she transfers that flaw onto all others. It's much easier to think everyone wants to pull out a weapon and just go to the head of the line then it is to realize there is a flaw in your own physic.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    then she says something along the lines of "yea, having a gun on you definitely does something to you. It's a very powerful feeling. I don't feel that people should be allowed to walk around with guns. It gives you the feeling that, hey-I don't have to wait in this line, and I might pull it out then".
    A clear sign of either her immaturity or her idiocy. Not sure which. Maybe both.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Jodie shouldn't carry if she is that emotionaly unstable
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I often wonder, when I hear comments like Jodie Foster's, exactly where they get that idea, that if they carried a gun for self-defense, they, or anyone else, would totally lose their moral compass? There's certainly no evidence of it. In many cases, the exact opposite occurs. The individual feels a heightened sense of responsibility, considering to an even greater extent the consequences of behaving in an emotional rather than rational manner.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    she says something along the lines of "yea, having a gun on you definitely does something to you. It's a very powerful feeling.
    How, in the name of all that is holy, does she know what it feels like to carry a REAL gun?

Just because she carried around a prop gun a couple of times on a movie set does NOT mean she knows what it feels like to carry a REAL gun, loaded, cocked and locked, out in the everyday world, doing everyday things.

Unless you are a cocky, inconsiderate, and dare I say, immature person, the experience is NOT emboldening, if anything, it's HUMBLING.

It's a feeling of, "My God, I have the power of a life on my hip. I am responsible for everything I do with or without my gun. I have the duty to do everything I can to keep me from having to use it."

And then you go about your ways AVOIDING confrontation at every cost.

I guess she never heard the saying, "An armed society is a polite society." Because it's very true.

When you are carrying around a prop gun on a movie set, playing the part of a vigilante, exerting your own justice, than sure, you might think everyone with a gun is out there to exert their own will. But if you are a regular, average, day-to-day person who picks up their guns and puts them on in the morning and walks out of their front door with no script, no prescription, no director telling them how their day is going to go and what is going to happen to them and just how they are going to respond, you have a little more clarity on your reason for carrying and a little more humility and responsibility to go along with that.

Administrator
    I won't even bother to defend us concerning that statement. She is an idiot and not worth the time of day.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    How, in the name of all that is holy, does she know what it feels like to carry a REAL gun?

Sorry Lima I was laughing so hard, it made it hard to read the rest of your post!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    But the thing to remember is that Jodie is used to being "Jodie Foster" and I bet she's kinda used to not waiting in too many lines and expects that kind of "empowered" feeling that sometimes comes with name dropping. I think she feels that carrying a gun would give others this feeling of power also.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ... the experience [of carrying a firearm] is NOT emboldening, if anything, it's HUMBLING.
    Right on the money. IMO, only criminals, future criminals and idiots believe otherwise. It's irrelevant which one Ms. Foster is. The extent of her stupidity would be merely pitiful, if she kept such thoughts to herself. Instead, she chooses to voice such opinions in terms of policy that should apply to the actions of others, as if the right to defend one's self and family is a meaningless consideration. I daresay that the death of a close family member might change her mind, as to the exact meaning of such rights. Then again, likely not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links