Oldest gun owned?

This is a discussion on Oldest gun owned? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't have any pictures of it but my Grandfather did leave me his old Fox 12 ga Side-by-side. I think it was made in 1908 ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Oldest gun owned?

Don't have any pictures of it but my Grandfather did leave me his old Fox 12 ga Side-by-side. I think it was made in 1908 so it is probably too old to be valuable but it still shoots great. It could use a good cleaning so the engraving would show up better.

2. Remove Ads

I've inherited a Dreyse .32 auto semi-automatic pistol made at about the time of WW1. The guy who gave it to me brought it back at the end of WW2. He was an infantryman over there in Belgium.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

a family heirloom. a rifle that was originally flintlock, converted to percussion cap around the civil war. ram rod is wood with a brass tip.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Well my oldest was handed down to me from my Grand father to my Dad and now to me, a Winchester Model 1890 .22WRF

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

It was a Savage North 36 cal 1858, real old.

CRH

Cool A Few Oldies for Your Consideration

Nothing here after 1864 ... Have Fun !
    Attached Images

CRH

Cool Oldies for Non-Colt Fans

A few Oldies other than Colts ... Enjoy !
    Attached Images

CRH

Cool How About some Old Carbines ... and Ammo

To Close ... a few Old Carbines ... and an Original, Unopened box of Carbine Ammo ... Enjoy !
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Just an interest thing ... I know several folks have some real old firearms, in fact IIRC Betty inherited one this year.

So - what is your oldest - not in type but actual manufacture?

I also have a Mauser Obendorfe bolt rifle in .22 which research suggests goes back to the 20's (wish I could find a spare mag for it!).

Several other guns go back to 50's and 60's but not early 1900's. I guess those of us with early milsurps can count those in too - but thinking more of non mil.

What have you got that's real old? Pic's are good. Here's my Webley and Mauser .....

I've got a pre war Mauser just like yours without the scope. My father brought one back from WWII and I traded it off when I was 18 for a S&W .357 I wouldn't give you $50 for. Many years later I looked for a long time to fine one like it. The only difference is my mag is a 5 shot and flush with the bottom of the rifle.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Some of my guns are youngsters compared to others posted here. I guess my oldest guns are my pre war Mauser 22 I think it's a Mod 420M, a nice original Remington 03A3, a Mod 61 Winchester .22, a Mod 42 Winchester 410, a M1 Garand (DCM), Browning Superposed 12 ga. and last and nicest a sporterized 1903 Springfield chambered in 30 Belted Newton that is very accurate.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

My father gave away 3, 1911A1s and a 1907 Luger after he came home from the war. He was worried my sisters would get hurt by them. My middle sister wouldn't leave them alone. He also sold a .44-40 Peacemaker for $20 in the late 1940s. He also traded off a pre 64 Winchester Featherweight for an accordian for me in 1965. I'd rather he gave it away then admit that.

Assistant Administrator
    I've got a pre war Mauser just like yours without the scope. My father brought one back from WWII and I traded it off when I was 18 for a S&W .357 I wouldn't give you $50 for. Many years later I looked for a long time to fine one like it. The only difference is my mag is a 5 shot and flush with the bottom of the rifle.
    Ridurall - amazing! You are the first person I have come across to have or have had one of those Obendorfes! I fitted the scope to mine and that was easy as there are integral std mounting grooves already there - I'f guess yours has those too if same gun.

My comment on this rifle is that it is a solid heavy piece which feels like it should be a larger cal! heck, the chamber area is about 1" diameter and could I am sure take pressures way above the lil .22lr! Lovely rifle to shoot - very tight grouping.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Your right Chris. The Mauser is built like a high powered rifle. It took me years to find one like my father shipped home from WWII. He fount in new in the box in a bombed out store in Germany. I ran into a CZ the other day at a gun show with a stock that is a bit more sportized then the Mauser and just couldn't resist getting it for my 6 year old son. In the picture the top one is the Mauser, bottom a new CZ 22LR. By the way if I remember correctly the Mauser my father sent back had a stock more like the CZ but the action was the same. At the time 20 years ago when I finally found a Mauser to replace the one I traded off this was as good as I could find.

Assistant Administrator
    Ridurall - ahh, nice to see your pic, thx.

Do try and fit a scope to the Mauser one day. Doesn't have to be a mega expensive one - it makes for an even better shooting rifle IMO. Many years ago during one summer, I had to help a farmer with rabbit control, not because of what they ate but (this was back in UK) - they were burrowing into his field hedgerows so much the banks were starting to collapse!

My ''tally'' was 134 - all taken with Mauser - usually nominal 50 yards and with sub sonic HP Winchester ''Hush Power'' ammo. No suppressor on that gun but the sound was less and they just fell over!! While the weight was a slight downside toting it around, the whole feel was better for having weight and size.

That CZ is a fine rifle - I have shot one and liked it a lot ...... lighter of course which is great for a kid to use - only thing I found was forend was a bit skinny.

Enjoy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris, I've got a very nice 3X Beeman high quality scope that fits the Mauser very nicely. One thing I noticed about other scopes is the bolt tends to hit them when I've got them set up for my eye length. I purchased the Beeman scope when I worked in a gun shop in Fayetteville NC in the 1980s and it cost more then most Leoupolds at the time. I've got it mounted on my Winchester 9422M and use it for skunks/cats and feral dogs around my house in the country. I've also got a Ruger 77/17 that is a fun bolt action for Prairie Dogs. Still pretty quiet and the last time my daughter used it she shot 6 dogs off 1 hole. I've got a Simons Aetec scope on it. It's the only cheap scope I've got. I just can't hardly bring myself to spend money on anything less then a good Burris or Leupold. I actually really enjoy shooting the 22s with those little vernier tang sites. At least I think that is what you call them.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links