Defensive Carry banner

Oldest gun owned?

12K views 118 replies 75 participants last post by  KenpoTex 
#1 ·
Just an interest thing ... I know several folks have some real old firearms, in fact IIRC Betty inherited one this year.

So - what is your oldest - not in type but actual manufacture?

I think my oldest is probably a Webley MkVI altho I have two crappy old revo's which must be pretty ancient - a "Young Americans" in .22 short and an Ivor Johnson in .32 S&W. I also have a Mauser Obendorfe bolt rifle in .22 which research suggests goes back to the 20's (wish I could find a spare mag for it!).

Several other guns go back to 50's and 60's but not early 1900's. I guess those of us with early milsurps can count those in too - but thinking more of non mil.

What have you got that's real old? Pic's are good. Here's my Webley and Mauser .....

See less See more
#2 ·
I need to call the springfield sometime and find out when a .22 bolt action springfield was made that my wife got from her dad. It belonged to her grandfather who was born in the late 1800's, but as of right now I don't know actually when it was made. I just know it is pretty old, and the oldest thing in the gun safe.

Attachments

#8 ·
View attachment 6181 I need to call the springfield sometime and find out when a .22 bolt action springfield was made that my wife got from her dad. It belonged to her grandfather who was born in the late 1800's, but as of right now I don't know actually when it was made. I just know it is pretty old, and the oldest thing in the gun safe.
The current Springfield Armory has no connection to the original Springfield Armory. You need to contact Springfield Research Service P.O. Box 126, Cabin John, MD 20818, or U. S. MARTIAL ARMS COLLECTOR; http://usmartialarmscollector.com/contact_us

#3 ·
Heirlooms are great - they carry not only gun history but a family connection - and even for some, nice nostalgia.

Keeping guns in family is IMO very desirable.

#6 ·
Older'n Me

Not a family heirloom to me, but I bought this at an under-attended auction in Cripple Creek, Colorado a few years ago. It's an 1888 Beaumont Vitalt, of Belgium manufacture (Delft cartouches).

Already obsolete in the day of "small bore" smokeless powder cartridges, the M1871-88 Beaumont-Vitali is substantially the M1871 Beaumont converted into a repeater via the Italian designed Vitali 4 round box magazine system. The conversions began in 1888, two years after the appearance of the M1886 French Lebel (the first of the smokeless powder infantry rifles) and were applied to all of the Regular Dutch army rifles, though the rifles in service in the dutch East Indies and for Home Guard were not all converted. The Vitali magazine system was first applied to converting the M1870 Italian Vetterli rifle in 1887 creating the M1870/87 Italian Vetterli-Vitali Holland and Italy, for the Beaumont and Vetterli rifles and carbines respectively, were the only conutries to adopt the Vitali magazine conversions. The magazine follower is pushed by a coil spring and, given the substantial bottle shape of both rifle's cartridges, gives the Vitali magazine its unique and distinctive shape.

The M1871-88 is the M1871 Beaumont rifle fitted with the Vitali magazine. See specifications for the M1871 Beaumont. Additionally, however, the bolt now incorporates an ejector as well as an extractor, and the receiver is fitted with gas escape vents in the event of a split case, much like the M1874 Gras

A unique feature of the Beaumont (Copied by the Japanese Murata Meiji 13 and carried forward in the Murata Meiji 18) is the striker spring housed in the bolt handle.

Attachments

#7 ·
Jealousy

Wow, OD! That's a gorgeous Colt, plus the letter from Colt! Neat deal!

Chris - You have so many, how do ya keep track of the ages? :rofl: Those are nice looking - an old Mauser and a Webley to boot.

Farronwolf - you really really ought to get that letter - it'll mean a lot to you, and future owners - makes 'em special to have some provenance and support for it documented too.......that's a great looking rifle too......

#10 ·
Wow, OD! That's a gorgeous Colt, plus the letter from Colt! Neat deal!

Chris - You have so many, how do ya keep track of the ages? :rofl: Those are nice looking - an old Mauser and a Webley to boot.

Farronwolf - you really really ought to get that letter - it'll mean a lot to you, and future owners - makes 'em special to have some provenance and support for it documented too.......that's a great looking rifle too......
Thank you Sir, that is quite an interesting rifle you have yourself.

#22 ·

Rocky:
The Lebel was the first smokeless powder infantry rifle. Quite a rifle! You might try researching it more here if you'd like: http://www.militaryrifles

George: Beautiful S&W and great pic!

Dakotaranger - nice looking Savage. Those were really neat guns - nice combo!

JD - Well, it is older than you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

#16 ·
Don't have a pic of it but my I inherited my Grandad's shotgun that he had purchased a couple of years before he died. I am told he was a pretty good shot with it and it was his favorite. My dad gave it to me when I was 12 and it was the first shotgun that I ever hunted with. Its a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge. It was produced in 1929.

#17 ·
Grandpa's Savage .22/.410 rifle

I have no idea how old it is

#18 ·
I think my oldest is a "Colt Navy .36 cal revolver", it was made around the 1860's. It's in good shape, I had it inspected by a gunsmith and he said it would actually be safe to shoot. Of course I have no plans on shooting it, but that's nice to know. I'm amazed at the workmanship from 150 years ago.

#27 ·
My oldest guns are a S&W .32 and Merwin & Hulbert .32, both made in the late 1800's. The S&W is on the left.

#28 ·
Haven't learned how to post photo's yet
Check out the "Forum Help & Extras" link in blue bar top of page - and then take a peek at the pic posting help page from there - might give you some ideas.

#30 ·
Thanks, been working on it. Finally figured it out, it seems the problem was with my storage site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.