Oldest gun owned?

This is a discussion on Oldest gun owned? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just an interest thing ... I know several folks have some real old firearms, in fact IIRC Betty inherited one this year. So - what ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldest gun owned?

Assistant Administrator

Oldest gun owned?

Just an interest thing ... I know several folks have some real old firearms, in fact IIRC Betty inherited one this year.

So - what is your oldest - not in type but actual manufacture?

I think my oldest is probably a Webley MkVI altho I have two crappy old revo's which must be pretty ancient - a "Young Americans" in .22 short and an Ivor Johnson in .32 S&W. I also have a Mauser Obendorfe bolt rifle in .22 which research suggests goes back to the 20's (wish I could find a spare mag for it!).

Several other guns go back to 50's and 60's but not early 1900's. I guess those of us with early milsurps can count those in too - but thinking more of non mil.

What have you got that's real old? Pic's are good. Here's my Webley and Mauser .....

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I need to call the springfield sometime and find out when a .22 bolt action springfield was made that my wife got from her dad. It belonged to her grandfather who was born in the late 1800's, but as of right now I don't know actually when it was made. I just know it is pretty old, and the oldest thing in the gun safe.
    Attached Images
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Heirlooms are great - they carry not only gun history but a family connection - and even for some, nice nostalgia.

Keeping guns in family is IMO very desirable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My oldest gun is an East German-made Makarov.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

OD*

Old Colt

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Wink Older'n Me

Not a family heirloom to me, but I bought this at an under-attended auction in Cripple Creek, Colorado a few years ago. It's an 1888 Beaumont Vitalt, of Belgium manufacture (Delft cartouches).

Already obsolete in the day of "small bore" smokeless powder cartridges, the M1871-88 Beaumont-Vitali is substantially the M1871 Beaumont converted into a repeater via the Italian designed Vitali 4 round box magazine system. The conversions began in 1888, two years after the appearance of the M1886 French Lebel (the first of the smokeless powder infantry rifles) and were applied to all of the Regular Dutch army rifles, though the rifles in service in the dutch East Indies and for Home Guard were not all converted. The Vitali magazine system was first applied to converting the M1870 Italian Vetterli rifle in 1887 creating the M1870/87 Italian Vetterli-Vitali Holland and Italy, for the Beaumont and Vetterli rifles and carbines respectively, were the only conutries to adopt the Vitali magazine conversions. The magazine follower is pushed by a coil spring and, given the substantial bottle shape of both rifle's cartridges, gives the Vitali magazine its unique and distinctive shape.

The M1871-88 is the M1871 Beaumont rifle fitted with the Vitali magazine. See specifications for the M1871 Beaumont. Additionally, however, the bolt now incorporates an ejector as well as an extractor, and the receiver is fitted with gas escape vents in the event of a split case, much like the M1874 Gras

A unique feature of the Beaumont (Copied by the Japanese Murata Meiji 13 and carried forward in the Murata Meiji 18) is the striker spring housed in the bolt handle.
    Attached Images

Wink Jealousy

Wow, OD! That's a gorgeous Colt, plus the letter from Colt! Neat deal!

Chris - You have so many, how do ya keep track of the ages? Those are nice looking - an old Mauser and a Webley to boot.

Farronwolf - you really really ought to get that letter - it'll mean a lot to you, and future owners - makes 'em special to have some provenance and support for it documented too.......that's a great looking rifle too......

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    22sp.jpgI need to call the springfield sometime and find out when a .22 bolt action springfield was made that my wife got from her dad. It belonged to her grandfather who was born in the late 1800's, but as of right now I don't know actually when it was made. I just know it is pretty old, and the oldest thing in the gun safe.
    The current Springfield Armory has no connection to the original Springfield Armory. You need to contact Springfield Research Service P.O. Box 126, Cabin John, MD 20818, or U. S. MARTIAL ARMS COLLECTOR; http://usmartialarmscollector.com/contact_us

~ Tiger McKee

The oldest gun I owned was a Pin Fire 12Ga shotgun from early 1800. I no longer have it. my oldest gun I have right now is a mdel 94 25-35 made in 1896.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Wow, OD! That's a gorgeous Colt, plus the letter from Colt! Neat deal!

Chris - You have so many, how do ya keep track of the ages? Those are nice looking - an old Mauser and a Webley to boot.

Farronwolf - you really really ought to get that letter - it'll mean a lot to you, and future owners - makes 'em special to have some provenance and support for it documented too.......that's a great looking rifle too......
    Thank you Sir, that is quite an interesting rifle you have yourself.

~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator
    I have a 6.5MM M96 Swede Mauser built in 1898.

It has excellent craftsmanship and can hold its own in the accuracy dept. with any modern rifle to this day. Its a beautiful rifle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    I did own a 1886 Lebel ,french bolt rifle. My grandfather brought it back from Europe after WW2.
    http://www.oldrifles.com/French.htm
    Here pic labeled 1886 lebel rifle in 8mm with feed tube. I think my bro or dad now has it. No idea how old it is.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    Well it's not as old as some of these listed, but it's the oldest I have.

1944 Ithaca 1911A1

VIP Member
    My oldest is not that old either. It is a Smith & Wesson Regulation Police .38 Special made in 1939.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

1898 springfield

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links