Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns [Glock]

This is a discussion on Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns [Glock] within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This maybe common knowledge, but it was news to me. The article indicates that chambering the same round multiple times can cause KaBoom! I did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns [Glock]

Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns [Glock]

This maybe common knowledge, but it was news to me. The article indicates that chambering the same round multiple times can cause KaBoom!

I did this just today when I was going to the range. I dropped the mag, cleared the round, and the boss called.
    No range for me today, so I put the round back in the mag, and re-chambered it.

I didn't know this was bad.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1792821/posts

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    This can happen with any self-loading pistol, not just Glocks.

Many variables are involved.

Repeated chambering of the same round can cause bullet set-back, or the bullet being pushed back into the cartridge case, thereby compressing the propellant charge & increasing chamber pressure when the round is fired.

It can occur with one chambering, or 5, or 10, depending on such things as slightly undersized bullet diameters, degree of case neck tension on the bullet, & how hard and at what angle the bullet nose strikes the feed ramp on its way into the chamber.

The rule of thumb I follow is to never chamber the same cartridge more than twice.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I try not to chamber more than 5 times. But I use standard pressure rounds in a gun that is rated to handle +p. I also don't usually let the slide slam the round in, but rather I ease it in, sowmwhat. I figure tose 2 things should give me some leeway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I wouldn't let it keep you up at night. Look at your ammo before you load--no problem.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Set back is Set back and has been talked about before a lot here.. The one reason you see 40 cal esp glock or see them talked about more kabooming is the 40 runs on the ragged edge for pressure and only a tiny amount of setback puts it over the edge..

Then you have the hogged out barrel of the glock 40s which loses the case support in a much needed area add that with set back and ya got a kaboom

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I learn something new on here every day.

Never would have guessed that it made a nickle's worth of difference how many times I chambered a round, unless it was very noticeably mashed or something.

Even then I wouldn't have thought "kaboom". I would have thought "wow...I can still get that in there...might not be a good idea to shoot it, though...".
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Is this really a plausible explanation ? or possibly their is no plausible deniability from Glock ?

Point being that Glock has had it's share of failures, unintended discharges, and now this type of catostophic failure..................but as usual the Glock camp denies any failure of the weaons design.

There are millions of shooters chambering the same round over and over and over in all varietys of handguns, yet we only hear of such things from Glock. Chamber dimensions ? Head space issues ? Nawwww, it's YOUR fault, we make the finest handgun in production on the entire planet.

It's interesting how Gaston alway's has an explantion for Glocks failings. Of course the explanation alway's rests on the shooters shoulders.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Remember Glock is perfection

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I can't believe I have never heard of this. I have chambered the same rounds many, many times over many, many years and have never had a problem. Of course, I don't ever use my Glock!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

The .357 Sig is more sensitive to "setback" concerns than straight-wall calibers because the seated bullet has less contact area. It's a "narrower" contact band because of the case's bottleneck design. I noticed a easily visable setback after 3 chamberings. And, since the .357 Sig operates at the upper edge of acceptable case pressures, I limit my chamberings to no more that 2. And this ISN'T a GLOCK pistol.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The .357 Sig is more sensitive to "setback" concerns than straight-wall calibers because the seated bullet has less contact area. It's a "narrower" contact band because of the case's bottleneck design. I noticed a easily visable setback after 3 chamberings. And, since the .357 Sig operates at the upper edge of acceptable case pressures, I limit my chamberings to no more that 2. And this ISN'T a GLOCK pistol.
    I agree the 357 sig will be worse its a pain to reload for .. reason you dont see it mentioned as much is there are more 40s out there than 357

Glock KB

Had a 35 go boom with a porly crimped reload. Lucky there were no injuries. I haven't seen a problem with good factory ammo, although I usuall replace rounds that get a little scratched or beat up. Cheap insurance.

What are you doing shooting reloads in a GLOCK? I don't have to tell you the factory's postion on that.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

aight let me chime in...............

few months ago i was deployed to a remote location where the base doesnt allow range shooting or any shooting of some sort including warning shots. only deadly fire. this base has been operational for years and i carry my issued M9 everyday chambered. my question is, since the location does not allow shooting, the issued cartridges must have been chambered multiple times. I have yet to hear KABOOM issues.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I learn something new on here every day.

Never would have guessed that it made a nickle's worth of difference how many times I chambered a round, unless it was very noticeably mashed or something.

Even then I wouldn't have thought "kaboom". I would have thought "wow...I can still get that in there...might not be a good idea to shoot it, though...".
    same here. the explanation makes sense. thanks for posting and educating me.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links