Is it worth buying a .22LR pistol for purely instructional purposes?

This is a discussion on Is it worth buying a .22LR pistol for purely instructional purposes? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I also recommend a Ruger or Browning. They are reasonable priced, reliable, accurate etc... Since you have a 1911 I would think that the Ruger ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth buying a .22LR pistol for purely instructional purposes?

I also recommend a Ruger or Browning. They are reasonable priced, reliable, accurate etc...

Since you have a 1911 I would think that the Ruger 22/45 would be the best choice - it has the same grip angle and controls as the 1911, which makes it easy (especially for a beginner) when switching between guns. You only have to explain it once....lots easier that way.

Austin

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'll second the 22/45 recommendation! I have two of them... I originally picked up one of the 22/45 Mark III's when I bought my first pistols, because they had discontinued the original 22/45s. Lo and behold, two years after the fact, I've moved to Indiana... and I found one of the original 22/45's in a shop, NIB, and it's identical to the first pistol I ever shot... bought it for sentimental reasons.

If you pick up a 22/45, and you want step by step photo instructions on how to take it apart and put it together, shoot me a PM, and I'll post them for you!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

For about $150, here is a fine .22LR/.22WMR SA revolver by Heritage.

For around $130, a nice little .22 autoloader from Phoenix.

Life is too short to be serious!

.22LR plunkin'...cheapest fun a guy can have!

I wish I had the space here in FL like I did in N. MI...used to shoot in my backyard, and I could shoot in any directions.

I've had several .22 pistols...need to get another...probably will be a Ruger!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    well, I threw caution to the wind, ignored all advice, and picked up a P22... Academy had lowered their prices under $300, and I couldn't resist.

I did do a little bit of research, and found that while the 1st gen guns and mags had feed issues, later guns (with L in the serial number and A on the mags) were much improved. They're still choosy about ammo, but by all accounts, they like Remington Golden Bullet, which I happen to have plenty of.

I looked at a Buckmark, Ruger Mk.II, and S&W 22A at another shop, and they were priced similarly to the Walther (despite the Mk.II and 22A being used and both showing rust in the action ). In the end, I chose the P22 because of its similarity to the function of my USP, ease of take-down, and its small size. The guy with the rusty guns did have a pretty nice looking polish AK-74, but that's gonna have to wait.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to post a range report.
    Attached Images

It's a fun gun and an excellent gun to start people out on. You might try a Browning Buckmark. You can usually find one for about $240 on sale. They are fun to shoot.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    It's a fun gun and an excellent gun to start people out on. You might try a Browning Buckmark. You can usually find one for about $240 on sale. They are fun to shoot.
    I liked the Buckmark I looked at today. If it weren't for needing an allen wrench to disassemble it, I might have chosen it instead.

I use a 22/45 Ruger mk 11. I use the copper clad 22 long rifle from Federal and never seem to have any jams. Ruger is a nice gun for a small price. You can't go wrong. Good luck at the range.

Glad to hear you picked up a p22, can hardly wait for updated range report...I had one the first models and sold it a few months later because of ftf /reliability issues: would be very interested to know how the newer ones function as I'd love to get another one!
    By the way, did you really think that ANYONE in this forum would advise you NOT to get another gun ?

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrichards View Post
    By the way, did you really think that ANYONE in this forum would advise you NOT to get another gun ?
    rofl! I might have already known the answer.

ditto what everyone else said. my wife and i both love our U22 Neos. it's cheap, accurate, shoots cheap ammo, and is great for introducing new people to shooting. just a couple weeks ago i took my mom out shooting for the first time in her life. she sorta freaked out with the 22, but had a good time. she really freaked when she tried shooting our XD9. :)

Range report:

First the gun. I was impressed with the P22. It performed flawlessly, with the exception of a couple of failures to feed that were due to the magazines. Eventually, I figured out that pulling the thumb stud down to the bottom and releasing it would "snap" the rounds into the right position, and we had no more trouble after that.

For only a 3.5in barrel, the gun is pretty accurate. After some practice, I was making consistant hits on some reactive plates at 25yds, which is plenty accurate for me.

Now, A little bit of background on this girl I took with me... She's from Massachussetts, and went to school in California (and we all know how both those states view gun-owners). She had never fired a gun before today, knew absolutely nothing about them, but she's also a pretty level-headed individual who is willing to learn.

So, before leaving, I explained the 4 rules, showed her where all the controls were on the guns, and taught her proper technique to rack the slide on the P22 and 1911, which she picked up quickly.

Once we got to the firing line, she was kinda nervous, but she did everything I told her to with stance and grip, and after the first couple of shots, was perfectly at ease.

She put about 50rds through the P22, while I burnt my carry ammo, and then she decided to try the USP. The first couple of rounds, the gun almost jumped out of her hands, but she tightened her grip, adjusted her stance, and kept at it. By the time she got to the 1911, she was hitting the 25yd. plates, and having a blast doing it.

After a few mags through each gun, we moved down to the other end of the line, which had a log with reactive "squirrels" perched on it at about 40yrds, and brought out the Remington 597. She had never shot a rifle either, and had no idea how to even hold one without a pistol grip. So, we started with the basics of stock bracing, cheek welding, how to support the fore-end, etc. Those squirrel targets never had a chance.

Unfortunately, we ran out of time before we could get to the 100yrd range, but I told her next time she can try out my AR.

(On a side note, there's a regular shooter there who likes to bring his NFA guns and let people play with them. Last time, he had 2 original 1928 Thompsons, and this time it was a full auto M16 with what looked to be an 11in upper on it. Holy crap, I want one!)

Anyway, on the way back, we ended up talking about concealed carry, what the requirements are to get a license, the difference between shall-issue and may-issue, why machine guns are so expensive, etc.

I'd say it was a productive range trip. And there may be more in the future.

Assistant Administrator
    First off Bob - glad the Walther behaved OK for you and her.

Beyond that - excellent result I'd say and you seemingly have a convert and budding enthusiast. This is good - every one we can bring ''into the fold'' is good news indeed.

Productive? I'll say - you can justifiably be well pleased
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I hope she continues to develop her interest in shooting
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Glad the Range trip when so well

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links