Fuel for the next AWB....

This is a discussion on Fuel for the next AWB.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can see it coming down the road now.....read on: Assault-Weapon Attacks on Rise in Miami Sep 14, 4:54 PM (ET) By MATT SEDENSKY MIAMI ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can see it coming down the road now.....read on:

Assault-Weapon Attacks on Rise in Miami

Sep 14, 4:54 PM (ET)

By MATT SEDENSKY

MIAMI (AP) - The spray of bullets that killed a police officer and hurt three others this week came from something increasingly common on this city's streets: a high-powered assault weapon, fast becoming the gun of choice for gang members and violent criminals.

And when the guns, once found solely in the hands of soldiers, are aimed at officers on patrol, there's little authorities can do to escape.

"It's almost like we have water pistols going up against these high-powered rifles," said John Rivera, president of the Dade County Police Benevolent Association. "Our weaponry and our bulletproof vests don't match up to any of those types of weapons."

Federal officials don't compile statistics on the number of crimes involving assault weapons like the AK-47, and municipalities' numbers across the country are patchwork. But in Miami, at least, there are signs it is becoming a major problem.

In 2005, the Miami-Dade Police Department reported two homicides involving an assault rifle; last year there were 10. That agency covers numerous unincorporated areas in the nation's eighth-largest county, but not its biggest cities, which have their own police forces.

The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons, up from the year before. This year, already 12 of the 60 homicides have involved the high-power guns.

"We've noticed an increase in the amount of assault weapons that we've seen on the street, and certainly the amount that have been used in murders and other shootings," said Detective Delrish Moss. "And it seems to be increasing every year."

Police do not yet know where the 25-year-old suspect in Thursday's shooting of the Miami-Dade officers got his weapon. Shawn Sherwin Labeet was found hours later and 30 miles from the crime scene. Police said they shot and killed him after he refused to drop his firearm.

On Friday, officers arrested four people accused of aiding Labeet. Alba Bello, 47; her son, Alain Gonzalez, 24; and Bello's boyfriend, Lazaro Guardiola, 35, were charged with accessory after the fact on suspicion of harboring the killer. Labeet's girlfriend, Renee Dangelo, 26, was charged with giving police false information.

The rising number of deaths by assault weapons reflects growing availability of the weapons and their elevation to a status symbol among gang members, said Carlos Baixauli, an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"In the early '80s to '90s, it was more common to have a handgun in your waistband and the bigger the caliber, the more powerful you were," Baixauli said. "Now it's escalated to the assault weapons."

Another issue potentially at play is the 2004 expiration of the federal assault weapons ban, 10 years after its passage. The legislation outlawed 19 types of guns, including the semiautomatic AK-47.

The guns are readily available on streets, Baixauli said, or can be ordered by mail for under $200.

Shootings involving assault weapons were among the reasons U.S. Attorney R. Alexander Acosta set up an anti-gang task force of federal, state and local law enforcement officials this year. He assigned 15 federal prosecutors, led by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Greenberg, to the effort.

"These bullets are very powerful: they go through walls, they go through cars, and if you just spray the general vicinity you're going to get innocent bystanders," Acosta said. "A shooting that might have been an injury previously is now a death."

Kevin Morison of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said his organization is considering tracking when assault weapons are involved in police shootings. Officer shootings had been on a downturn until this year.

More U.S. police officers were killed while on duty in the first six months of 2007 - 101 - than during any such period since 1978, according to the organization.

Rivera pleaded for leaders to allow police to carry higher-power weapons - though not necessarily as strong as some already on the street - and provide stronger protective vests.

"Give us a fighting chance," he said.

Police officials said they were bogged down with the aftermath of the shootings and unable to respond to Rivera's comments.

They did say they were trying to cope with the loss of Officer Jose Somohano.

The Miami-Dade department was helping to plan the funeral, and Officer Jody Wright was recovering from a gunshot wound to the right leg, said Cmdr. Linda O'Brien. The other two officers were treated and released.

"Anytime a fellow officer has been killed, it destroys us," O'Brien said. "It's almost got no words to it. Your blood just runs cold."
    The article can be found HERE
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'd like them to prove the contention that you can order an AK for under $200 because I've looked.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Has anyone noticed that when the antis start talking about banning a certain type of gun, all of a sudden there seems to be a rash of shootings involving the same type of guns? Coincidence or what? It seems all to convenient that when they need an incident to "prove" their "point" a shooting just pops up. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but with their near rabid attitudes it wouldn't surprise me. Or could it be that some "nutjob" who agrees with them is willing to do anything (I do mean anything) to help them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I'd like them to prove the contention that you can order an AK for under $200 because I've looked.

"We are Associated Press reporters, señor....you know...the defenders of truth..."

"If you are reporters, where's your facts?"

"Facts? FACTS?!? We don't have to show you no stinkin' FACTS!!!?!!
    Last edited by srfl; September 15th, 2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: ...not sure what a "senhor" was.... :-)
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Argh... I hate how these liberal columnists play on people’s emotion. The guy who wrote this is clearly an idiot. Everyone knows automatic weapons are near impossible to get, even on the black market. He uses words like spray and high powered. He sure as heck implies this weapon used was a "machine gun" and the average sheep who watches "channel 5 news" probably would think no different.

“Or can be ordered by mail for under $200.” Mail order? This guy is clearly a moron. I’ll be buying up semi-auto rifles before they try and pass the AWB garbage in congress

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post

"We are Associated Press reporters, señor....you know...the defenders of truth..."

"If you are reporters, where's your facts?"

"Facts? FACTS?!? We don't have to show you no stinkin' FACTS!!!?!!
    I'm sorry I forgot
    Last edited by srfl; September 15th, 2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: ...ditto

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hey, if anyone finds that mail order outfit where most of the 19 models that were banned can be had for under two hundred dollars, let me know! I will even buy you one as a finders fee.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Hey, if anyone finds that mail order outfit where most of the 19 models that were banned can be had for under two hundred dollars, let me know! I will even buy you one as a finders fee.
    If you run a search on yahoo shopping there's hundreds of them...of course they are airsoft

sadly, its only a matter of time before these morons get their way, but until then I'm saving every penning i can for more of those really scary black rifles.

VIP Member

New thread idea for anti-gunners boosting our 2A position

I didn't read the above article only scanned it to get the gist. However when these liberal anti-gun reporters write inaccurate, emotionally distorted stories why don't WE write the media company he works for and lay out the facts for them as in feedback. If a BG pulls a weapon on us, we should be willing to defend ourselves, so if a reporter pulls some lies/bias/distortions on us we should be willing to defend ourselves as well. Remember the "pen is mightier than the sword", so sometimes we need to pick up that pen. If no one complains back to them, then they just keep doing it. Our letters might not fully change their personal agenda but to allow them to continue and write BS will only make their BS get worse in the future.

The best feedback is a "Letter to the Editor" so even the public can read another version, secondly just a letter to the owner or editor. They do look at these and it does make a difference. My sister worked in the media for years.......I could go on and on here about the media, but I've got to stop.

We ought to have a special thread here called "Media Feedback" where we could post slanted/inaccurate news stories and post a copy of our letter we sent to that particular reporter. We could even post our rough drafts here before we send them out. Our thread could have stickies that have the email addresses of the media along with their anti-gun reporters. Lot's of us writing them back would bombard them with the facts they've conveniently overlooked. It would be a good learning experience for us, PLUS it is a simple and inexpensive way of us neutralizing anti gun's media position. Some may say it won't do any good, but to do nothing is essentially giving in. What is the saying about "good men standing back and doing nothing"?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    All the usual drivel... weapon of choice, spray of bullets, once only used by the military, everywhere "on the streets", blah blah blah.

Nobody points out that a semi-auto 30-06 deer rifle is a heck of a lot more powerful than an AK.

Nobody reminds us that the days when you really could mail order a machine gun (a REAL machine gun) are long gone.

No-one clarifies the definition of semi-auto only firearms that are only cosmetically similar to the weapons carried by our armed forces, and aren't capable of "spraying" bullets at all.

Or that police already have and carry REAL assault weapons, that ARE capable of fully automatic fire.

Or that rifles in general are not frequently chosen by criminals because they're hard to conceal and heavy.

I agree, writing in, especially in a letter to the editor, is a great idea. We can't let lies like this go un-challenged.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    If you run a search on yahoo shopping there's hundreds of them...of course they are airsoft
    I'll bet that's the extent of the reporter's research -- "Look, everyone! Mail order machine guns for $200!"

Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    "The guns can be ordered by mail for under $200.
    ...feel free to order from our friendly catalog dept...

Who, me?...I head up the 'complaint dept".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can get an SKS for slightly less than $200 but then they don't care about the differences. AK-47 sounds a lot more threatening than SKS.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    All the usual drivel... weapon of choice, spray of bullets, once only used by the military, everywhere "on the streets", blah blah blah.

Nobody points out that a semi-auto 30-06 deer rifle is a heck of a lot more powerful than an AK.
    Exactly I have an 8mm Mauser that could put a hole thru pretty much any body armor, more so then a wimpy 7.62x39 or .223. You didn’t hear anyone making a peep about the powerful 8mm. It's all emotion to the liberals. Just because it looks scary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links