New Walther P22

This is a discussion on New Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After reading the recent (and some not so recent) threads about the virtues of practicing with a .22 pistol I decided to head out to ...

Thread: New Walther P22

New Walther P22

After reading the recent (and some not so recent) threads about the virtues of practicing with a .22 pistol I decided to head out to see what I could find yesterday. I've been sort of 'considering' getting one for a while, but figured that I would go out and see what was readily available.

I've had my eye on the P22 for a while. It seems that folks either love it or hate it. I've seen several at my local range, and the owners all like them a lot. However in looking around on the net, I've found mixed reviews. Well I wound up in a shop here in Pensacola and found the P22 w/3.4" barrel for only $269 and I couldn't say no. So I found myself walking out with a shiny new P22 and 400 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag.

I took the new toy to the range today, along with my G23. While I did spend some time with the Glock, the Walther got most of my attention. I ran through all 400 CCI rounds, and 100 rounds of Federal Game-Shok without any hiccups whatsoever. The pistol seems to pull to the right a fair amount, but I forgot to bring a screwdriver with me, so I couldn't adjust the site. I also noticed that the standard grip was a bit small for my hand, but when I added the larger size backstrap things fit much better. All in all the accuracy was good, but it wasn't stellar. I'm chalking that up (for now) to the fact that I didn't have the proper tools with me to adjust the sights and to the fact that I'm a relatively new shooter. I'll be back in a few weeks and we'll see how things go after some proper sighting-in.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the P22. When I got home I stripped and cleaned it. The internals got surprisingly dirty, but cleaned up without too much fuss. I also spotted some wear on the bottom of the slide. I know that's to be expected in a new pistol, but a fellow P22 owner at the range warned me to keep an eye on it and suggested polishing a couple spots if it got worse. The ability to go through a lot of ammo for not so much $$$ was nice. I'm looking forward to doing lots of practice. Of course I'll still have to practice with the larger calibers too, but it looks like the .22 will be a welcome addition to my collection.

Brian

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Brian - any .22 is a good addition to the collection

I would not expect stellar accuracey from that gun but reliability is everything and if you have a later version then chances are it'll perform well.

Best thing is - we can for under $10 blow off over 500 rounds of grin-inducing fun with our .22's ..... and gain not only good handgun practice but - we don't break the bank!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mine too is fun!
    I've had fairly good results using cheap Remington Golden Bullets from Wally-World.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I just bought mine this weekend as well. It ate Remington Golden Bullet and Federal Bulk .22 without complaint, and functioned flawlessly.

Make sure your serial number starts with "L" and your mags have "-A" stamped into them on the side. Those are the latest and greatest revisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I just bought mine this weekend as well. It ate Remington Golden Bullet and Federal Bulk .22 without complaint, and functioned flawlessly.

Make sure your serial number starts with "L" and your mags have "-A" stamped into them on the side. Those are the latest and greatest revisions.
    Got both the "L" and the "A" so I should be in good shape.

Brian

Glad you like it...Add a suppressor to it and you can have even more fun...no extra ears required. It saved me a lot of fuss with a neighbor down the road calling in noise complaints every time I wanted to take a few shots on my property (backs up to NF property and I have a good backstop). So far I like my little p22(only had it since june...ish) and it has only choked on one subsonic round so it's been a good little pick for me.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Be aware it can shave lead during chambering, so if it starts to malfunction at the range after many rounds, field strip it and brush it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Be aware it can shave lead during chambering, so if it starts to malfunction at the range after many rounds, field strip it and brush it out.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind.

Brian

Hmm, I hadn't run into that with mine yet...thanks for the tip.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I believe that's only an issue shooting un-jacketed lead bullets. copper-jacketed .22's (still dirt cheap) shouldn't be an issue.

Links