Hi Point? - Page 2

Hi Point?

This is a discussion on Hi Point? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anything that is used as a weapon and worked did its job. But, you have to wonder. How often will the gun do its job? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: Hi Point?

  1. #16
    Member Array P991911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    72
    Anything that is used as a weapon and worked did its job. But, you have to wonder. How often will the gun do its job? Look you guys, instead of buying 5324982346 highpoints to prove a point of how uber-cool-awsome they are, just go buy yourself a glock.
    If you are impressed with a high point, then there is no word to describe the amount of glee you will have when you put a few mags through a glock.
    Last edited by JD; September 24th, 2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Removed language work-around


  2. #17
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They look like crap but they work.
    Saw a guy that had been shot with one.
    He was dead.
    The gun did its job.
    I saw nearly the same thing, except both the “victim” and the BG had High Points.
    The victim’s gun was found underneath his body, it took some doing to clear it for storage. It was jammed up good.
    When the BG was caught a few minutes later, he still had the murder weapon on him. It appeared to be in working order, until it was time to test fire. You guessed it, it jammed after the first shot.
    So roll the dice with these guns if you want to. I prefer not to gamble with such things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Augusta,Maine
    Posts
    1,555
    I hear they are real popular with criminals because of price.
    A modern day Saturday Night Special ?

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array Roadrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I hear they are real popular with criminals because of price.
    A modern day Saturday Night Special ?
    Unfortunately so. I used to work behind a gun counter and almost everyone who seriously considered getting a High Point was not an upstanding citizen IMO. I once refused to go through with a sale because I was sure the guy was a straw purchaser since he gave me an out of state phone number and the whole thing just overall didn't feel right. Another employee rang him out instead. A month later ATF wanted the records for that sale. Guess I was right.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

  5. #20
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I hear they are real popular with criminals because of price.
    A modern day Saturday Night Special ?
    yup. No question about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  6. #21
    Member Array MSGTTBAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    PENSACOLA, FL
    Posts
    206

    Roadrunner< You Are Way Off Base

    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Unfortunately so. I used to work behind a gun counter and almost everyone who seriously considered getting a High Point was not an upstanding citizen IMO. I once refused to go through with a sale because I was sure the guy was a straw purchaser since he gave me an out of state phone number and the whole thing just overall didn't feel right. Another employee rang him out instead. A month later ATF wanted the records for that sale. Guess I was right.
    I SEriously resent your implication that the buyer of specific firearms are NOT upstanding citizens. You are wrong in your generalization and should rethink your attitude toward others who obviously do not have your means to purchase a gun of your choice. Anecdotal stories notwithstanding, The vast majority of HiPoint purchasers are fine upstanding people. I even know a few preachers who own them. If this product doesn't fit your needs, then don't buy it. For many of us, they are a great US made product that perform as advertised and have a lifetime guarantee. That is the guns lifetime not the owner. Btw, HP is well into their 3 decade of production and compete each year for the most handguns produced. Somebody out there likes them.

    I will repeat what has been said here before: Flamers generally have NO 1st hand knowledge and Most owners love them.
    Last edited by JD; September 24th, 2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Removed mild personal attack.
    Life is too short to be serious!

  7. #22
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,237
    Just a friendly reminder of the Forum Rules

    Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You can disagree with other members, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the person advancing the argument. Conflicts between members should be resolved off the forum.
    Key words in bold, there's been a rash of personal attacks going on in the forum lately and that just doesn't fly here, please keep it civil

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array Roadrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    737
    I said most of the buyers, not all of them. I sold at least one that I can remember to a gentleman who was in exactly the situation you describe; he needed a gun and didn't have much money, the Hi-Point fit his needs. He was a little rough around the edges but was polite and seemed legit. However, most of the people who came in looking at them had their pants halfway to their knees, were loud and rude and, well, basically weren't upstanding citizens, to put it mildly. One guy who came in and bought nothing but Hi-Points and Bersas was later being investigated by the ATF, for, you guessed it, straw purchasing.

    I understand very well that just because someone buys a Hi-Point or other cheap pistol that they're not guilty of anything more sinister than bad taste in firearms. HOWEVER, when someone comes in and is loud, rude, obnoxious, and dresses and talks like a gangbanger then looks only at the cheapest guns in the case, well, sorry, I tend to conclude that they don't have good intentions. It's not the weapon's fault, it's the person's fault for misusing it. The fact remains that that type of person prefers cheap guns. That's not a knock on the gun, just on the person.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,788
    This table is about 10 years old, but may shed some factual insight to what guns have been used for crime in the past. Highpoint is in there, but way at the bottom. Below many guns that are much more expensive. Here is a link if you care to read the entire 18 page report for the facts from that period.

    http://www.ustreas.gov/press/release...rts/report.pdf

    I have never shot a highpoint, held some didn't like them, and put them back, so I am not going to comment on whether they are good or not. I have also place Glocks back on the counter, simply because I don't like plastic guns, doesn't mean they aren't any good.

    Based on trace requests submitted August 1, 1997 to July 31, 1998 from 27 cities
    participating in the Youth Crime Gun Interdiction Initiative*
    27 Cities
    Number of Kinds Number of Percent of
    Type of Crime Gun Manufacturer Caliber of Crime Guns Crime Guns Crime Guns
    Semiautomatic Pistol Lorcin .380 214 4.4
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .38 189 3.9
    Semiautomatic Pistol Raven .25 164 3.4
    Semiautomatic Pistol Davis .380 141 2.9
    Semiautomatic Pistol Ruger 9mm 135 2.8
    Semiautomatic Pistol Bryco .380 103 2.1
    Semiautomatic Pistol Bryco 9mm 91 1.9
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .357 87 1.8
    Semiautomatic Pistol Smith & Wesson 9mm 83 1.7
    Shotgun Mossberg 12GA 82 1.7
    Summary for top weapons: 10 1,289 26.4
    All other weapons: 538 3,599 73.6
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Number of Kinds Number of Percent of
    Type of Crime Gun Manufacturer Caliber of Crime Guns Crime Guns Crime Guns
    Semiautomatic Pistol Lorcin .380 23 5.8
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .357 14 3.5
    Semiautomatic Pistol Davis .380 13 3.3
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .38 13 3.3
    Semiautomatic Pistol Bryco .380 12 3.0
    Revolver Rossi .38 11 2.8
    Revolver RG Industries .22 10 2.5
    Semiautomatic Pistol Ruger 9mm 10 2.5
    Semiautomatic Pistol Raven .25 10 2.5
    Semiautomatic Pistol Smith & Wesson .38 9 2.3
    Summary for top weapons: 10 125 31.3
    All other weapons: 143 275 68.8
    Department of Justice Department of the Treasury
    June 1999 15
    San Antonio, Texas
    Number of Kinds Number of Percent of
    Type of Crime Gun Manufacturer Caliber of Crime Guns Crime Guns Crime Guns
    Rifle Norinco 7.62mm 9 4.7
    Semiautomatic Pistol Lorcin .380 9 4.7
    Semiautomatic Pistol Raven .25 9 4.7
    Semiautomatic Pistol Bryco .9mm 8 4.2
    Shotgun Mossberg 12GA 7 3.7
    Semiautomatic Pistol Ruger 9mm 7 3.7
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .38 5 2.6
    Rifle Marlin .22 4 2.1
    Semiautomatic Pistol Glock 9mm 4 2.1
    Revolver Colt .357 4 2.1
    Summary for top weapons: 10 66 34.7
    All other weapons: 93 124 65.3
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Number of Kinds Number of Percent of
    Type of Crime Gun Manufacturer Caliber of Crime Guns Crime Guns Crime Guns
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .38 20 8.2
    Rifle Norinco 7.62 7 2.9
    Shotgun Mossberg 12GA 7 2.9
    Semiautomatic Pistol Davis .380 6 2.4
    Rifle Winchester .22 6 2.4
    Rifle Marlin .22 6 2.4
    Semiautomatic Pistol Lorcin .380 6 2.4
    Semiautomatic Pistol Ravin .25 6 2.4
    Revolver Rohm .22 4 1.6
    Revolver Rossi .38 4 1.6
    Summary for top weapons: 10 72 29.4
    All other weapons: 116 173 70.6
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Number of Kinds Number of Percent of
    Type of Crime Gun Manufacturer Caliber of Crime Guns Crime Guns Crime Guns
    Semiautomatic Pistol Bryco 9mm 21 4.1
    Revolver Smith & Wesson .38 20 3.9
    Semiautomatic Pistol Ruger 9mm 18 3.5
    Semiautomatic Pistol Lorcin .380 18 3.5
    Semiautomatic Pistol Bryco .380 13 2.6
    Semiautomatic Pistol Raven .25 13 2.6
    Semiautomatic Pistol Glock 9mm 11 2.2
    Semiautomatic Pistol Smith & Wesson .40 10 2.0
    Semiautomatic Pistol Davis .380 9 1.8
    Revolver Harrington & Richardson .32 9 1.8
    Summary for top weapons: 10 142 28.0
    All other weapons: 170 366 72.0
    Department of the Treasury Department of Justice
    16 June 1999
    Tucson, Arizona
    Number of Kinds Number of Percent of
    Type of Crime Gun Manufacturer Caliber of Crime Guns Crime Guns Crime Guns
    Semiautomatic Piston Ruger 9mm 10 5.0
    Semiautomatic Piston Lorcin .380 8 4.0
    Shotgun Mossberg 12GA 8 4.0
    Semiautomatic Piston Norino 9mm 7 3.5
    Semiautomatic Piston Bryco 9mm 7 3.5
    Semiautomatic Piston Smith & Wesson 9mm 7 3.5
    Rifle Norinco 7.62 6 3.0
    Semiautomatic Piston Glock 9mm 6 3.0
    Semiautomatic Piston Hi-Point 9mm 6 3.0
    Semiautomatic Piston Lorcin .25 5 2.5
    Summary for top weapons: 10 70 34.8
    All other weapons: 80 131 65.2
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  10. #25
    Ex Member Array Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    110

    Thumbs down Hi Point disposables

    Ok, made it to almost 500 rounds over the weekend with this Hi Point .45 and did find that a good cleaning after every 25 rounds (basically a few blasts of breakfree CLP) helped the jamming issues.

    I got to 480-490 rounds when I pulled the trigger and heard a crick. Yes I typed crick, it wasn't a click or a clack. I released the mag and opened the slide to find my round that didn't fire but a piece of the firing pin and what appeared to be the roll pin or retaining pin for the sear in my palm! The feed ramp looked like I had been using coarse steel wool wrapped rounds as well. It was scratched as if it were pot metal.

    I'm not sure if it was heat related (doubtful considering the continual jams and cleanings) a lemon or just a POS.

    Regardless, I boxed it back up with all the parts and have it ready for a claim. If repaired I will sell it to the pawn shop, if replaced I will sell it to the pawn shop, if they send me a sampling of their full product line for my trouble I will sell it to the pawn shop! If they make me pay for shipping I will sell it to the pawn shop! (At least it cant hurt anyone and it goes 'crick' when you pull the trigger!)

    I had intended to create a separate thread for this test but it only made it out to fire three times over a 10 day period. LAME!

    Obviously a great buy for the price conscious but if you are concerned with reliability and functionality I would say stay away from the Hi Points. Even with their lifetime warranty they clearly state in their manual it's their discretion as to whether or not they cover your claim.

    I wouldn't profile anyone who buys a Hi Point but I am sure it appeals to many criminals. Low cost, large caliber and will probably get through the first few robberies. I am sure there are others that buy simply because it fits their budget as well. I say to the good guys who are on a tight budget, keep saving! At very least find a closely priced revolver by Taurus, S & W, anything but the Hi Point. Sure it shoots, but is it going to when you need it to?

    Don't even get me started on the sites. If you own one, two words, lock tight! Use it on the threads of the rear adjustable after you zero it with a bench vice!

    And this concludes my broadcast day.
    Last edited by Savage; September 24th, 2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: text edit ,removed profanity, the word "dang"

  11. #26
    Member Array cherokeetad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    33
    I bought the HP JHP45 model pistol just because it was so cheap and I thought I'd give it a try. So far it has been 100% reliable, after 250 rounds and hopefully it will stay that way. It is a big heavy gun and I wouldn't use one for CCW but for general plinking or a truck gun it ain't that bad. It's actually quite accurate one you get the sights adjusted. As far as Savage and his "gun test", one bad gun doesn't make them all bad. If thats the case then I'd never have bought another Colt 1911, as the first one I had never got thru it's first mag, a super jamo-matic with any/all mags and any/all ammo. According to the FBI there is no specific "saturday night special" gun. Guns used by criminals are bought on the street (not gunstores, that pesky Fm 4473 they have to fill out) and they take what they can get from stolen high $ Kimbers to low $ Lorcins....it's whats for sale on the street for that given day (like in the movie "The Brave One").
    For $200 there are better CCW options out there like Makarovs and CZ82s. Increase the amount to $300 and there are many choices that would be better for CCW.

  12. #27
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    I've been thinking about this thread, and how my point can be made as simple as possible. Here it is...

    Lets say you know that you are going to get into a gun fight tonight. You dont have a gun of your own. Me being the nice guy that I am, I offer you several pistols to chose from. It doesnt really matter what, but the normal reputable makers are there. Glock, Sig, Springfield, S&W... whatever. Then there is a lone Hi Point.

    Be honest with yourself, what is your last choice to take with you?
    "Just blame Sixto"

  13. #28
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,969
    I used to own the Hi-Point .40 and 9mm Compact handguns. The .40 was huge, and bulky, but it never malfunctioned. I ran exactly 100 rounds through it before trading it in for the C9. The 9mm was smaller, but still the same size as an XD Service model, and still heavy, but it shot quite well. A little adjustment to the rear sight,and I was drilling out the bullseye at 10 yards with it. They're ok if you're looking for a cheap plinker or something to keep in your vehicle. I don't think I'll ever buy another Hi-Point other than the 9mm carbine.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

    I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

  14. #29
    Member Array cherokeetad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've been thinking about this thread, and how my point can be made as simple as possible. Here it is...

    Lets say you know that you are going to get into a gun fight tonight. You dont have a gun of your own. Me being the nice guy that I am, I offer you several pistols to chose from. It doesnt really matter what, but the normal reputable makers are there. Glock, Sig, Springfield, S&W... whatever. Then there is a lone Hi Point.

    Be honest with yourself, what is your last choice to take with you?
    Put Ruger or Taurus in place of Hi-point, which would be your last choice? Actually, I'd pick the cheapest but still reliable gun, as the Police will take it after the gunfight. I'd hate to lose a nice Sig, SW, etc.

  15. #30
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Taurus would be my last choice. Who cares if I lose a Sig. I'm alive.
    I didn’t buy it for sentimental reasons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Any HI POINT 9mm Out there ???
    By MICHAEL BROZ in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: June 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
  2. 38spl Soft Point Vs Hollow point
    By dbraves8 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM
  3. Hi point
    By buckeye64910 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: December 5th, 2008, 06:41 AM
  4. At What Point Do You...
    By firefighter4884 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 10th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Search tags for this page

+rohm high noon rg industries
,
hi point 9mm wont pick up shell
,
hi point c9 retaining pin upgrade
,
hi point c9 threaded slide retainer pin
,
hi point forum
,
hi point replacment retaining pin
,
hi point slide retainer pin
,
hi point slide retainer pin upgrade smiththing solutions
,
hi-point slide pin upgrade
,
retaning pin hi point .45
,

smithing solutions hi point slide retainer

,
smithing solutions hi point slide retainer e bay
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors