Hi Point? - Page 3

Hi Point?

This is a discussion on Hi Point? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My last choice would be a 1911. I have seen so many stovepipe or fails to feed in hi-falutin 1911s that I am just not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi Point?

VIP Member
    My last choice would be a 1911. I have seen so many stovepipe or fails to feed in hi-falutin 1911s that I am just not confortable with them as personal protection guns. During & After Hurricane Wilma, my Taurus PT92 was on my hip while keeping an eye on my house & neighborhood.
    I have no experiences with SIGs so I can't comment.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    My point wasnt to bash other lower cost guns, there are some good ones out there, no doubt about it. My point was no matter what ever popular make/model you want tossd in the mix there are certain ones that always are chosen last.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sixto, I know you werent confrontational, Don't worry.
    I think we should choose the gun that we know personally to be reliable and that means we shot over and over with all types of ammo and has given us very little or no trouble.

I am parraphrasing from The Ghost and The Darkness: You went to war with an untested weapon?"
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Administrator
    No doubt, always test your guns... but if you had to choose blindly, and I put a Glock, Sig, XD, MP and a hi point on a table. All are straight from the factory. You have to chose one to go to the fight with. Whats your last choice?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I held a .380ACP Hi-point today,and the .40S&W carbine, man if I could have afforded it,and legally(30 days ftl, no CHP yet.) I would have came home with both of those along with my shiny new XD40SC

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No doubt, always test your guns... but if you had to choose blindly, and I put a Glock, Sig, XD, MP and a hi point on a table. All are straight from the factory. You have to chose one to go to the fight with. Whats your last choice?

I am guessing that you mean you have a gunfight in 5 minutes or less and pick one? I'd have to go with Glock since I have shot one before and shot none of the others.

Now let's go like I never shot any and go by reputation alone. I am still going for Glock with a SIG a very close second for what reliable people have commented about them and yes, no doubt the hi-point last. Would I be confortable? nope but it had to be done.

Damn it, now I have to start begging to my fellow club members so I can shoot Sigs, XDs and MPs.
    Randy Cain.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I am guessing that you mean you have a gunfight in 5 minutes or less and pick one? I'd have to go with Glock since I have shot one before and shot none of the others.

Now let's go like I never shot any and go by reputation alone. I am still going for Glock with a SIG a very close second for what reliable people have commented about them and yes, no doubt the hi-point last. Would I be confortable? nope but it had to be done.

Damn it, now I have to start begging to my fellow club members so I can shoot Sigs, XDs and MPs.
    Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm saying, but it doesnt matter what other kinds of guns you want to use as an example. Just some decent well known pistols and then a Hi Point. Anyone who answers honestly wont pick up a Hi Point to head off to war with.
    That is what we are doing every time we buy a defensive pistol. I wont tell anyone that a pistol is a decent pistol when I know there is no way I would carry it on the street or off to war. I've seen far to many failures on the range, the street doesnt allow time outs and re-do's.
    I'm not anti low cost gun at all. One of my favorite pistols is a Ruger P89. It isnt exactly a high speed low drag type of gun, but I'd take into battle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry if I came off a little testy in my last post. It's just that I've seen this divisive attitude in other places for different subjects. We, as responsible gun owners had better get our act together and remember just who the enemy really is, and unlike Pogo's observation, He ain't us. I own Rugers, CZs, H&Rs, Bersas, HiPoints, a Phoenix, Franchis, Remingtons, 1 Daisy Red Ryder, and even a Raven .25. My point being that there are many reasons I own what I own and all of you own what you have and they are all correct. What we as a group must do is not single out any persons choice and be disrespectful of that choice. There are already way too many entities out there that want to take away all of our choices, regardless of what the 2nd Amendment says. Here is an example:
    http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindeale...s_popular.html
    Just substitute your favorite model for HP in this rant and think about this, When the powers that be do get rid of these POS guns.......Which one is next on their list?
    Life is too short to be serious!

Hi-Point 1911

How about one of these. (Joke)
    Hi-point1911.jpg
    Bob

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    This table is about 10 years old, but may shed some factual insight to what guns have been used for crime in the past. Highpoint is in there, but way at the bottom. Below many guns that are much more expensive.
    Not sure which way you were going, farron, but what the table tells me is:
    1) in dense urban areas, "pocket guns" are generally favored (.380/.22/.38/.357).
    2) in all instances (save San Antonio), primary concern in weapon selection-for the weapons reported- is concealibility.
    3) disposability/low investment is another prime criteria.

Sooo..., while it is cheap, the HiPoints are hard to carry/conceal. To determine the role of caliber in the crimes, you would have to see the report, and determine motivation in relation to environment. IOW, did they want the target DRT? Was the perp investing in "surety" for an intended target, or was the gun as much for threat as for possible use? Etc., etc..

FWIW, I know of 3 shootings in which a cheap (malfunctioning) gun resulted in the target living. YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonut View Post
    There is a High Point forum that has a lot of good information about the handguns and the carbines.

I have one of their $215.00 9mm carbines and like it a bunch . I often carry it in my car with me as a second or third.
    If you ask the majority of Hi Point owners , I think they would say that the guns are not the problem ( especially with the great warrenty). The problem is putting up with the constant ration of crap you get from the general gun public...
    I have to agree with the above post. While I don't personally own one, I have shot several HP's at the range over the past few years and know a couple of people who own one. Though heavy, ugly and about as "basic" a pistol as you'll find, the ones I've shot (and the one's my friends own according them) are reliable, reasonably accurate (3" groups at 10 yrds with the guns I've shot) and as affordable as a pistol can get.

Here's a survival story that may explain their thoughts on the HP pistol. My nephew is in the LA National Guard and lives in New Orleans. During the Katrina flood, his truck was in water to the roof top for over a week and he wasn't able to get to it for several more weeks after the water was gone. He had a Hi Point 9mm in his glove compartment and it was completely soaked by the water, then allowed to "bake" in his truck for several weeks before my nephew could retrieve it. After he cleaned it, lubed it and had a gunsmith friend check it out, he fired 200 rounds without a problem and hit what he aimed at. He still has it as his truck/survival pistol. I've seen this gun personally and it looks the same as it did the day he took it out of the box. You'd never know it spent 10 days under water then weeks more in a damp glove compartment in 90+ degree heat.

His (and my friends) experience may be the exception, however they all say the HP guns are butt ugly and heavy as rocks, but like Timex watches, they can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Or, as my nephew said, try this (the flood/water treatment and bake) with your $1,500 Kimber and see how it turns out!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeetad View Post
    As far as Savage and his "gun test", one bad gun doesn't make them all bad. If thats the case then I'd never have bought another Colt 1911, as the first one I had never got thru it's first mag, a super jamo-matic with any/all mags and any/all ammo. .
    I was with Savage on this test. It was requested and the HP was ordered directly from the factory. I agree with you that one bad gun doesn't make them all bad. I have had issues with $3000 handguns in the first time out as well.
    I fired probably 200 of the rounds that went through the new HP .45 he tested. The sites were not reliable as they moved with each shot. We used clear nail polish to hold them in place which melted away before the complete failure. I just haven't heard enough good things to want to invest in a HP. The entire purpose of the test was for reliability, accuracy and comfort. It made it through maybe four mags only with no problems and this was after a good cleaning between rounds.
    He sent it back to HP/MKS in OH last week for repair/replacement. Their customer service were readily available and only required the serial # since it was a direct order and had been registered. They were kind and fast to issue an RA.
    If anyone is interested in a new HP .45 when he gets his replacement let me know and it's your's for $150 + shipping. He can't post here but I will for him.
    Last edited by JD; September 27th, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Edited by JD 9-27-07 3:40pm

I have one and don't need another..thank you very much. Mine only has about 250-300 rounds thru it but so far it is working fine and the sights haven't moved. They aren't for everyone but I don't think they are as bad as some say. I also have many other pistols to play with so I'll probably shoot mine for awhile and move on to something else, as I got it just to see if they were as bad as folks say. Just to show you what a glutton for punishment I am, I also have a Llama Minimax and a Kel Tec. Both work just fine but the Llama took alot of effort to get it to run right. I'm retired so I need something to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links