Hi Point?

Hi Point?

This is a discussion on Hi Point? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may sound dumb??? Is there any thing wrong with the Hi Point .380 or 9mm models out there??? I've had cheap guns in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point?

Hi Point?

This may sound dumb??? Is there any thing wrong with the Hi Point .380 or 9mm models out there??? I've had cheap guns in the past, (Talon T 200S) and the slide exploded and smashed my brother's face up. That's why I'm nervous about lower priced guns?!?!? So ... can a Hi Point be trusted?

Assistant Administrator
    This is an old and contravertial subject - do a search and you may find some old threads. Old in fact to point of ''yawn'' if truth be known!

To any folks posting - let's be easy on this one .... we have had Hi-Point flames before

Bottom line - folks who have bought a Hi-Point have seemingly had OK results but ....... not necessarily guaranteed every time!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have a hi-point 9mm carbine. The fit and finish is pretty bad and it's very picky about ammo but I wouldn't expect it to kaboom on me.

Although I've never shot one of their handguns I would NEVER carry one but if it's for the range only then it's a matter of if you can save a little longer to get something better or not.

ohh Make it stop ..

Is your life worth more than 200$ if so at least buy a XD or glock they run high 400 low 500$ range . Dont try your luck with those pieces of crap .. But hey its your hands not mine

Administrator
    I sure would opt a used second hand Beretta over a brand new Hi-Point any day.
    You would be better off buying any higher quality used but, not abused handgun over a new Hi-point.
    Used quality trumps brand new junk.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have both the 380 and 9mm pistols and the 995 carbine. They all do exactly what you buy a gun for. Go "BANG" everytime you pull the trigger. The 995 is a hoot to shoot and garners comments everytime I break it out at the range. Some good, some bad....til they try it. They are made in Ohio and guaranteed for life of the gun, not just to the original owner. In most forums, the rude comments concerning them are generally by non-owners or someone who heard from their hairdresser about his cousins husbands brother in law who saw his uncle have a kaboom with one. IOW, not credible. Any problems with them usually trace to the magazines, which sometimes require fine tuning. Try it, you'll like it. Just one recommendation. Since the 380 and 9mm share a common frame and weigh the same (25 oz), just go ahead and get the 9mm.
    Last edited by MSGTTBAR; September 17th, 2007 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typos
    Life is too short to be serious!

Administrator
    To be honest with you I've handled them in the gun shop and they sure don't look so great - kinda ugly - and the triggers were terrible on the 2 tay I looked at.
    But, in the price range of 89 to less than 200 bucks I guess a great trigger is not to be expected.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Read a good article on the .45. The author tried to hate it, but couldn't. If I remember.. it shot well, but weighed a ton.

If I were to purchase one it would have to be really cheap. I'll give anything a day in court.

Might be nice to hide in the house as a backup or for a toy. I can think of better toys though.

If you have the 200 bucks then I would suggest saving more and getting a better firearm.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I looked at one for $99 new and it felt really top heavy to me, wasn't really impressed, so left it at the store.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

There is a High Point forum that has a lot of good information about the handguns and the carbines.

I have one of their $215.00 9mm carbines and like it a bunch . I often carry it in my car with me as a second or third.
    If you ask the majority of Hi Point owners , I think they would say that the guns are not the problem ( especially with the great warrenty). The problem is putting up with the constant ration of crap you get from the general gun public.

When the .45 acp carbine comes out , I will be obtaining it also.

Thank you all, for your advice and feedback!!! Any negative feelings on a SA XD SC 3"?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I bought 45 for my father for his birthday because he always wanted a45.I knew he wasn't well enough to shoot it ;so when he died I got
    the dam thing back! It's collecting dust somewhere in one of gun
    cabinets.It eats anything you feed it just looks bad doing it.

Here's the link to the Hi-point forum.
    http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/

I have the 45 acp model JHP. Its been a keeper.

Thumbs down

I own the .45 ONLY for testing purposes for my own amusement and to post a thread about the new models with the polymer fiber triggers.

So far it only likes 230gr UMC or stainless FMJ lead balls. I've got 250 through it with 43 jams. I've noticed that the adjustable rear sights tend to move after a few magazines or a drop. It was first shot from a bench vice with some elbow high protective gloves. That's the confidence I had and still have in it. I'll have spent more for the ammo before long.

So far all I can say is that it's great for a Redskin's fan with it's yellow and red three dot sites.

Top heavy nickel alloy powder coated slide, polymer everywhere else possible POJ in my opinion thus far. I bought it for under $170 to investigate. Sure it has a lifetime warranty, so did Lorcin. Where is Lorcin now? OOB!

Until I hit 500 rounds and melt it down I give it a thumbs down. If you have the money, keep saving. Go with the next step up at very least. They sell all Glock models under the .45 for $499 here in VA. I would even go with a revolver, used, stun gun, pepper spray over this gigantic, inaccurate, non-reliable POJ.

Sorry Hi Point lovers, I just can't see this being a reliable weapon or a company that is going to make it. I don't think it will blow up in my hand but I am letting my friends shoot the last rounds! That's a perfect role for it. If any of your friends like to borrow your weapons this would be a good add for your collection for those who lend.

Senior Moderator
    They look like crap but they work.
    Saw a guy that had been shot with one.
    He was dead.
    The gun did its job.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links