If you have to sell

This is a discussion on If you have to sell within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Grandfather used to say never buy anything unless you need it. Once you buy something never sell it, only trade it because if you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have to sell

My Grandfather used to say never buy anything unless you need it. Once you buy something never sell it, only trade it because if you sell it you will wind up wasting the money. He didn't mean that you had to trade a gun for a gun but a gun for furniture was OK.

2. Remove Ads

Here's a twisted one for ya. I love firearms and love to shoot. I grew up huntin til I went in, where I was issued several firearms, all I just adored. Since then I've owned several small arms (ie revolvers, semi-auto's, long guns) which at times I obsessed over, but I will never Idolize a weapon to the point where selling or trading it is THAT important (guns r like money to me just like ANY investment). I believe it is even one of the 10 big ones (idolitry?). If I need money or see a more worthy gun, then off it goes. I will rarely be without a weapon for protection but sometimes the well being of finances dictate that. I always figured the investment factor to be the REAL mentality of the valued old west when it came to firearms, which was a very practical one.

VIP Member
    1. gimmic guns
    2. ones I don't like
    3. ones I do not use
    4. ones I can't shoot well
    5. ones I use the least and could live without.

Lead Moderator
    I have only sold 2 guns in my life so far. A PT140 (Kb'ed on me , I never trusted it after that) and a Jennings .22(don't need to explain that one). I tend to just save longer to get the next gun before I am willing to sell any of em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've only sold 1: a Beretta 92FS 9mm. Realized after more instruction / education that while I shot decent with it, the large-framed handgun didn't fit my small hand.

I sold it so that I could buy a XD-9sc & it fits my hand much better and as I result I shoot it much better.

I'm planning on buying a Beretta Storm sub compact when they hit the shelves (around?) January '08 AND I'm NOT selling my XD to do it.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I finally got a gun last year that I have wanted for quite a while. I had all sorts of plans for it, SBR, Optics, etc. It turned out that whenever I had just enough money to start on those plans, something else came up that I had to put that money toward. This went on for some time and I finally decided that, while I really liked that firearm, it was sort of redundant, not to mention more expensive to shoot. I also determined that I had a rather large hole in my firearm collection. So, after a while of wrestling with myself, I made the decision to sell the redundant firearm and use that money to purchase the one to fill the gaping hole. The new one is much better suited for long term, practicle ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    ... what is/are your deciding factor/factors?
    If it doesn't get shot reasonably frequently, it's outta here. I don't purchase C&R pieces with any historical value, so it's all got to have a basic purpose.

The past 2yrs has seen a number of guns cycle through the safe, as I am refining the collection to a small and compatible group. I have a couple of shotguns, one for field and one for HD; one accurate range rifle for plinking; a lever-action .44mag, for the field; a couple of 9mm pistols for primary carry; a .380 pistol for backup carry. Have a shorty AK47 coming soon and am considering adding a 9mm high-cap rifle for the field, as well, for ease of ammo selection when off the beaten path.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Have a shorty AK47 coming soon
    Hmmm - that is something still lurking on my list too! Be interested to hear your opinion when you get that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Hmmm - that is something still lurking on my list too! Be interested to hear your opinion when you get that.
    I've shot only a few AK's, but have yet to own one. This will be my first. It's the ZK-M pistol, from Red Stick Firearms. It's a short barrel, pistol format, ghost ring sights. Hopefully it survives the planned torture testing. A case of 7.62 should knock it around fairly well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I have no problem letting go of a gun that I don't use anymore. The only thing close to a regret I have was selling my second generation Glock 23 to get a third generation gun (to match the 3rd gen 22 I had). However, I have since moved on to Sig. The new owner of my 2G 23 offered to sell it back to me at a great price and I didn't have a problem letting it pass by. If I had it now, it would be a safe queen- a role that is reserved for my 1911 and nothing else.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Better to have guns and no money than money and no guns.....

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    Better to have guns and no money than money and no guns.....
    Indeed.

VIP Member
    I might sell one of my guns if the buyer could "pry my cold dead fingers off of it"
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    My first handgun I ever bought,...I traded in for my XD, I regretted it so much I saved up the extra $$ and tryed to buy it back to no avail

I'll always regret that.

poor cz

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Meh.... I don't try and look back. My tastes and interests change.

Recently sold my Walther PP as I needed to get my kid a patrol shotgun. Wasn't really needing the PP. Liked it but... it was not fitting any need I had. Worked out about right money wise so nothing really lost. It still left me with more pistols than I can carry and without a gap in coverage. And the kid won't be eyeing my old 870 anymore.

Sold one revolver recently and kept one. Wasn't needing but one around. Wanted to start collecting some Cold War era Semi Auto's before any bans were coming down the pike and before they went up any more than they already have.

And... of course... Ammo IS the new currency. Lots of that must be obtained.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links