If you have to sell

If you have to sell

This is a discussion on If you have to sell within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To gain cash for another purchase that is .......... what is/are your deciding factor/factors? Is it that a gun is not used and shot, so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Assistant Administrator

If you have to sell

To gain cash for another purchase that is .......... what is/are your deciding factor/factors?

Is it that a gun is not used and shot, so - OK to sell? Or is it that you perhaps just have not gotten on with a gun?

I hate to sell - always have and in a few cases (most) have regreted the sale. I can think back with pain - on some sold guns!!!

Bottom line tho is - to get the cash for a purchase we do need to consider moving something on sometimes. Fact of life regretably.

I probably put most emphasis on lack of use ..... trying of course to never have bought anything I didn't like. I have a few that could be ''candidates'' but despite their lack of use - still shudder to think of moving them on!

Anyone want a Marlin Camp 9 or Camp 45
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have a hard time letting anything go. Even the ones that I can't shoot well.

I have a Smith&Wesson 422 that I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from inside the barn with the muzzle resting on the wall. I still can't bring myself to sell it. I keep thinking that one day I will get it "dialed in" and be able to do something with it.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Assistant Administrator
    I had a P12-45 that was not doing too well - until I replaced extractor with a "Bullet proof" - after which it ran good - but I traded it plus some cash for a nice SIG 228 - only 3 weeks old.

But - have to say - still wish the Para was here, even if sittin in safe for most of the time! Can't have everything tho.
    Chris - P95

I once had a 44 mag, model 29 S&W. I sold it after thinking of several reasons why the gun was not practical for me to own. All reasons for selling were true enough but I've regretted to this day ever selling that gun.

Assistant Administrator
    I've regretted to this day ever selling that gun.
    That's the problem!!! No matter how (at the time) we feel a gun is ''not needed'' or practical - we look back later with regret! Dang - it really is hard to sell and not regret.

My P3AT was I think the only gun I ever sold - and do not miss!
    Chris - P95

I really don't like selling anything now. I did sell a few pistols in my earlier days, and I regret every sale.
    Right now I have a Beretta 9000S, I used to carry it and never had a problem with it...it just sits in the safe, but I just can't bring myself to part with it...

I'd rather have the extra guns than the cash!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    At this point, I haven't sold any of the firearms that I've ever owned. I'm planning to try and keep it that way. I just inherited a pair of .22LR's from my grandfathers estate, and want to be able to pass my toys onto my offspring when I leave...

Personally, I'm going to try and avoid selling any of the guns that I've acquired, as I've had a specific reason for getting each and every one of them...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Funny you mention that.

I have been thinking of selling my SKS. I don't shoot it much due to ammo prices and the fact that I am more into pistols.

Considerations.. not in any order.

ammo pricing?
    how much do you shoot it?
    how much can you expect to get for the item?
    is that enough to warrant the sale?
    will the sale of this item enable you to buy that new "toy"?
    sentimental feelings?
    is there a chance that you will regret the sale?

This is just my list. I am a big proponent for "does it have a purpose and what does it cost me to shoot it?". I don't have a ton of cash so things have to have a purpose. Decisions have to be made.

That being said... I have never sold a gun.

I guess the list works.

My SKS has some nice custom work and I know it won't bring as much as I would like. I think I'll just hold onto her.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    I'm probably the exact opposite. I only have a personal attachment to a few more than a few firearms that I own and will never sell them.
    I sure have sold/traded back many....and sometimes just outright dumped them at a major loss.
    A few I sure have regretted selling but, the vast majority I never even think about.
    Many I have sold or traded right back to the dealer that I bought them from. I would usually always get more $$ in trade for mine than most folks would get since I knew my dealer.
    How many have I parted with or dumped total?
    Probably 40 or so. Maybe a few more than than that.
    I never bought junque guns but, out of that total - probably 3 or 4 that I regret selling but, I never look back.
    Years ago I dumped all 12 of my bolt action game rifles at one shot and I don't miss them at all since I don't hunt anymore. They went to a good home.
    My trusty ol' Winchester 30/30 I could never sell though.
    Once I decided that semi-automatic was the way to go (for me) and Self-Defense carry I dumped all of my wheelies save for 2.
    I kept one S&W Centennial and a Ruger .44 SA.
    I don't really miss the other ones that I said bye~bye to.
    I guess to me most firearms really are just tools and I have some special ones and the remainder will always be expendable.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I once had a 44 mag, model 29 S&W. I sold it after thinking of several reasons why the gun was not practical for me to own. All reasons for selling were true enough but I've regretted to this day ever selling that gun.
    Oh, man, do I feel your pain!

I bought a NIB Model 29 in the early 70s for the then MSRP of $203.50. This was in the heyday of the Dirty Harry craze and finding a Model 29 for retail was practically unheard of. I had to sell it about 5 years later to cover a rather severe cash-flow shortage. I regret that to this very day.

Then there was the 2 Auto-Mag pistols I had to let go...but that's another story.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Oh, man, do I feel your pain!

I bought a NIB Model 29 in the early 70s for the then MSRP of $203.50. This was in the heyday of the Dirty Harry craze and finding a Model 29 for retail was practically unheard of. I had to sell it about 5 years later to cover a rather severe cash-flow shortage. I regret that to this very day.

Then there was the 2 Auto-Mag pistols I had to let go...but that's another story.
    Yeah..Clint Eastwood sold a lot of Model 29s back then. Most of us found little use for them after buying them. I don't remember the exact figures but I'm sure I got more for mine than I paid for it. Still wish I had it now.

"I can think back with pain - on some sold guns!!!"

It's pretty amazing how strong that feeling can be. There's one in particular that haunts me!

Only sold 1, a Taurus PT22. Don't miss it at all.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Senior Moderator
    I hate selling any gun but I have thought of selling my Uberti Cattleman, holster, reloading dies etc for .45LC becuase with a new baby I can't afford Cowboy Action and IDPA.

The money from that sell could buy alot of 9mm ammo or a Kel-Tec to carry as a pocket gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

What is this "selling of guns" of which you speak? Me? Sell my guns? Never! Sacrilege!! My wife, yeah! My dog, maybe. My guns? No way. Such heresy should never be allowed to be witnessed by innocent people.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links