UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol? - Page 2

UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol?

This is a discussion on UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The USPS offers Express guaranteed overnight with delivery confirmation and insurance. You can also use Priority Mail with DelCon and insurance. The only questions the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol?

Exclamation USPS

The USPS offers Express guaranteed overnight with delivery confirmation and insurance. You can also use Priority Mail with DelCon and insurance.
    The only questions the USPS asks is if the package contains explosives, illegal or perishable goods.
    I have used this method for years, onyl using Priority when shipping within 2 zones of the zone I ship from. All zone maps are available on each carriers web site. As long as it is shipped via an express service you or your FFL can use it, including the USPS.
    Breaking it down is allowed as well and calling it parts. I strongly urge that you do NOT use this method.
    USPS will be the least expensive over all other carriers and just as if not more reliable.

Hope that helps, all information is relative to VA residents only. I won't pretend to know the shipping laws in every state.

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    Although the frame is considered a firearm by the ATF, it does not make a difference when shipping to an FFL...

He could have told him that it was a sack of potatoes and still been fine.
    It makes a difference when your lying to the vendor thats shipping that has told you what his rules are... and if you say your not shipping a firearm, insure it, and you ARE shipping a firearm your NOT shipping it by their terms. You can kiss your insurance, and possibly your gun, good by. And you did it all to save $20. Remember that the rules say to follow the vendors requirements. And he says overnight and adult signature required for a handgun. To ship any firearm as parts when the "regulated part" is in there is a violation of the terms of shipment. We are not talking about just ATF rules here... Notice I did not say "illegal" I said "not smart".

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    It makes a difference when your lying to the vendor thats shipping that has told you what his rules are...
    I have a good friend that swears by shipping his handguns as "machined parts". It has saved him over $400 in the past two years.

He considers breaking FedEx's policy a gamble that he is willing to take.

I agree, with the point that it can be a gamble...

Well... I suppose if you are willing to take the risks then its your choice I guess. As long as he is shipping to an FFL or the right flavors then.

I have shipped a lot of things outside of the receivers as parts. Thinks like AK receivers and AR uppers.

from fdx site:http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

Firearms

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required Delivery Signature Option or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
    Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

from UPS:
    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...h_phr=firearms

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
    Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services
    Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS Express CriticalSM service, at locations of The UPS Store® or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

Follow These Packing Requirements
    Your packages that contain handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS
    Ammunition cannot be included in your packages that contain firearms (including handguns)

About Documentation and Labeling
    When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
    You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
    When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
    You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
    Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS Express CriticalSM service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
    See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for shipping firearms

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeat View Post
    The USPS offers Express guaranteed overnight with delivery confirmation and insurance. You can also use Priority Mail with DelCon and insurance.
    The only questions the USPS asks is if the package contains explosives, illegal or perishable goods.
    I have used this method for years, onyl using Priority when shipping within 2 zones of the zone I ship from. All zone maps are available on each carriers web site. As long as it is shipped via an express service you or your FFL can use it, including the USPS.
    Breaking it down is allowed as well and calling it parts. I strongly urge that you do NOT use this method.
    USPS will be the least expensive over all other carriers and just as if not more reliable.

Hope that helps, all information is relative to VA residents only. I won't pretend to know the shipping laws in every state.
    Only FFL holders may legally ship handguns via USPS. Not the way it should be, but it is the law. The law refers to "common carriers", which means UPS/FedEx/DHL, and other private carriers. The USPS is not a "common carrier".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links