UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol?

This is a discussion on UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which do you prefer and why? I have only shipped a couple of times and it has always been UPS, but the last time it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPS or FedEx for shipping a pistol?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Which do you prefer and why? I have only shipped a couple of times and it has always been UPS, but the last time it was close to $70! Seems like it used to only run about $35-$40. Is FedEx any cheaper or easier?
    Thanks,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

1943 - 2009
    I shipped my Browning Buckmark to the service center for repair a couple of weeks ago, via UPS, next day air. Cost $47.50.

UPS won't ship handguns by ground, so I didn't have much choice.

I didn't check with FedEx, don't know if they would have been any cheaper.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Which ever you choose be sure to remember to insure the package for it's retail _replacement_ value, which will increase net shipping cost.
    Don't do so and your package goes missing (which does happen!) and boom you are out $40 plus the value of your now in the wind and on the streets firearm.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Check with your local FFL first. I think they can ship US Mail or they get cheaper rates than other humans. Last weapon I sent came out $30 cheaper than FedEx
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I used UPS once and it was fairly pain free.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Before you select your carrier read the fine print in their insurance. A friend of mine learned the hard way that even though the agent sold him the insurance and was informed that he was an FFL shipping a firearm their coverage specifically excludes firearms. Of course, I can't remember if it was FED EX or DHL that pulled the fast one on him.

CCH
    I shipped via Fed Ex overnight (they said I had to use priority) from Colorado to Illinois and it was $66. It was about $50 just a couple of months ago to do the same shipment. They said something about fuel surcharges??? It seems pretty cost prohibitive to ship handguns for private parties.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I appreciate all of the input. I went with FedEx. It was hassle-free and much simpler than UPS. It was a little under $50 with insurance (and plenty of it!). As CCH pointed out, it is getting cost prohibitive to ship.
    Thanks again to all!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Last weekend I shipped out two pistols, one to SA and a second to SigArms.

My costs were the following:

SigArms
    2nd Day Air $12
    Insurance $24 ($900)
    Fuel surcharge $2

Springfield Armory
    2nd Day Air $20
    Insurance $18 ($1.2K)
    Fuel Surcharge $3
    Rural Surcharge $3

Upon being asked by the counter person what I was shipping that required such high amounts for insurance (which he said he doesn't see requested all that often) I replied that they were firearm parts which was the truth as they both were in cases broken down and disassembled. Neither was capable of functioning either as they both were in need of warranty repair due to parts failure (heavy use wear).

No fuss, no muss, and my Sig came back yesterday via UPS.
    If I had not chosen to go with insurance and at a replacement cost value I'd have paid roughly half as much as I did.
    I will be using UPS again in a week or so when the SA comes back and I turn it around along with a Colt to have their sights updated though I'll be sending just the slides.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ground shipping

I don't know if it's legal or not, but on glocktalk.com, someone said you can ship via ground if you send your firearms to manufacturers for repairs. He said he just used $7 UPS ground to ship his Glock to Glock factory in Georgia and didn't declare it as a firearm. When the clerk asked the content of his shipment, he said "hole punch".

Bersa factory warranty service just said to field strip it, box it up, and ship it as "parts" via ground. Shipped it off insured and they didn't even ask what was inside!? This was with FedEx.

I was given the option of shipping by ground but I wanted a relatively quick turnaround in return (ground can take up to 5 days) and I didn't want my arms being out there in the system for as long as 5 days.
    For the cost of shipping (excluding additional insurance) the 2 day air option was for me not too bad as costs did compare.

But disassemble it (or send only the part(s) that require review) and if asked label it as 'parts' FTdiscountedpriceW.

- Janq

I totally forgot about 2-day air. Probably would have done that instead of ground.

Shipping as Parts? When one of those parts is the gun? Not smart. One of the parts, either the frame or the receiver is ALWAYS a firearm. Even when disassembled. Always...

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Shipping as Parts? When one of those parts is the gun? Not smart. One of the parts, either the frame or the receiver is ALWAYS a firearm. Even when disassembled. Always...
    Although the frame is considered a firearm by the ATF, it does not make a difference when shipping to an FFL...

He could have told him that it was a sack of potatoes and still been fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links