Clean that carry gun!!

Clean that carry gun!!

This is a discussion on Clean that carry gun!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My EDC is SIG 226 ST but - most of my practice is with 228 - very very similar and also has CT grips too. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean that carry gun!!

Assistant Administrator

Clean that carry gun!!

My EDC is SIG 226 ST but - most of my practice is with 228 - very very similar and also has CT grips too. So close really as to not matter much.

Result of this is my EDC gets cleaned/lubed less than if shot itself frequently. Keeps it at the ready with less hassle.

This evening did a routine field strip for wipe and lube but - decided it perhaps was time to take off the CT's and clean beneath, plus treat grip screws and other steel aspects due to corrosion tendencies.

....... lint????? - I'll say!! Quite how stuff works its way in deep is hard to tell but - it does.!! Not I might add enough to prejudice adequate function but - even so, a bit alarming.

Moral of story is - even if you don't shoot the EDC a lot - check it out!!! If it wasn't for my main camera being en route for service (CCD gone down) - I'd have taken a pic - but that would have been embarrassing too LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Dust bunnies.

Yea, I have them here too.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    Holy moley Eric - they ain't bunnies - they's straight outa the vacuum bag LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    My buddy has found a muzzle full of lint before too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My buddy has found a muzzle full of lint before too.
    OK, who's going to do a range report?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Ditto on keeping the carry gun in tip top condition.
    They have some pretty neat new lubes for the firearm internals that do not attract and/or hold dust.
    Brownell's has a 2 step metal protective/lube that is supposed to work super well.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I found that I have to clean my EDC at least once a month.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Very good advice. QKShooter, could you pass on the name of some of the lubes you mentioned?

I wipe my two EDC's down nightly and clean them after every trip to the range. For me that means every two weeks at a minimum.

The lint "duxt bunnies" pictured is why I favor a Revolver. Ankles and Pockets are notorius for attracting those "dust bunnies" to your gun. The picture of those "dust bunnies" reminds me of why my BUG is a S&W 442. I'd hate to have my Kahr malfunction due to something like that. Heck, I'd hate to have any gun malfunction in a "time of need".

Biker

Administrator
    I remember being called crazy when I first joined up here for saying that carrying a gun is harder on them than shooting it. Lint is the most common thing in a carry gun, but I've found cheese, lettuce and other food product in guns before too. I've seen a less than quality gun almost rusted shut (I could work the action by hand, but in no way would it function on its own) from sweat. The guy carried it daily, and brought it to me to help him find a new holster.
    So yeah, inspect and clean them often.
    "Just blame Sixto"

P95,

Two weeks ago I was at the range training with both my EDC 1911s.
    I normally shoot twice a week and unlike seemingly many 1911 owners they have been for years solidly dependable. Not once in the past ever having so much as a hiccup.

After noticing that my Defender was holding open with rounds still in the mag I decided to swap out the ~3 yr. old recoil spring for a new one. I wipe her down as well and add a tad bid of lube and call it done.
    I then look at my other an SA and decide to break her down too to wipe it down and add a tab bit of lube. In doing so I remove the slide and I then hear a tink sound. I look down and at my feet is the ejector. It completely fell out of the frame of the gun. The rear most retention pin was completely sheared.
    The gun had been functioning fine while at the range. I do not know though how long it's been broken as the last time I'd broken that gun down had been a couple of weeks prior.
    I'd worn that gun on the street and into the range prior and again back on the street thereafter until I got home. I'd still be carrying it if I had not effectively on a whim decided to check & tech it _before_ noticing something was wrong with it. Same goes for the Defender which now is back to shooting solid as it had been prior.

A week later while in a gun-fu course the instructor talked about his own weapons for duty and concealed carry use.
    He admonished us all in class, LEOs and civilians, to inspect our EDC daily dependant firearm on a daily basis each night upon making it home.
    That way we know the next morning that if that day is our day that at the very least our firearm (pistol/shotgun/rifle) will be fully functional and not leave us in the lurch.

Then again in a waterfowl class I was in this past Saturday a classmate mentioned how he went out with his "trusty" shotgun without checking it for function prior. Well he gets rigged up in his gear, sits out in the cold waiting for a fly over, and when he has a duck within range he pulls the trigger only to find out his safety was broken and locking into the safe position. The gun refused to allow the trigger to pull. He learned a lesson that day and shared that lesson with the rest of us.

If you depend on your gear to work everyday then work to make sure it's dependable, everyday.
    I've got my SA boxed up next to me right now to send off to SA for warranty repair. Meanwhile I've now been making it a new habit to field strip and function check my remaining 'backup' EDC every night before going to bed. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to do plus washing of my hands time.
    A very slight annoyance as relative to being caught with my gear down. :|

$0.02 street

- Janq

P.S. - I forgot to mention.
    Seeing as I'd bought the SA at the same time as the Colt I decided it might be a good idea to swap out it's likely equally worn out recoil spring and did so that night. Thankfully I happened to have replacement recoil springs on hand which brings to mind the idea that one might be good to keep on hand minor user serviceable spare parts just in case one finds themselves with a broken gun and limited or no access to a gunsmith.
    Last edited by Janq; September 18th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've noticed I sometimes have to do more than just a basic field strip and clean on mine. I carry a 1911 cocked and locked in an IWB holster and I've noticed that the evil "dust bunnies" try to get down in that little open space between the hammer and the bottom of the firing-pin stop so they get down into the frame. So I do a full detail strip at least once a month(outside of my regular weekly cleaning) just to make sure nothing managed to get down in around the sear spring, housing etc... and muck things up.

...Click... -I think that would be the worst feeling ever, probably worse than the dying part itself...to need the gun, pull the trigger, and it not go boom!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have recently purchased my first 9 mm semi-auto and have read about cleaning and lubing the mag. Never heard or thought much about that before. It was suggested to take the mag apart to clean and lube it. Do dust bunnys get inside the mag also ? I have only had revolvers before.
    Any comments?
    Thanks !

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Once, during a yearly armorers check, I removed dried duck sauce from under the hammer of an issued S&W 4566. Don't ask me how I made the ID.

Quote Originally Posted by ezman38 View Post
    It was suggested to take the mag apart to clean and lube it. Do dust bunnys get inside the mag also ?
    Sure, mags can get dirt and stuff in them. The good thing is that most mags are very easy to take apart and inspect. Note:

1) Make sure the spring goes back the way it came out. Some mags can be re-assembled with the spring in the wrong orientation.

2) You don't want your mags to be 'wet' with lube as that will *attract* dirt and debris.

Personally I don't really 'lube' my mags. I just make sure they are clean and wipe down with silicon cloth.

-john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links