Oil the bore?

This is a discussion on Oil the bore? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is a HUGE danger of ruining your gun if you leave excessive lube in the bore. I have seen an AR15 rifle with a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil the bore?

Danger

There is a HUGE danger of ruining your gun if you leave excessive lube in the bore. I have seen an AR15 rifle with a bubbled barrel due to this, and I think I'd prefer to avoid that.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

I think the misunderstanding may be in the term "lubricating". If your going to store the gun the lubrication of choice would be a good grade gun GREASE. This is ONLY if your going to store the firearm. For general after use cleaning a small amount of gun OIL should be applied to prevent corrosion. This comes from professional gunsmiths and shooters.

I coat the bores on all my guns with gun oil at least twice a year, but! I live in Florida where things rust fairly quick.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

VIP Member
    Interesting. I have generally not used oil after cleaning but have left a slight coating of Hoppes. I'll clean with the Hoppes and then run a single dry patch through.

Does Hoppes count as a lubricant for rust protection purposes?

eww
    I'm with those that put a light coat of oil in the bore. I do clean all the oil/lube out of the bore of my black powder firearms before loading them.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Handguns are a little more forgiving than rifles in a lot of ways. A thin coat of oil is not going to hurt you on a handgun. Unless, it is a creeping oil that can work its way into the case and screw up your powder. However on a rifle I would say without question, no oil whatsoever. It'll do all sorts of bad things to you in a rifle.

Oiled, but finished with one pass of a dry patch.

Whenever I strip, clean and lube a pistol, I fully coat the metal parts with CLP to clean, then dry external surfaces completely. Once a year or so, I take a bore scrubber and clean that out really well. But, I always run a couple patches through with CLP, then one final dry patch to ensure the worst of it isn't left in the bore. CLP (or Militec-1) being what it is, a fine, thin coat of protectant is left on the surface. As I don't shoot every day, I want that protectant working between sessions. Often, just before a range session, I'll quick lube the slide rails, the bore of the barrel, then run a final dry patch through. Works well. Have shot ~100K rounds with a variety of pistols in the past 15yrs without ill effects, this way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I don't oil my guns' bores. I have never had a problem with rusting inside the bore, so I don't figure there is any reason to bother risking any possible problems (due to either gunk or excess liquid). Why mess with what's working fine?

Read your manual!

From the Beretta manual:
    " Lightly oil the inside of the barrel by passing through it a clean cotton patch soaked in gun oil."

Been doing this all along with no problems of gunk build up and don't have to worry about rust problems, following this prescribed procedure.

I use Beretta gun oil.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post

A very light coat of oil in the bore of a rifle that you don't want or expect sub MOA accuracy out of is fine. But oil in the bore of a rifle that you do want accuracy out of, will screw you up. The presence of lubricants in your bore not only change the practical dimensions of your bore, but inhibit the brass from consistantly "grabbing" the bore and allowing consistant start pressure.

VIP Member
    A light film of clp is good, just clean it out before use.

Lead Moderator
    I have oiled all my barrels since learning to shoot. No bad has ever happened. I feel light oil is fine, having lube /oil dripping is just overkill.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I've been leaving a light film of oil in all barrels since I was a kid, I've never noticed in adverse affects. I also see some valid points on not oiling the barrel.

However, how about this idea? Light film of oil for storage, dry patch through it before range practice? Best of both worlds !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links