Oil the bore?

This is a discussion on Oil the bore? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe I could get some feedback here to settle a little disagreement I have with a co-worker regarding oiling the bore of your pistol. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil the bore?

Oil the bore?

Maybe I could get some feedback here to settle a little disagreement I have with a co-worker regarding oiling the bore of your pistol.

I am from the school that once you clean the gun, the bore should also have a very light coat of CLP or other protectant put in it.

My co-worker says your bore should be *dry*, so that it doesn’t collect gunk, which he claims could even be a safety issue.

I say that is inviting more problems like rust, etc.

What say you? Oil or CLP in the bore or not?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

I would think the danger of collecting rust would trump the danger of collecting "gunk." If the gun is muzzle down in a holster, what is going to pull gunk into it, reverse field gravity? I just don't overdo it on the oil.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I leave a light coating of oil on my bores after cleaning.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Administrator
    DO NOT OIL THE BORE! Unless it is going into storage. Yes, the oil will collect gunk, but more important, the oil will not compress as the bullet travels down the bore. Some of it will burn off, but not all of it.
    Most owners manuals will tell you this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    DO NOT OIL THE BORE! Unless it is going into storage. Yes, the oil will collect gunk, but more important, the oil will not compress as the bullet travels down the bore. Some of it will burn off, but not all of it.
    Yep...mine says this as well.

Rick

Hogwash!

I have left a light coating of CLP in my bore for the past 20 years, and have suffered no ill effects because of it.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Had to get some of my owners manuals out and they ALL say "Lightly moisten a patch with gun oil and pass it once through the barrel, leaving a thin film of oil on the inside surface", or something very similar for cleaning procedures. This is what I've always done, but thought I would check.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Had to get some of my owners manuals out and they ALL say "Lightly moisten a patch with gun oil and pass it once through the barrel, leaving a thin film of oil on the inside surface", or something very similar for cleaning procedures. This is what I've always done, but thought I would check.
    I do the same. After cleaning I run a lightly oiled patch through the bore.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    a light film is all that's needed, to act as a barrior against oxidation. I think the danger comes from over-oiling the bore, but I would not leave it dry, especially if you happen to live in a salt-air environment.

This is right out of the Sigarms manual that came with my P239:

Barrel and chamber:
    Clean the barrel and the chamber from the rear with a quality cleaning solvent,
    using a cleaning rod and brush of the correct caliber. Never clean the barrel
    from the muzzle end. Wipe the interior and exterior of the barrel free of all
    residue. Lightly lubricate the barrel, inside and out, with a quality lubricant
    designed for firearms.

IMPORTANT

It is your responsibility to maintain your pistol.
    If rust appears in the bore, the barrel should be replaced.
    PRIOR TO SHOOTING MAKE SURE THE BORE IS DRY.

Kahr Manual:

I checked the manual that came with my Kahr PM9. It said that "after each shooting session the cleaning process should be performed to remove firing residue from inside and outside the barrel. Once cleaned, all parts should be lightly lubricated with a commercial gun lubricant."

It's no wonder that there are different interpretations of what to do regarding oiling the inside of the barrel. One would have to be an excellent 'wordsmith' in order to render an indisputable opinion on the subject.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

From S&W revolver manual:

After the cleaning, there may be some residue in both the barrel and cylinder that works out and becomes apparent within 24-48 hours. This can be removed with a bristle brush and a light reapplication of powder removing solvent after which the oil film should be re-established on all surfaces.

From S&W M&P manual:

After cleaning, lightly coat the metal parts, internal and external with a high quality gun oil

From Ruger Pistol manual:

After cleaning, run a dry patch through the bore, then follow with a patch that is very lightly oiled.

From SigArms manual:

Lightly lubricate the barrel, inside and out, with a quality lubricant designed for firearms.

From Taurus Pistol manual:

For normal cleaning of handgun not used or kept in storage for some time, it is necessary to rub it with a lightly oiled cloth. In the same way proceed with the bore of the barrel. The excess of oil must be removed, but a thin protecting film should remain.

I cannot find any manufacturer that recommends NO oil in the barrel. Some have cautions against EXCESS oil in the barrel and some don't touch the subject at all or the wording of their instructions are ambiguous at best. However, as shown in the examples above, most of the manufacturers instruct to leave a light coating of oil even in the barrel. In almost 40 years of shooting this is what I've done and have never had a problem with the amount of oil in a barrel nor have I ever had a bore develop any rust or pitting. JMHO

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have always run a patch with a little bit of oil through the barrel and followed it up with a dry patch. That leaves just a slight coating. I've never had any problems with this method.

i use TETRA. which has a bore lubricant that you are suppose to use. then u also run dry patches through it afterwards.
    so its probably really fine stuff.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel more comfortable with a little CLP in the bore; I don't drench it, but run a patch through, and then a dry one so that it is just a very very light film.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats has always been my understanding as well.
    Nothing is to be in a bore but bullets and air.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links