Defensive Carry banner

Long term firearm storage for year long deployment to Iraq

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ClosetCaseNerd 
#1 ·
Okay, my dilemma:

I'm leaving for a year for deployment to Iraq and with the new deployments for the National Guard (year total, no longer 18 months...supposedly :rolleyes:) I will not have a mid deployment break to come back to the states.

My gun safe is not a true, fire and water proof gun safe, with no climate control capabilities. It is one of the cheapies from cabela's, ect. Further I have no "gun guy" friends that I can lend my firearms to look after them for me. (They will be kept at a close friends home in said cheapie safe, but he is not well versed in firearms) I am worried most about humidity, rust, corrosion, ect...

In what manner should I go about storing my firearms for long term (entire length of deployment) storage? Beyond treating with eezox rust inhibitor, I am truly ignorant about how to go about this.

Advice is much appreciated!

#4 ·
Some Gun ranges offer storage. Not sure of the cost though.

And above all else thank you for your service, keep safe over there.

#6 ·
Suggestion

Brownell's has a product that is GREAT.
It is a vapor phase rust inhibitor.
As long as you can Plastic Bag whatever it is that you don't want to rust then you only need to wipe off fingerprints and then "bag" your guns and you'll not need to drench them in oil or cover them with heavy grease. The stuff works incredibly well. I've used it for years.
It USED TO BE a white powder but, that been changed.
Same stuff different (more user friendly) format.
I'll get the name of it for you. You'll love it.

#8 ·
That's the way I would go, maybe with some silicon packets in there as well, to soak up moisture and oxygen.

#9 ·
Would it be possible to grease it down, put it in a gun sock and leave it with family? If not then get with your armory or security force and see if they will store it while your gone. Good luck and Godspeed.

#10 ·
For short guns, use the VPI/ziploc bag method, and then store them in an ammo can with more VPI tabs. A GI ammo can with a good gasket will not leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.