Colt Defender grip bushing problems

This is a discussion on Colt Defender grip bushing problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've previously mentioned my recent purchase of a Colt Defender. I really like it and it shoots well (so far) without incident. It came with ...

Thread: Colt Defender grip bushing problems

VIP Member

Colt Defender grip bushing problems

I've previously mentioned my recent purchase of a Colt Defender. I really like it and it shoots well (so far) without incident. It came with the over-sized Hogue rubber grips, I do like the grips though they aren't so great for ccw since the rubber has a tendency to cling and/or drag on my shirt. Plus they are a bit wide. I decided to get a pair of thin rosewood grips and try those out.

To change the grips is a no-brainer. Remove four screws from the Hogues and slip it off the frame, and I'm left with the four original grip bushings that need to be unscrewed and replaced by four shorter grip bushings that work with the new rosewood grips. It should be a five minute job. However, the original grip bushings are screwed in so tight that removing them is going to be TOUGH. I matched them with the right size screwdriver and they really don't budge, in fact they are made out of pretty soft metal, as I can see the slot in the metal bushing edges collapse a little from the minimal pressure I've used to attempt and unscrew them. I stopped at this point and thought before I proceeded I'd check with someone else and see if they've experienced the same overtight bushings.

BTW I'm a farmer, have a farm shop, and we're pretty good at removing stuck screws and broken-off screws etc. This situation is so delicate and the bushings are so soft that I'm afraid that I might twist the top of the bushings completely off, which compounds the problems. Also the screws are right-hand threads, so I'm going the right direction.

Funny thing, the grip bushings are overtightened but the rear sight was so loose it nearly fell off. Come on Colt mfg, this is easy quality control stuff !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    1, your stock screw bushings are probably staked in place. 2, they aren't installed or removed with a standard screw driver, because you will round or break off the corners. You'll need the correct tool for the job, you can find the right bits at Brownells;
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...DRIVER?%20BITS

or the complete tool from www.woodgrips.com
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    AHA........thanks for the info! I'm glad I stopped and asked.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I just ordered the tool, and thanks again. When I was originally writing up my problem I was hoping that you'd see it and respond. I think you ought to change your user name to "Dr Colt"

OD*
    You're very welcome Sir.

I learned about stock screw bushings the hard way meownself.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    I should add that the Colt grip screw bushings are annealed (AKA dead soft) intentionally.
    That would be because it's always better to deform or strip the easily replaceable bushing threads than the female bushing threads on/in the frame.
    So that when the G.S. bushings are staked in and you remove them they come out without damaging the frame threads which are fairly fine threads.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Great, I had a good lesson on grip bushings, and I see now why they are soft......actually a good idea. So it would be appropriate for me to retract my frustration with Colt mfg over this bushing deal since it's apparent they had a purposeful design in place and I didn't fully understand it. Now if I can just understand why my rear sight was so loose I nearly lost it.

Been there, broke that , on my Defender. Just being impatient cost me an oversize bushing tap and new bushings. I handed it off to a friend (tool and die maker) and he did a wonderful job for me.

P.S. Check out Aluma-Grip thin grip panels. Love mine.

VIP Member
    Ok, I got my grip bushing tool, and put some pressure on the bushings, but still no-go. It looks like the bottom side was staked using a little chisel, about four times around each bushing. How can I overcome/neutralize the affects of the staking?

I'm about to abandon my idea of using the thin rosewood grips. Do the aforementioned Aluma-Grip thin grip panels need a bushing change?

Yes, the Aluma Grips thin grips need a different bushing. If I remember, they are cataloged together in brownells with the aluma grips. john

OD*
    Jim,

I replied to your PM, my friend.

Administrator
    No there is no excuse for your rear sight being loose. That is a no-no and Colt is (obviously) at fault for that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Missed the part about your rear sight, QK's correct too.

The loose rear sight is an easy fix also.

Links