How do I know it's not stolen?

This is a discussion on How do I know it's not stolen? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A neighbor, in cash straits, offered to sell me an old German PPK. He bought it years ago from "a shady character". Is there anyway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I know it's not stolen?

Distinguished Member

A neighbor, in cash straits, offered to sell me an old German PPK. He bought it years ago from "a shady character". Is there anyway I can determine if it was stolen? Also, if it later is determined that it was stolen, am I subject to any legal recourse? tx!

Senior Moderator
    I'm trying to think if there is anyone that can be contacted to run the serial number and see if it was ever reported... I'm sure if you were to find out for sure it would have to do with that serial number.

Hopefully someone else has some solid answers for you, cause I really don't know.. Good question though.

Lead Moderator
    Get the serial #'s and explain to PD you wish to buy this gun, but want to make sure it isn't stolen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

stolen or involved in a past homicide or shooting.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Have him give you a signed receipt. Or go to your local FFL and fill out the paperwork with them for the transfer.

Is there any national data base for stolen firearms, that a police department could access?

Other than that, I don't know of anything you can really do. If it is worth the money, buy it and go about your business.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Go to a pawn shop and ask them to run the numbers

Yep, if it's stolen it should show up on the N.C.I.C. (National Crime Information Center). By the way, if you run across a nicely tuned Kahr T9 with custom, checkered linen, Micarta grips...it's mine. It was stolen 3 years ago, it's on the NCIC, and I sure wish someone would be as concerned as you are if they have the chance to BUY it!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Any guns I've bought in private sales, I've had a friendly LEO "run the number". I'm now of the opinion that any used gun I buy from a shop, will get run. Word is they don't run numbers, not wanting to get stuck for the $ invested. Most used guns sell before LEO gets around to checking the initial transaction.

Stay safe.
    Bob

Our local pawn is required to run the serial before they purchase it, at least that is what they told me, so either that or have a LEO run it. I think I would just get a bill of sale as already stated and go on with life, unless your state requires FFL transfers between private, honest, hard working citizens.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member
    Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Our local pawn is required to run the serial before they purchase it, at least that is what they told me, so either that or have a LEO run it.
    Not exactly Hornet. Now it could have been what the shop told you (and others) to give you (them) the "warm fuzzies".

In NC (I can not comment on other states, as laws and regulations vary), if a weapon comes through the loan or buy cycle (talking pawn shops in particular), a copy of the transaction, including make/model/and serial number, is sent to the local PD or SO for processing on their end. This includes everything from handguns to TV's. If the item turns up in their database (for household items) or a national database (in the case of firearms), the host shop is contacted, the item is held (if still in the store) or tracked down (via 4473 and state identification info). I have had this happen a couple of times and have assisted local LEO's and BATFE agents locate wanted weapons.

As for the original posters question, you can get a friendly LEO to run the serial, or go to a local FFL dealer and have a 4473 transfer done. This way, the weapon will have previous owner info. If the weapon is wanted, you could be easily cleared of the wrong-doing that the weapon is wanted for. You will likely not keep the weapon, but at least you wouldn't be spending time in the "gray bar hotel".

Rocky also had a good tip.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

get the number and call and/or go to your local police department and have them run the number.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Yep, if it's stolen it should show up on the N.C.I.C. (National Crime Information Center).
    Only if it gets reported...

I've always wondered if a person buys a used firearm from an FFL and it's later found out to be stolen, what happens? Is the FFL required to refund the money or is the purchaser SOL?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Is there any national data base for stolen firearms, that a police department could access?
    Yes . Stolen guns , like homocides never expire in NCIC . If it was stolen from someone who reported it it is in ncic , if they did not report it then it wasn't so much stolen as reallocated since they could likely not own it leagaly anyway .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I dont know if Arizona has there own, but in Florida you can look up the serial number yourself.

http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp

I dont know if there is a national database that is excessable via computer.
    Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links