1911 Officer frame vs Commander frame

This is a discussion on 1911 Officer frame vs Commander frame within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking at two hi-cap Israeli Bul polymer 1911. Both have commander length slides, one has a commander frame the other the officers, wondering how people ...

Thread: 1911 Officer frame vs Commander frame

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Looking at two hi-cap Israeli Bul polymer 1911. Both have commander length slides, one has a commander frame the other the officers, wondering how people like the officer grip size over the commander?

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-BUL/M5-Cmdr.shtm (they also come in .45acp)

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-unique/imag.../U-RP008-L.jpg

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-unique/unique-bul.shtm

Administrator
    For daily carry I would go with the Officers frame...if you're not going to carry the firearm concealed then there is absolutely no advantage to having the chopped Officer frame.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry the officer frame size - I have little hands, so not a "fit" problem, but if I were not concealed carrying it, there would be no advantage (just as QKShooter says). I find it much easier to conceal without printing than the commander/gov't size frame.
    Also, with an officer frame, if you are slamming a magazine into it, you have to train yourself to keep your little finger out of the way or you'll catch it between the mag base plate and the frame. Trust me.
    Standard frame, there's no risk of that.

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    Also, with an officer frame, if you are slamming a magazine into it, you have to train yourself to keep your little finger out of the way or you'll catch it between the mag base plate and the frame. Trust me.
    Other than this statement, I agree with everything already said. I have absolutely NO pinkie overhang with an OACP frame. Detonics (3/8" shorter) is a whole 'nuther story. Get which one best fits YOUR hands.

My favorite carry option (when I can get away with it) is a Commander slide on an OACP frame. It's the best of both worlds.

Another option (which I have not tried) is the bobbed mainspring housing. On a 1911, that bottom rear corner is the worst part to try to conceal. The bobbed MSH touts itself as a solution to this. Perhaps someone can chime in on its actual effectiveness.

YMMV,
    Herk

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Thanks, both of these guns are double stacked with a polymer frame. I won't have a chance to handle one prior to buying, although I have shot the government version. They both have the commander length slide for legal reasons (barrel must be over 4") The officer model seems to have more "cool" factor, but the commander seems more practical as I can only wear concelled on my property.

I prefer the shorter grip of my Kimber Ultra over the longer grip of my Kimber Pro...the shorter grip is definitely easier to conceal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    ...the commander seems more practical as I can only wear concelled on my property.
    Seeing that (1) you're not able to carry off your property (2) the fact that it's a double-stack grip and (3) you live in Canada, where it tends to be a little cooler, I would opt for the Commander.

Mi dos centavos,
    Herk

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Thanks, both of these guns are double stacked with a polymer frame. I won't have a chance to handle one prior to buying, although I have shot the government version. They both have the commander length slide for legal reasons (barrel must be over 4") The officer model seems to have more "cool" factor, but the commander seems more practical as I can only wear concelled on my property.
    Colin,

I carry an Officers Grip on my Stinger and it conceals and shoots very well, but that is a single stack.

I tried a double stack Para, and did not care for it at all. It was just too thick. IF you haven't had the chance to try one, I would do my utmost to find one before I laid my money down.

I really didn't like it, nor could I shoot it well.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Sponsored Links