Defensive Carry banner

Kimber?

2K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  SubNine 
#1 ·
I was in a gun store today. They had a Kimber Pro Carry Two. It was around 700.00$ I did a search on here and other forums. There seemed to be a lot of threads about jams, and FTF. I'd like a nice 1911. But what gives? Are KImbers really that good? Other than Colt. What are some other good 1911s? Para? When I do(if I do) ever get one I'd like to keep it around 700 or800. Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
I've owned a Kimber Pro Carry II for over 3 years. I have fired 1500 rds thru it and it's been 100 % reliable out of the box. I did a trigger job on mine because it had a 5 lb trigger out of the box. Now it has a 4 lb trigger pull. I bought the alloy frame model for carry. The lite weight makes it a joy to carry all day long.

Kimber tried external extractors for a number of years and had major problems with their reliability. But they went back to internal extractors a couple of years ago and the pistols have worked fine since then. They put out a lemon sometimes and so do all the other manufactures. But they make great pistols for the money.

#3 ·
After talking to several knowledgeable people (my gunsmith, and some people on this board), I was convinced NOT to get a Kimber. Reliability issues etc.

I'm looking at getting another Colt. Colts don't lose their value. also they have great factory service. If it ain't right, they'll make it good!!

#4 ·
Kimbers, Colts and reliability

I have 6 Colt 1911s and one Kimber, a Pro CDP model. I have always been happy with the functioning of my Colts and bought the Kimber a couple of years ago, mainly because I was curious about Kimbers. In fact, I traded a Colt Gold Cup Trophy model for the Kimber.

The Kimber was slightly used when I got it, and I have fired perhaps 1,000 rounds through the gun. It has worked just fine and I trust it enough to use it for carry. The light weight of the aluminum frame and the slim profile make it an easy gun to carry and conceal. If you are in the market for that type of gun, I'd say that the Kimber Pro is an equal alternative to the lightweight Colt Commander.

#5 ·
I'm a big fan of Colt and Les Baer, but we had a chance to test a S&W Friday, very impressive pistol. A Commander sized LW Smith might be worth looking into.

#7 ·
I think that a lot of the problems that you hear about with kimbers involves the Utras (3 inch versions), and those with the external extractor as stated in previous posts. I have an Ultra Carry, which is my EDC. Mine has an internal extractor and I have never had any problems with it.

As far as other brands look at, I would look into all that have already been mentioned. I have also seen some good reviews recently on the Dan Wesson line of 1911s distributed by CZ. They are listed around $850-900 on gunbroker and can be had in 45acp or 10mm.

#8 ·
I have a few Kimbers, they all have proven to be great guns. They are the only 1911's that have worked correct out of the box.
I have a Colt or two and a Springfield. The only reason I kept the Colts is because they are Colts and one Springfield was kept because my work bench just wouldnt be the same without it.

#9 ·
I have owned at least three or four Kimbers. I've only kept one. And while I like this one, and carry it often, it will probably be the last Kimber I ever buy.

I've had too many problems with them (including spending hundreds of dollars and waiting three months for a gunsmith to get done working on two Kimbers, only to tell us he'd never seen so much wrong with a stock gun in his career as a gunsmith specializing in 1911s... the gun still isn't reliable), known too many people (personally) who have had problems with them.

My husband and I agree.. We wash our hands of Kimber.

I'd recommend Springfield, Colt or even Sig before Kimber (unless it's a pre-series II, then go for it).

#16 ·
I have owned at least three or four Kimbers. I've only kept one. And while I like this one, and carry it often, it will probably be the last Kimber I ever buy.

I've had too many problems with them (including spending hundreds of dollars and waiting three months for a gunsmith to get done working on two Kimbers, only to tell us he'd never seen so much wrong with a stock gun in his career as a gunsmith specializing in 1911s... the gun still isn't reliable), known too many people (personally) who have had problems with them.

My husband and I agree.. We wash our hands of Kimber.
And, per your avatar text, your carry gun is a Kimber Ultra CDP? :blink:

#11 ·
I think the problems they have had just recently is because they got away from making just quality pistols, and to much effort was going into making the "My first BBQ gun" stuff.
Once they figure this out, I think they will land back on top of the heap.

#13 ·
The external extractors were a problem. They were a cost-cutting exercise that failed miserably. Don't buy one.

I have a 3 inch Ultra with the real Browning extractor, and it has never skipped a beat from new. However, these lightweight guns don't have the inertia the steel ones do, and are not forgiving when someone limp-wrists them.

I know, I know, real men never limp-wrist guns, nor do they ever flinch. BS! I have had several people complain about malfunctions, and when I fire them, guess what? They function fine. I can't reproduce the problem until I hold them loosely, and then they will tie up.

#15 ·
I have 2 Kimbers, a Desert Warrior and an Ultra CDP II. Both have been excellent. I've been especially impressed with the Ultra, because of its reliability, in light of the "alleged" problems with 1911s having less than 4" barrels. For me, it's the ideal every-day carry handgun. The Desert Warrior is my primary home defense handgun. I would not hesitate to acquire another Kimber.

#18 ·
My carry weapon of choice is a Kimber Ultra Carry and I've had absolutely no problems with it. I'm not saying this is the case but many problems arise from improper routine maintenance, primarily cleaning. The main thing is to pick a firearm you are comfortable with.

#19 ·
I've got about 1,200 rounds through my Kimber Pro Carry HD II. Its the ALL stainless version. Been very reliable, I think I've had 1 FTE, and 1 FTF. Both were towards the beginning.
Its no Beretta 92FS as far as reliability, but I can't complain. Trust it enough to carry it when I carry.

#22 ·
I have two Kimbers, CDP II's...a Pro and an Ultra...
I've had no problems at all, and I love both guns...I usually carry the Ultra, and I trust my life to it!

OMO...yours may differ!

#23 ·
There is only one true 1911.

If I were to buy another 1911 from another manufacturer (and I plan to soon) it is stacked in this order as of now. I'll be asking for opinions next month when I go get it.

Wilson Combat
Les Baer
Sig

That's it. I am not impressed with Kimber. Take OD's advice and look at their forum and the owners comments!:ticking:

#28 ·
I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra and have fired right at 500 rounds with no problems at all! I have fired both ball and hollow points from remington, winchester, and speer. The only change was I bought 2 additional magazines from Tripp Research because the original Kimber magazine was ejecting the spent cases into my forehead! New mags fixed that problem...

#29 ·
This has over 23000 rounds on it and about a million dry fire rounds on the MIM firing pin stop, etc... still tight!!!
Kimber Team Match II (.45 cal) serves as a USPSA race gun.
With the External Extractor!!!

Had an other "Mimber" wit the EE also before, sold it with 26000 rounds on it.
I would not hesitate to buy another Kimber, however I feel that their true value is in the 800-1000 dollar price range.
Keep in mind that $1400 can buy you a Les Baer.

I vise shopper would look at other things than the brand name printed on the slide. Namely the way the frame is cut ( under the trigger guard and by the grip safety) different frames will sit in your hand differently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.