Kimber?

Kimber?

This is a discussion on Kimber? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in a gun store today. They had a Kimber Pro Carry Two. It was around 700.00$ I did a search on here and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber?

Kimber?

I was in a gun store today. They had a Kimber Pro Carry Two. It was around 700.00$ I did a search on here and other forums. There seemed to be a lot of threads about jams, and FTF. I'd like a nice 1911. But what gives? Are KImbers really that good? Other than Colt. What are some other good 1911s? Para? When I do(if I do) ever get one I'd like to keep it around 700 or800. Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I was in a gun store today. They had a Kimber Pro Carry Two. It was around 700.00$ I did a search on here and other forums. There seemed to be a lot of threads about jams, and FTF. I'd like a nice 1911. But what gives? Are KImbers really that good? Other than Colt. What are some other good 1911s? Para? When I do(if I do) ever get one I'd like to keep it around 700 or800. Thanks for any input.
    I've owned a Kimber Pro Carry II for over 3 years. I have fired 1500 rds thru it and it's been 100 % reliable out of the box. I did a trigger job on mine because it had a 5 lb trigger out of the box. Now it has a 4 lb trigger pull. I bought the alloy frame model for carry. The lite weight makes it a joy to carry all day long.

Kimber tried external extractors for a number of years and had major problems with their reliability. But they went back to internal extractors a couple of years ago and the pistols have worked fine since then. They put out a lemon sometimes and so do all the other manufactures. But they make great pistols for the money.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

After talking to several knowledgeable people (my gunsmith, and some people on this board), I was convinced NOT to get a Kimber. Reliability issues etc.

I'm looking at getting another Colt. Colts don't lose their value. also they have great factory service. If it ain't right, they'll make it good!!

Kimbers, Colts and reliability

I have 6 Colt 1911s and one Kimber, a Pro CDP model. I have always been happy with the functioning of my Colts and bought the Kimber a couple of years ago, mainly because I was curious about Kimbers. In fact, I traded a Colt Gold Cup Trophy model for the Kimber.

The Kimber was slightly used when I got it, and I have fired perhaps 1,000 rounds through the gun. It has worked just fine and I trust it enough to use it for carry. The light weight of the aluminum frame and the slim profile make it an easy gun to carry and conceal. If you are in the market for that type of gun, I'd say that the Kimber Pro is an equal alternative to the lightweight Colt Commander.

OD*
    I'm a big fan of Colt and Les Baer, but we had a chance to test a S&W Friday, very impressive pistol. A Commander sized LW Smith might be worth looking into.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I never considered a S&W. MIght be one to look at.

I think that a lot of the problems that you hear about with kimbers involves the Utras (3 inch versions), and those with the external extractor as stated in previous posts. I have an Ultra Carry, which is my EDC. Mine has an internal extractor and I have never had any problems with it.

As far as other brands look at, I would look into all that have already been mentioned. I have also seen some good reviews recently on the Dan Wesson line of 1911s distributed by CZ. They are listed around $850-900 on gunbroker and can be had in 45acp or 10mm.
    The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington

Administrator
    I have a few Kimbers, they all have proven to be great guns. They are the only 1911's that have worked correct out of the box.
    I have a Colt or two and a Springfield. The only reason I kept the Colts is because they are Colts and one Springfield was kept because my work bench just wouldnt be the same without it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I have owned at least three or four Kimbers. I've only kept one. And while I like this one, and carry it often, it will probably be the last Kimber I ever buy.

I've had too many problems with them (including spending hundreds of dollars and waiting three months for a gunsmith to get done working on two Kimbers, only to tell us he'd never seen so much wrong with a stock gun in his career as a gunsmith specializing in 1911s... the gun still isn't reliable), known too many people (personally) who have had problems with them.

My husband and I agree.. We wash our hands of Kimber.

I'd recommend Springfield, Colt or even Sig before Kimber (unless it's a pre-series II, then go for it).

OD*
    Check the Kimber section on any of the 1911 forums, see what the owners think.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    I think the problems they have had just recently is because they got away from making just quality pistols, and to much effort was going into making the "My first BBQ gun" stuff.
    Once they figure this out, I think they will land back on top of the heap.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the feedback. I've done some research, and the external extractor seems to be the a lot of the problem.

The external extractors were a problem. They were a cost-cutting exercise that failed miserably. Don't buy one.

I have a 3 inch Ultra with the real Browning extractor, and it has never skipped a beat from new. However, these lightweight guns don't have the inertia the steel ones do, and are not forgiving when someone limp-wrists them.

I know, I know, real men never limp-wrist guns, nor do they ever flinch. BS! I have had several people complain about malfunctions, and when I fire them, guess what? They function fine. I can't reproduce the problem until I hold them loosely, and then they will tie up.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

I LOVE my Kimber Pro CDP series 1. Kimber, IMO has the best customer service out of all the companies. Every gun from now on will be a Kimber, or Wilson Combat. Outside 1911 style pistols, I would buy Walthers (P99 9mm) or Glocks 9mm/.45

I have 2 Kimbers, a Desert Warrior and an Ultra CDP II. Both have been excellent. I've been especially impressed with the Ultra, because of its reliability, in light of the "alleged" problems with 1911s having less than 4" barrels. For me, it's the ideal every-day carry handgun. The Desert Warrior is my primary home defense handgun. I would not hesitate to acquire another Kimber.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links